$5 for Your Health: Chopsticks

by Rachel on November 3, 2009

Goood Tuesday morning!

First, I have to draw attention to the new artwork decorating the blog! My mom did the drawing and my friend Sean turned it into a banner. I’m rather excited about it, mainly because there’s still a green apple, but also because my cartoon hair looks big and full of secrets.

OK. Onto the business of the day!

So, after a weekend spent as a sushi roll, I started thinking about all the creative things you can do with chopsticks, besides just putting them in your hair.

One thing I actually don’t do very often with chopsticks is eat with them. Why? Because I am horrifically clumsy when it comes to eating with chopsticks. I’ve had many people try to help me, but I just don’t have the fine motor skills necessary. If I’m too ashamed to ask for a fork, it takes me a while to eat, as I poke and prod my food, dropping wasabi and sashimi, and often just starting completely over along the way.

However, I realized, I could use that to my advantage.

The next time you get sushi, swipe extra chopsticks, and then use them to eat other non-Asian foods. Eating slowly is a way to be more mindful of what you are eating, to appreciate your food, and to stop when you are full. If you use your fork as a shovel, simply switching tools might help a lot. Even if you’re pretty good with chopsticks (because really, my clumsiness is just embarrassing and totally not the norm), it’s definitely more difficult to eat with them than it is with a fork.

If it takes your brain 20 minutes to register that you’re full, and you tend to eat way past the point of feeling full, this might be a good way to make yourself to slow down. If you’re devoted, you can buy chopsticks for very cheap, but really, I prefer the five-finger discount in this case. I call it “Recession Silverware;” it goes so well with my fine, purloined Starbucks napkins.

1 maria November 3, 2009 at 7:28 am

I think I might have too much practice with chopsticks for this to work to my advantage, but it definitely could work for those with less experience. :) Great idea.
.-= maria´s last blog ..Two word Tuesday =-.

2 Jessie (Vegan-minded) November 3, 2009 at 7:57 am

I love the new artwork, it’s very cute! I am horrible with chopsticks and every time I try to use them, I get frustrated and give up halfway through! I have always thought to myself that if I ate every meal with chopsticks I would lose a ton of weight since it would take me about an hour to eat a meal. I really should practice with them though. :)
.-= Jessie (Vegan-minded)´s last blog ..A burger with cheese =-.

3 Tay - Pacing for Pretzels November 3, 2009 at 8:52 am

Wow – your mom did that? I guess being talented runs in the family! ;-) I love the idea of chopsticks for non-sush meals. I am going to have to try this, especially because I have the cutest chopsticks with smiley faces on them.

4 Veggie Booty November 3, 2009 at 8:53 am

Love the new look! Your mom is talented!
.-= Veggie Booty´s last blog ..A Dried Fruit and Coconut Kind of Week. =-.

5 Joanna November 3, 2009 at 9:05 am

Love the chopstick trick! I am left handed and will sometimes eat w/ my right hand to slow myself down.
.-= Joanna´s last blog ..Eggs-ellent Progress =-.

6 Kaytee November 3, 2009 at 9:20 am

The new artwork is wonderful! Good job, Mom!
.-= Kaytee´s last blog ..It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like… =-.

7 Katy November 3, 2009 at 10:21 am

Great tip — I started doing this a few months ago and it has made a HUGE difference in my intuitive eating…I’m amazed at how quickly I get full when I slow down to eat!

I’ve asked my husband to find me some of those kids’ chopsticks that are connected at the top, because I’m not exactly a master chopsticker.
.-= Katy´s last blog ..Please Vote For Me! (Shameless Plug) =-.

8 Diana November 3, 2009 at 11:00 am

I used to do that when I was little ahah Eating regular food with chopsticks. It was fun! :p
.-= Diana´s last blog ..Happy tuesday! =-.