My Torrid Affair With Joe, or, Sometimes You Need to Bust a Rut

by Rachel on February 17, 2010

Good afternoon! I hope you’re having a great Hump/Ash Wednesday. I spent the better part of this morning on a hot date with my man Joe. I think you may know him? He’s a Trader.

This week, I’m trying to work at busting my food rut. I mean, I love my food ruts; I get completely addicted to certain things and can eat them every day for three months and not get sick of them. Last year, this happened with Subway Veggie Delite sandwiches. It’s currently going on with smoothies, almond butter toast, eggs, and oatmeal. Sticking with healthy foods is good for you, but it’s also good to get some variety in there!

I started the day off with coffee, a chocolate-banana smoothie, and an English muffin with peanut butter. However, I mixed things up this week and switched to cinnamon-raisin English muffins! I like to live dangerously; what can I say?

Then I was out the door! I feel like I haven’t been to Joe’s in forever. This is mainly because I haven’t left my house much and I haven’t had time to make the 45 minute drive to see him. However, there comes a point when the passion becomes to intense and lovers just have to meet…and today was that day!

I can easily get carried away when I see Joe. It’s like when you swear you’re not going to hook up with a guy on the first date and then — whoops! — you did. Joe has that sort of effect on women. (Or maybe I’m just that kind of woman?) But I tried to control myself today.

Into my grocery totes went…

• Multi-grain hot cereal (literally, a bunch of different grains in there; I started buying these after Leah from Nutritionista recommended them!)
  • TJ’s new almond butter with roasted flax seeds
  • Carrot ginger muffins
  • Mirepoix (diced onions, carrots, and celery for soup; I hate chopping veggies so this is great)
  • Greek yogurt
  • Vegetable masala burgers (I’m pretty sure a commenter recommend these a while back!)
  • Salmon burgers
  • Organic free-range OMG-3 eggs
  • Cocktail grapefruit (had a sample; it’s great!)

Most of these items definitely count as rut busters! I mean, with the hot cereal and eggs, at least it’s different from the oatmeal and regular eggs I have been eating. I didn’t buy too much because we have groceries, but I figured this was good to get some new things up in the mix.

As sexy as our tryst was, I had to tell Joe good-bye and head home, not sure when we’d meet again. By the time I got home it was lunchtime, so I put together a Joe’s-inspired meal with the hot cereal. (OK, I’m clearly not that wild and crazy.)

But I did get to try out the new almond butter. Last week I Tweeted that Maranatha No-Stir almond butter was kicking Trader Joe’s almond butter’s ass. Monica from Run, Eat, Repeat begged to differ and told me to try the new one. All right, biatch. I’ll call your bluff.

It actually has little flax seeds right in it!

I must admit…this is really, really good! The label says it all: crunchy and salty. Yep. It’s so good. I’m impressed!

I have been eating pumpkin oats all week, mainly because I opened a 32 ounce can of pumpkin I had bought during the shortage last fall, and I don’t want to waste it. A lot of people have asked me how I make pumpkin oats, so I thought I’d share how I do it. I boil water and the add the oats, like the package says. Once they are cooked, I turn the heat down and add:

• Two spoonfuls of pumpkin
  • About a teaspoon of brown sugar
  • A big pinch of cinnamon
  • A splash of milk
  • ½ small banana, diced
  • 1 tbsp dried dates (clutch)
  • ½ tbsp butterscotch chips (also clutch)
  • ½ tbsp almond butter
  • ½ tbsp chopped walnuts

Then I usually add another splash of milk to make it creamy, stir it up, and reheat it again. (I like my oats really hot.)

It hits the spot for me every time! And the butterscotch chips are the best; they are so sweet and honestly just that little bit knocks out my sweet tooth for the rest of the day! Honestly, this weather is making me want to eat sweets and carbs, and this is the healthiest way I can do that! So unfortunately (or not!) I think it’s going to be pumpkin oats until the sun comes out again!

Have a good afternoon!

1 Runeatrepeat February 17, 2010 at 4:04 pm

So which almond butter do you like better?
.-= Runeatrepeat´s last blog ..Weight Loss Wednesday – Lisa’s Story =-.

2 Rachel February 17, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Well I like the Maranatha for a basic almond butter, when I just want something smooth and plain. (Like on breakfast toast or in oatmeal.) The new roasted stuff definitely has a kick and wouldn’t go with everything. However, when I’m snacking, I tend to go for stronger flavors, because they are usually more satisfying, so I’d say this would be really great for an afternoon snack with an apple or in a recipe when I want to add some depth!

3 liane February 17, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I really don’t like the fact that Joe hasn’t found his way to Canada yet. He’s a trader for pete’s sake… I’m sure there is something up here in the great white north he could trade for!

The real reason I was commenting was that I too get into food ruts and get obsessed with one or two food items and cannot live without that item for months on end, then one day, I’m over it and the item is dead to me.
I too have cycled through Subway veggie delights, homemade egg mcmuffin-type breakfast sandwiches, one specific pasta dish I ate three times a week… It also amuses me that my friends pick up on my obsessions and ensure they have said item at their home, just in case I *need* it. And then, when I’m over that item, they are left with it in their fridge/cupboard ;)
.-= liane´s last blog ..Day 1: Rid the Fridge =-.

4 Cal_runner February 17, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Nice to know you got the TJ Veggie burgers! For the best experience, cook/heat it up in the conventional oven until it gets a little crispy on the outside. I like eating it with salad or using it with burger buns topped with tomato plus ketchup(or any other wet topping).

On an unrelated note, going back to your running skirts post, ( http://www.sheddingit.com/2009/06/04/burn-and-earn-running-skirts/) – I have small waist and wide hips = big behind, large inner thighs. I did buy the Lululemon skirt as it had these pleats in the back of the skirt that actually covered a lot and stopped the front of the skirt from riding up too much. The skirt also has compression shorts built in. I am happy to say that on Feb 14 2010, I ran a half-marathon in them, and with the usage of Body-Glide I had almost no chafing in my thighs (“chub-rub”), and I probably managed to look a little more pretty in the race photos. :) Just a heads-up if anyone is looking to run in skirts. I have no special brand loyalty to Lululemon or other over-priced athletic-wear companies, I just like the way this particular skirt was made. If any other athletic sportswear manages to make these kind of skirts for lower cost, I would be more than happy to get them.

5 Rachel February 21, 2010 at 8:27 am

Cal — Thanks for the skirt review! So glad you shared the Body Glide info because I think a lot of people worry about running in skirts for that reason!

And can’t wait to try the burgers!!

6 Laura Georgina February 18, 2010 at 8:51 am

I wish I could have an affair with Joe too! Or his cousin, or uncle, or any suchlike relative…. But not even his fat second cousin has made it out to T and T, so I’ll live vicariously through you, Rachel.

And thanks for the running skirt tip, Cal Runner! I have the same small waist/wide hips/thigh problem and have tried a few running skirts–all returned due to the thigh chafe problem. I will try to wheedle a loved one (or myself, if that fails!) to try out that running skirt :-)
.-= Laura Georgina´s last blog ..Carnival Days–Valsayn Fete and Carnival Monday on the Road! =-.

7 Melissa (It's a Veggieful Life) March 10, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I bought pumpkin in large cans too recently but there was no shortage here. Only one store apparently had a shortage. :) You can freeze it as small portions (ice cube trays work well, then transfer them to a freezer bag or container once they’re frozen).
.-= Melissa (It’s a Veggieful Life)´s last blog ..A Lost Boy at Peace =-.

8 Rachel March 10, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I’ve definitely been freezing them! But you know lately I can’t find pumpkin yet AGAIN. Wondering what’s going on here!! Now I’m all out of the stuff I stockpiled.