The Break-Up, The Rebound, and The Fling With the Ex

by Rachel on February 19, 2010

Well, you knew this was coming. I broke up with gym.

Sad, I know, since I do love the gym, but the fact is, we’ve been on the rocks for the last month.

The decision was mostly financial. I mean, because I teach three times a week, I could really only go to the gym twice a week. At that rate, it was costing me about $12 per cardio session. Plus gas. Umm…no.

The other problem was I don’t have time to go to the gym anymore. It’s a 12-minute drive…so 30 minutes round-trip. That’s fine if I’m already out and about, but since I’m fully working from home now, I just don’t feel like adding 30 minutes (plus 15 for the locker room time) to an already busy day. I might have time for a nice workout, but I don’t have time for a drive across town and back.

Then the Core Fusion Challenge made me fall in love with working out at home. I realized how much I liked not having to leave the house and how laid-back it felt, and I decided it was time to make the switch. I started researching equipment and was thinking about the $470 Spinner brand bike. That’s a lot of change, but I knew it would pay itself off by summer in what I was saving on gym costs. On Sunday, we did some rearranging in my office area. I made the corner near my desk a sort of “Vision Corner.” I found some old pictures I used to have in my room and put them up, and I made a mini-version of my Vision Board, since the original is in my bedroom.

The room looks fantastic now, HGTV-style. But it’s huge — it was seriously ready for my new equipment.

Then on Wednesday, without much discussion, I just broke up with the gym! I felt sort of sad about it, but hey…not all relationships are meant to last. Then, like when you realize after a break-up, “Um, if I want to get laid anytime soon I better get my ass looking good on on Facebook,” I realized, “Oh, shit, if I want to do cardio any time soon, I better buy my new bike!”

So to Amazon I went, where I headed to the Spinner bike. But right before I bought it, I saw the “similar products.” And I saw the Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycling Bike for $300. I realized that — DUH! — just like the richest guy in the room can be the biggest d-bag, a lot of gyms don’t use Spinner brand and I’ve always been fine on other bikes. I didn’t need to spend an extra $200 for the brand name. I read the reviews on Amazon and Overstock and they were all good; the fact that some were from instructors or experienced spin people sold me on it. Put it in my cart, got $4 overnight shipping with Amazon Prime (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Prime — they keep giving me more free trials and it’s sweet), and was ready for my first date!

Thursday morning, the FedEx man brought it. The poor guy lugged it up the driveway and then we maneuvered it down the stairs together.

I knew I wouldn’t have time to put it together right away, but I had to break open the box!

Eeeeeeee!

It was in several big pieces and didn’t look terribly hard to put together. Later last night, my mom and I got to it. There was one part of the directions that was just poorly designed/worded that really confused me, but it was the kind of thing you had to just use common sense to figure out. It ended up taking about an hour to put together and really wasn’t too painful! (That’s also because I cranked good tunes and just went with it when I felt like dancing.)

Do you believe in love at first sight?

We be ridin’ dirty…

I am just so excited! I can watch TV, I can turn up my laptop and not worry about headphones, I can do a 20 minute workout without feeling guilty because I drove all the way across town…and on busy days, still do a nice 30 minute workout without having to add another 30 for the commute!

Sadly, I can’t give a full review of the bike yet because, um, while that’s my new relationship, I’m also having a fling with my old flame the kettlebell. And, like any hook-up with an ex, it hurts. A lot.

I bought a GoFit kettlebell last year and got into it for  little while, but didn’t stick with it. It was time to give it another try. However, my bell had disappeared in the move! The original kettlebell and the DVD (which I downloaded to my computer) is from GoFit.net. The new one was a Danskin from Wal-mart, which I just got in the interest in saving time and starting ASAP. It also came with a DVD, but if you are interested in getting a kettlebell, I definitely recommend GoFit. Sarah Lurie is in their DVDs, and she’s sort of the kettlebell chick. She has an amazing body too — so healthy and toned — so when she says do 20 squats, I do them. (And then later regret them because I can’t walk up the stairs.) The DVD I do is a 45-minute circuit and it’s very efficient; you could also shorten the routine and do 20 or 30 minutes.

If you have always wanted to try the kettlebell at your gym or just want to buy the bell and not a DVD, check out this workout from Women’s Health Magazine for some classic moves. Number two, the swing, is definitely the reason I can’t walk today. But I really like balancing the stillness and small movements of Core Fusion with the dynamic movement of the kettlebell routine. Just one more thing in the effort to get my backside to look like a reindeer.

I’m going to spin this afternoon to loosen up, but oh my. These new relationships are working me!

But I’m loving my new space! Considering I spend about 90 percent of my time in this room, I’m excited to have gone from just a desk to a full office/library/gym/hotel/discotheque in the past week. And there’s a Happy Lamp! Now all that’s missing is the suspension trainer…I’m still waiting on that to make me its dirty little mistress.

1 Laura Georgina February 19, 2010 at 9:07 am

Congrats on the new man! I think he needs a name :-)

I really wish I could get into DVD workouts at home to vary things up a bit, but I can’t handle the generally cheesy music and, even when the music is ok-ish, I can’t get over the cheesy settings, or the tone of the instructors…. Do you ever get to a point where you learn the moves and can just mute/listen to your own music?
.-= Laura Georgina´s last blog ..Carnival Days: Carnival Tuesday on de Road! =-.

2 Teri [a foodie stays fit] February 19, 2010 at 9:27 am

Congrats on the new bike!! fun!!

I’ve never used a kettlebell before…I might have to look into it. :)
.-= Teri [a foodie stays fit]´s last blog ..Whole Wheat Flax Bread – Karlee, this one’s for you =-.

3 Triz February 19, 2010 at 9:28 am

But, but, how will you find Gym Crushes in your house? And what about the potential Gym HUSBAND you saw the other day?! He’s probably just wandering around, waiting for you to show up again …. :(

(But yeah, I totally get your point, especially about transit time).

4 Triz February 19, 2010 at 9:31 am

PS Whoa, the comments on that kettle bell workout make it sound pretty scary. Is it hard / risky to learn?

5 Rachel February 19, 2010 at 9:42 am

Laura, I agree about the name! Then I can go say, “I’m going to ride _____.” Any suggestions for names? I don’t know, can’t get an idea for it yet!!

Triz, honestly, the Gym Husband thing was truly poised to hold me back! But he wasn’t worth the money. :) The kettlebell is tough, but not so tough that I wouldn’t recommend it! I’m just sore from all the squats…they’re always killer after a while not doing them. It’s not at all hard to learn either.

6 Emilyeatsclean February 19, 2010 at 9:54 am

I agree with comment #1….your new bike (Excuse me, I mean your new man) needs a name! :) Hope you love it! I’ve contemplated buying one for a while now.

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

7 Claudia @ ...and so i ran February 19, 2010 at 10:27 am

I’m scared to wack myself in the face with the kettlebell ;)
Congrats on the bike and breaking up with GYM!!
.-= Claudia @ …and so i ran´s last blog ..No running for mama =-.

8 Britt @ Runnerbelle February 19, 2010 at 10:52 am

Congrats on the new bike!!! How awesome, I’m tempted to get one now.

I LOVE kettlebells!!!! My one splurge is going to a kettlebell/crossfit gym. I have gotten so much stronger using kettlebells and I find the workouts much more interesting than doing weights at the gym. I love to challenge myself and try to increase my weight or reps.

9 Tracy February 19, 2010 at 11:34 am

I’ve been thinking about getting a kettlebell for months now! I was at the sporting good store this weekend and was finally going to buy one, but I couldn’t decide how many pounds to get. How did you decide that 10# was the weight to get? I saw that Jillian Michaels has one where the weight is adjustable, but it’s like 80 bucks!!

10 Rachel February 19, 2010 at 11:38 am

I can’t remember how I determined the weight of the original one I bought. I believe I did a little research on GoFit.net to see what they recommended? For this one, I just bought the same weight as my first one. I do honestly think I could have gone a little heavier this time, which is exciting, but oh well! I’m so sore today, I think it’ll be OK!

I suppose you could use my 10 pound one as a reference and take into account that when I lift free weights I usually lift 12 pound weights. So depending on how much you generally lift, you could go higher or lower?

11 Runeatrepeat February 19, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Lucky girl with a bike! I was thinking about getting spinning shoes today and you got a full on bike! You’re cooler than me :)
.-= Runeatrepeat´s last blog ..Bright and Early =-.

12 Rosa February 19, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I’ve been wanting to buy a spinner, so thanks for the post and recommendation. This will be good to add to my arsenal of home routine.

Are you doing a DVD with the bike? If so, do you have a DVD(s) to recommend? Thanks.
.-= Rosa´s last blog ..No Race for February? =-.

13 Rachel February 19, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Monica — you should def get shoes. You clip your feet in and you just FLY!

Rosa — Since I teach, I don’t feel like I need a DVD with it. But I CAN recommend two of my spin playlists I just created for my class so you could use that as a starting point for your own workout. Let me know if you want them and I’ll email them to you!

14 AMTB February 19, 2010 at 11:02 pm

WOW!!! Those bikes have gone down considerably! When I was considering buying one, they were $1200+. Such a great investment. Enjoy!

15 Lexie February 21, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I got a Kettlebell for Christmas and have basically no idea what to do with it. Thanks for the advice!
.-= Lexie´s last blog ..Off Days =-.

16 Angie February 23, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Oh the Kettlebell swing…sends shivers down my spine! Back in the day when I was working out w/ a trainer, he introduced me to those. And I was all “really, these are pretty simple…doesn’t seem to really be doing anything!” and then the next day (and even more so the next, next day) I was all, “holy crap I physically am not sure if I’ll make it up this entire flight of stairs, might just have to call it half way up and sleep on the floor.”

They so wonderfully kick your ass :)
.-= Angie´s last blog ..Bad blogger. =-.

17 Rachel February 23, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Yes…yes and yes. The next, next day was ROUGH!