I Like Getting Poked…Just Not Before Breakfast.

by Rachel on February 25, 2010

My February Go Red goal was to get my cholesterol and blood sugar levels tested. I had been putting it off forever because I didn’t want to fast for 12 hours before. Then I planned to go Monday but got snowed in. So…I committed to going today.

Dinner last night was so good! Grilled chicken, chickpeas, and Monterey Jack on top of the greenest salad ever. (And I added like three more cups of greens. My life has been lacking green things as of late.) I alsp threw some vinaigrette on there and had a slice of whole-wheat bread.

After dinner, I was eating grapes like they were going out of style, knowing that my 12 hour hunger strike was about to set in. When I woke up this morning, I was SO hungry so I got dressed and took myself straight to the lab to be there when they were just opening.

The lab is only five minutes from my house and even though they don’t take appointments, they weren’t too busy. I barely had time to open my mag before I got called in. I gave her my info, rolled up my sleeve, got poked, and bam! Done!

From the moment I left my house to the moment I got home, it was only 30 minutes. Sigh. It’s always over so fast when I’m getting poked, isn’t it?

In this case, I wasn’t too upset about it. I wanted food!!! Being out and about early makes hitting the drive-thru tempting, but as I did not have sex last night and therefore did not meet the criteria for getting McDonald’s, I had to go home and make my own version of a McMuffin.

So delicious: English muffin with an organic OMG3 egg, reduced-fat cheese, and a slice of bacon…

Plus a fruit salad with grapes, pear, strawbs, and cantaloupe!

Yum. I do not know how people skip breakfast!!!

My doctor will get back to me with my lab results soon enough; hoping that all is good in the hood with my blood sugar and cholesterol, but I’m actually really quite interested in knowing what my exact numbers are!

1 Diane February 25, 2010 at 11:51 am

That breakfast sandwich looks so amazing! Now that I have to be at the office by 8 a.m., I find myself needing all kinds of food in the morning to avoid hanger and general “oh God I’m an underpaid intern” depression. Your fruit salad has inspired me to change up my usual banana for some strawbs.
.-= Diane´s last blog ..February 26, 2001: Dial-Up =-.

2 Teri [a foodie stays fit] February 25, 2010 at 11:55 am

heheheh. I will be laughing at this title all day.

seriously, how do people skip breakfast??? i don’t understand. and never want to.
.-= Teri [a foodie stays fit]´s last blog ..Oh My Goodness Soup =-.

3 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 25, 2010 at 12:22 pm

No idea how people skip breakfast. It’s what gets me out of bed! Also, your egg mc-shedding-it muffin looks better than the mcD’s version.
.-= Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle´s last blog ..An off day… =-.

4 Rachel February 25, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I legit enjoy going to bed because I love getting up and eating breakfast! Which is WHY I do NOT actually like being poked in the morning!

I am glad I got an LOL out of you this morning. :) The “I’m Lovin It” is one of my all-time favorite things I’ve ever created.

5 Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear February 25, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Oh god, the bit about McD’s = PERF. Seriously, homegirl only allows herself the golden arches if her ass was breakin’ it down in a rum-and-coke-infused-dance-off the night before. We are seriously blogging soul sistas!
.-= Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear´s last blog ..In Time =-.

6 melissa February 25, 2010 at 3:23 pm

that salad looks amazing!
.-= melissa´s last blog ..Weekend (Fitness) Update =-.

7 Fattie Fatterton February 25, 2010 at 7:00 pm

You made me giggle – love it!!

So funny because I reward myself with McDonalds when I go get my blood drawn.
.-= Fattie Fatterton´s last blog ..I tried every diet in the book. I tried some that weren’t in the book. I tried eating the book. It tasted better than most of the diets. =-.

8 Carissa (Fit To Indulge) February 26, 2010 at 1:17 am

I’m with you on the 12 hour fast thing.. if I’m not sleeping for 12 hours I’m not going without food for 12 hours!! Your homemade mcmuffin is going to be in my dreams tonight. Breakfast is pretty much amazing. Glad your poke went well! ;)
.-= Carissa (Fit To Indulge)´s last blog ..Sweet & Tangy Moroccan Chicken =-.