Getting It: Your Unruly Appetite

by Rachel on February 27, 2010

Feb 21-27 is National Eating Disorders Awareness Week and although it’s coming to an end, I wanted to leave you with a couple thoughts for the weekend.

First, I invite you to check out this amazing essay from blogger Gena from Choosing Raw. Not only is it smart, eloquent, and moving, but it also presents a point I hadn’t thought about before in the eating disorder discussion — that women are taught to abstain from all pleasures of the body, including food and sex. We can only admit to being hungry when we justify it by saying we haven’t eaten all day or we just had a hard workout. Women who talk about loving food are always expected to be super thin. And although our culture is super sexualized, it’s still not every day you hear women (average women, not Megan Fox) talk about loving sex. Gena writes, “Let’s also try to embrace the very real hunger that nature has given us, even if it’s sometimes a little unruly. Desire is a part of life – and a pretty great part of it, if you ask me.”

I hope that everyone who reads this blog will check out Gena’s essay and look to it as a source of inspiration. You should not feel guilty about desire. If you’re hiding out in some shame-filled part of your brain, not willing to embrace your body as a hungry body with cravings (cravings for a number of things), I encourage you to consider the alternative. As someone who regularly puts those cravings out there (see also: morning sex and McMuffins), I can tell you right now, the world won’t stop turning if you do this. And it’s not about how much you eat or weigh or run (or hate running) or whether or not you hook it with a different guy every weekend — the point is to be true to yourself and to your body and stop apologizing for it.

Because we’re realllllllly into apologies. Women loooove to apologize. My mom and grandma are always apologizing to the dog. If we’re not apologizing, we’re justifying our actions somehow. Over it! “I’m sorry I’m not sorry.”

Sometimes a girl needs to eat. And get laid. It’s biology, people — not a big fucking deal.

1 Gena February 27, 2010 at 9:58 am

I laughed so hard at the comment about apologizing to the dog. Two things that I’ve improved with over time:

1) Saying no
2) Not apologizing too much

I love your blog because you DO talk about sex and physicality and being unruly. God bless you, and I hope many others follow suit.

2 Dori February 27, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I loved Gena’s post and I love yours too. Your attitude is so healthy and fun, and I hope other women read this and feel inspired.
.-= Dori´s last blog ..Early Morning Yoga + DMB =-.

3 Crystal February 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm

That is strange that you decided to post this, because I just felt really guilty about my last entry I put up. My cravings were so intense! I thought if I put it up on the web then it would serve as a motivator to steer in the other direction (i.e. healthy eating without random urges for sugar).
I have such intense cravings for things probably because I try to surpress it so much. I think about something for days and then just cave in. I’m going to work on the mindset that it is ok to have “bad” foods sometimes, because I am a girl and I need it sometimes!
.-= Crystal´s last blog ..Thursday’s Pain in the Neck =-.

4 Rachel February 27, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I am glad you’re thinking of giving into your cravings more! After I wrote this, I started craving a really great dinner in a restaurant and good drinks. Didn’t even bother to find a way to justify it — just called my friends to make it happen. Today my justification is, “Because I want it, damnit.”

5 Lauren Slayton February 27, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Great post. I love the idea of acknowledging desire and not apologizing. I just had a client (I am a nutritionist) email and apologize for having a bad week. I literrally just said to her “it’s not about apologizing to me or you but figuring out what may be holding you back.” Love twitter, glad I found your blog.

6 sarah @ the foodie diaries March 2, 2010 at 2:18 am

oh. my. god. i just watched your mcmuffin/morning after video and almost peed. it’s official. i love you. don’t care if it’s too soon.

7 Rachel March 2, 2010 at 7:51 am

It’s never too soon! haha thanks!! I go for the literal LOLs but making someone pee is sort of my ultimate goal!