Shedding It & Kegging It

by Rachel on March 8, 2010

When March hits and St. Patrick’s Day approaches, I think of one thing: beer!

A lot of women say they don’t like beer, but oh, I am definitely a beer girl. Sometimes, there’s just nothing like a crisp, cold one! I really started to appreciate beer when I studied abroad in the UK; light beer just wasn’t an option.

Oh just hanging out at the Guinness Factory!

Once I got out of college and started drinking better beer, I really started to love it. I love breweries and any restaurant with a great beer list. When I lived in NYC, Spitzer’s Corner was one of my favorite places for trying new brews. (And OMG I love their pickles!) And, hey, Spartans…I love Harper’s in East Lansing as well!

And good news: beer can be good for you!

• 12 ounces of beer a day is considered “moderate” and healthy for women. So that means not too much kegging it, dear friends.
  • In the Nurses Health Study of more than 70,000 women ages 25 to 42, one beer a day was linked to lower blood pressure – more so than wine or other drinks. (Sorry, tequila.)
  • Beer is rich in some of the same vitamins as leafy green vegetables, like B vitamins and folates.
  • It can settle your stomach. It’s got the bubbles we love in 7-UP, and alcohol helps dull pain. Hmm…I think it’s worth sippin’ on next time you’ve got the flu.
  • If you don’t like the taste of beer, try different beers! Beers with a subtle fruit flavor
  • Beer may not help your boner, but it can help your bones. One study has linked it to better bone density, possibly because its ingredients help us absorb calcium and minerals. Dark beer was especially good for this.
  • Speaking of dark beer, if you are watching your alcohol consumption, dark beer is a great choice. While it may have more calories than a light beer, the heavier flavor means we typically take longer to drink it. It’s pretty hard to throw back Guinness at the same rate as, say, Coors Light, so you may find yourself drinking less overall.

We all know I like to incorporate alcohol when I’m cooking. Cooking with wine is a given, but beer is also a great and very underrated cooking tool.

• No, I wouldn’t shotgun my dinner, but beer does have food-like qualities: it contains yeast, grains, and herbs.
  • Pretty much any recipe that calls for a liquid can be made with beer. Some good options: soup, chili, sauces, rice, meat and fish marinade, veggies, and stir-fry.
  • If you are using a light beer with a great aroma, don’t boil it for too long or you’ll lose the flavor. A splash at the end might be a better bet.
  • Beer is naturally bitter, so it goes well with sweet foods, which balance this out. Using it with sugary veggies like carrots or onions are a good idea.
  • Because of the yeast, beer is a great option for baking. You can check out my ultra-simple and incredibly yummy beer bread recipe to get started! I make this whenever I have leftover beer on hand. Or I just go buy a 40.

You may not be going for a beer belly, but you can use beer for beauty.

• Make your own beer shampoo to reduce build-up and leave your hair shiny and bouncy. Simmer a cup of beer on the stove until it is reduced down to ¼ cup, let it cool, and then add a cup of shampoo. And a drop on your finger can sm0oth unruly brows or flyaways.
  • You can add it to the tub for a foamy bath (pour the beer under the gushing faucet to get it really bubbly). Don’t blame me if the frat boys come running.
  • Soak your tired feet in cold beer – the carbonation and coolness feels pretty good!
  • You can make a face mask, like this one from Kegerators. Combine one cup of beer, an avocado, a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, and a tablespoon of honey.

This bud’s for you. Cheers!

1 Brittany March 8, 2010 at 9:29 am

I’m totally with ya on loving beer. I’m not a huge fan of IPAs but I like Amber Ales, Lagers, and Wheat beers.

I need one right now, actually!! :)

2 Rachel March 8, 2010 at 9:31 am

You and me both, sister…

3 Manon March 8, 2010 at 9:45 am

I’m slobbering at 8:44 on Monday morning dreaming of BEER….good thing I have that St Patrick’s Day mini tour at Old Chicago to conquer..

4 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition March 8, 2010 at 9:55 am

Love the new lay out!!

xo

Jocelyn

5 Kristine March 8, 2010 at 10:17 am

I love the new layout! It is great! Congrats! I have to catch up on blogging now and we def need to catch up soon!

6 Rachel March 8, 2010 at 10:29 am

Kristine, I’m way behind too! My Reader is filling up! Hate that….

7 Brea March 8, 2010 at 10:31 am

Good to know beer can also be healthy for you! I’m a beer girl as well. I enjoy a nice glass of wine and or mixed drink, but is my go to drink. Although I can’t imagine using it for anything other than just drinking or cooking, don’t want to waste it. But I like the idea that…”a drop on your finger can sm0oth unruly brows or flyaways!”

8 Rachel March 8, 2010 at 10:35 am

Right?! Like, “Oh, I’m playing beer pong and I just noticed I have a ruffled brow…let me just fix that…”

9 samantha March 8, 2010 at 11:06 am

true story: i didn’t like beer and wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole until my senior year of college, and now i LOVE it. nothing like a cold one on a hot summer day, or after a hard day of work. wow, i sound like an old man, but it’s true!

10 Kat March 8, 2010 at 11:28 am

I’ve been mulling over an Irish Car Bomb cookie recipe with Guinness and Bailey’s – I’m not an experimenter when it comes to baking, but I looooove a good Irish car bomb, so I hope they’ll turn out!!

11 Rachel March 8, 2010 at 11:31 am

I am making a Guinness recipe this week for the Hump Day Treat! I love the idea of car bomb cookies! The first time I had a car bomb at my 21st bday outing, my friends told me to drink it and think of it like it was chocolate milk. Um…didn’t work for me, but in that sense…it might make for some delicious cookies…

Regardless it’s good to experiment!

12 Christie (http://rollerkoesterrun.wordpress.com/) March 8, 2010 at 11:55 am

Good ol Harpers!!! :)

You probably get this all the time, but you have really pretty skin. That sounds weird when I re-read it, so I hope you know what I mean~ lol!

~Christie http://rollerkoesterrun.wordpress.com/

13 Rachel March 8, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Haha thanks Christie — I do know what you mean. I am pretty sure God decided to give me good skin to make up for my metabolism.

14 Nicci March 8, 2010 at 11:57 am

I love beer even more now and I love dark beer, especially Texas Shiner. A reason I can never leave Texas, nobody else carries Shiner. lol Beer in moderation is the key for me.

15 Lauren March 8, 2010 at 1:50 pm

looooove the throwback pics haha

16 Jordan March 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm

My hair in that picture makes me want to yell at my 19 year-old self so much.

17 mkg March 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Shout out from the E.L. :D everyone LOVES Harpers!!!