Beauty Booty: Fish Oil

by Rachel on March 16, 2010

The other night at Vinology, Kathy and I were in a huge frenzy discussing beauty products. This is one area where we can just not get our words out fast enough. We love beauty products. Kathy, Tracy, and I were discussing skin care and they asked me what I do for my skin. I said that lately, I’ve been doing very little for it because this is the first winter when it hasn’t gotten dry at all, and I think it’s because I’ve been putting more fat in my diet. Then Kathy and Tracy both said they haven’t had dry skin lately either…and then we realized that in the past few months, we’d all started taking fish oil supplements!

I started taking fish oil because it’s packed with omega-3 fatty acids. OMG3s are very important to heart health, but most experts say we’re not getting enough — and fish is really the best source. And I know this but sometimes I don’t have it twice a week, as much as I intend to. So I spent $6 on a bottle of 100 soft gels and I have been making it a point to take two a day.

Now, I’m always saying that what you eat affects how you look, but just personally, I usually pay more attention to my hair. I know that a healthy diet has helped my hair a ton, but I hadn’t really paid attention to food’s major effects on my skin. But, turns out, it does have an effect! Besides the fact that all three of us girls realized this is the first winter where we’ve really not needed extra moisturizer — in Michigan, mind you — I did a little research and found more evidence to support this.

Apparently, fish oil contains the OMG3 EPA, which is good for skin. Dermatologists love to research this stuff and have found that EPA can help prevent collagen from breaking down and can help repair the visible effects of sun damage. Plus, eating healthy fats does have an effect on your skin’s texture. It’s not just for dry skin though — I hit up some message boards for acne sufferers and a ton of them reported that fish oil really helped their acne. And another fun thing: and a lot of them said that it helped them feel happier too. I touched on this when I talked about the winter SADs — all that EPA is good for your brain!

Well, no offense to your awesome brain, but today I’m talking about outer beauty — maybe it’s cheering people up because they are no longer dealing with flaky, patchy dry spots!

1 Yasmin March 16, 2010 at 8:43 am

I can totally back this idea up! Since I started taking fish oil supplements I always get compliments on my skin. People say it glows and my skin has not been overly dry in these winter months. Best supplement for sure.

2 Teri [a foodie stays fit] March 16, 2010 at 9:09 am

I keep meaning to buy fish oil supplements but haven’t. Thanks for the reminder! I just added it to my list. :)

Is there a brand you’d recommend?

3 Rachel March 16, 2010 at 9:11 am

Right now I have Nature Made, but next time I’ll probably do a bit more research and try to buy an organic one!

4 Nicole March 16, 2010 at 9:47 am

I love it! I’ve been meaning to add fish oil to my vitamin routine too… and I love all of the benefits you mentioned in your blog!

This girl will definitely be shopping the supplement aisle tonight!

5 samantha March 16, 2010 at 11:16 am

i actually just ordered omega 3s — along with the health benefits, i heard they are also supposed to brighten your mood!
.-= samantha´s last blog ..le sigh. =-.

6 Brea March 16, 2010 at 11:44 am

I’ve been taking fish oil twice a day for about a year or so now. I haven’t had any problems with dryness either and never thought it could be because of of the fish oil. Awesome! I’m not sure that it has helped with acne, I have mild adult acne and that comes and goes. But I do feel it helps with my joints and I also feel better taking it!
.-= Brea´s last blog ..Stability ball squats =-.

7 Nikki March 16, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I started taking fish oil supplements twice a day a little over two months ago, and have noticed that my hair feels much stronger, my skin glows and even my eyes look more alert. I’ve also cut out high-sodium foods and most sweets, and replaced all drinks with water, and hot teas. I think it is a great addition to a well-balanced healthy lifestyle, but I can’t tell if it’s just the fish oil, or my overall diet and exercise and recently picking back up on my yoga practice. Either way, I’m not complaining. I’m glad you posted this too, because I think everyone should reap the benefits of it.

PS. I actually posted an article on my blog about the benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids!
.-= Nikki´s last blog ..A born-again yogi =-.

8 alfredoe March 17, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Hi All. First time here. Nice blog, lots of information.

It is important to have in mind that there are certain conditions to get the benefits fish oil can bring.

You need to take a good quality fish oil, free from mercury and other contaminants. That is a molecularly distilled fish oil.

Then, you need to take a minimum amount of fish oil, krill oil or cod liver oil at a certain frequency.

There is not an establish amount of omega 3 for any health benefit but I recommend to take at least 900 mg per day of omega 3 fats (close to 3.000 mg of fish oil), EPA plus DHA, per day.

Also, you should lower your intake of omega 6 fats (mostly grains and grain oils) since omega 3 and omega 6 counteract each other in the body. The best way to reduce omega 6 fats is to eliminate form your diet all starches, that is all grains and grain oil.

Please read more at http://www.omega-3-fish-oil-wonders.com/fish-oil.html