I ♥ The Naked Chef

by Rachel on March 24, 2010

I am sure many of you have heard the buzz on Jamie Oliver’s new show “The Food Revolution.” The buzz has been building and the show debuts this week. If you don’t know anything yet about it yet, let me just tell you: this guy is so passionate. He’s taking on the American diet and starting with the food that children eat.

“We don’t teach kids about food.”

The video below is of him speaking at TED. Please watch it when you have time; it’s incredibly inspiring. It just makes so much sense; it’s what so many of us have known and have been feeling for a while — that the whole system is messed up and we need to make the right decisions that aren’t just about the bottom line.

This guy is about food. At the beginning of the video he says, “I’m not a doctor. I’m a chef. I don’t have expensive equipment or medicine. I use information, education. I profoundly believe that the power of food has a primal place in our home that binds us to the best bits of life.”

He reallyjust gives it to the United States. “The labeling in this country is a disgrace!” Yeah, it sure as shit is.

He’s NFA. He’s calling for food education, for less sugar in school lunches, a weaning off a fast food diet. The standard American diet sucks and we all need to care. When a child can’t identify a tomato, we have a real problem.

One thing I don’t like is the focus on obesity — because it’s so not about that. The standard American diet sucks, whether it’s being eaten by a fat person or a thin person. I think a lot of people feed their kids (or themselves) crap because they aren’t overweight. I hope you’ll keep that in mind when you’re watching because it’s something I feel very passionately about!

I love how Jamie says he’s saving lives even though he’s not a doctor. Food is medicine. A healthy lifestyle is preventative medicine. Why on earth would we deny ourselves that? This isn’t about, “Oh you can never have fast food again.” I talk a lot about what I call “positive nutrition.” Don’t focus on what you can’t eat — appreciate what you can! I wish I had been taught at a young age to appreciate healthy food; sometimes, when I’m eating something amazing, wholesome, and natural, it makes me so sad because I think, “What the hell took me so long?!”

In the video, he demonstrates how much sugar a school child gets from chocolate milk. I’m sure so many of us still get that much added sugar in our diets.

To me, healthy food is about health. I think about how people would react if they saw a child light up a cigarette. That’s how I feel when I look at what my mom feeds my 5-year-old brother. It’s absolutely shameful and I simply don’t understand it. Like, I can’t comprehend it. I try and I try but my brain just doesn’t work. We know this stuff is unhealthy.

And there are certainly people who cannot afford to eat healthy or who don’t have access to fruits and vegetables. That’s why we (we the fortunate, we the lucky, you, me…we)…we need to support programs that will change this. Getting fresh food to certain areas of the country — especially urban areas that are populated by minorities — is a real challenge. We need to support the lawmakers, companies, and programs that can help. Jamie’s program is coming at this problem from all angles to change individuals and policies; that’s starting a revolution.

If you’re as fired up as I am, sign the petition on his Web site!

OK enough from me! I think this is a great topic for further discussion and I’d love to hear what you guys think!

1 Christie (http://rollerkoesterrun.wordpress.com/) March 24, 2010 at 8:32 am

SOOO on board & already signed the petition!

~Christie http://rollerkoesterrun.wordpress.com/
.-= Christie (http://rollerkoesterrun.wordpress.com/)´s last blog ..I love little chickadees! =-.

2 Emma March 24, 2010 at 9:03 am

Totally loving on this post! Especially your comparison about the five year-old lighting up a cigarette – SUCH a good comparison – so simple and so true!! Of course, I immediately went and signed the petition – thank you for spreading the word!!

3 erin March 24, 2010 at 9:25 am

it is so true – i think if my parents took the time to really educate us about food, I would’ve liked it a whole lot better. But then again – our food was really simple growing up – some kind of meat, a starch (pasta, rice, potatoes), and a vegetable dish. it was never really seasoned or anything! and my younger sister and I would usually cook dinner most nights growing up.

slowly i evolved. I had a couple of roommates that ate all sorts of stuff, they really taught me how to season my food. i’m getting more daring with seasoning. fresh produce is getting harder and harder to afford – even for me! but i’m not going to give it up!

when i see what my sisters feed their kids — my younger sister has gotten her kid an early start — for snacks she eats carrots and celery! she will gorge on fruit all day long if she could. and at the age of 2 – she still only drinks water or milk – she hasn’t gotten a taste of juice! Impressive!!! my older sister – her kids eat fairly well, except they both like the diet sodas – i HATE that!

and i did sign the petition.

4 Kathy March 24, 2010 at 9:34 am

I saw his video a couple months ago and I completely support him in his mission to teach kids about nutrition. The amount of sugar in the child-size milk carton was a real wake-up. Everyone should watch this!

5 Melissa (It's a Veggieful Life) March 24, 2010 at 9:39 am

I put his petition badge on my site Sunday night after watching the show; however, I missed the end b/c of a news interruption (well worth it, however, b/c it was about the health care bill…yay!) He IS passionate, he IS right, and I hope people really listen. A lot of people are put-off because he’s a Brit and they don’t understand why the hell he’s not “over there” trying to help the Brits. Face it, Americans are much more entertaining. My six year-old son eats his fruits & veggies first on his plate, but not because of my doing. Because of some inner quality I lack. And I’m trying to follow his example. :)
.-= Melissa (It’s a Veggieful Life)´s last blog ..Trenta, Anyone? =-.

6 Tina March 24, 2010 at 10:02 am

This is also something I feel strongly about. I really really hope that my daughter will have a healthy relationship with food and desire more wholesome foods over the other options. I like how you say have a positive focus on nutrition. I don’t want her to be forbidden from “junk food” but I want her to be educated. I want her to have balance. So I will do everything I can to have her grow in a family that leads by example with that. Thanks for posting the petition to sign as well! :)
.-= Tina´s last blog ..Spring Is Popping! =-.

7 Becky @ flybynyght March 24, 2010 at 10:10 am

I love Jamie Oliver! It’s nice to see someone using their celebrity and their knowledge in a positive way for once!!!
.-= Becky @ flybynyght´s last blog ..You’ve got one chance, one opportunity… =-.

8 Ironlady March 24, 2010 at 10:16 am

I love Jamie Oliver too! I’ve got the first episode of his new show saved on my DVR and I can’t wait to watch it.
.-= Ironlady´s last blog ..My inner fat girl… =-.

9 Summer March 24, 2010 at 10:55 am

Thanks for posting, Rachel! Seeing the children who couldn’t identify certain vegetables was certainly a wake-up call. I can’t imagine not knowing the difference between a tomato and a potato!

10 Mari March 24, 2010 at 11:47 am

I saw the episode on Sunday night and love this show already! I already told my sister that she NEEDS to watch it! Hopefully this motivates her to start packing lunch for my niece.
.-= Mari´s last blog ..Press Pause… =-.

11 samantha March 24, 2010 at 1:43 pm

this is something i really care about – i grew up eating very healthfully and now am on a mission to cleanse my diet of sugar and chemicals. i know it’s cheap, but a big mac should NOT be a meal a child is eating on a regular basis!
.-= samantha´s last blog ..a step. =-.

12 Jennifer March 24, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for posting this, Rachel! After watching this video the other day, I felt compelled to write a letter to my friends and family and basically promised them to keep trying to be a healthier person. I recently found out that my cholesterol and insulin levels are high, so much so that the doctor wants me to lose weight or I’ll face getting diabetes. So far I’ve lost 27 pounds and I’m not stopping there! I’ve realized that my relationship with food was formed at a very young age, so I’m trying to fight years and years of an unhealthy mindset. The thing is—I can do it. And if I can do it, then every American can do it too!! I feel so much better, even though I still have a lot of weight to lose. In fact, I’m running my first 5K this Saturday! So Jamie’s definitely on the right track—I’m totally onboard with his mission!!
.-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Plus-Size Look of the Week #3 =-.

13 Caitie March 24, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I watched his whole first episode today on Hulu and watched the video you posted! Loved both.
I think it’s INSANE that a french fry is considered a vegetable!! Also, so sad that the kids did not know the names of any of those veggies. I can’t wait to keep watching his show!:)

14 Carla March 25, 2010 at 1:03 am

Love this post and I say it all the time but its just another reason I LOVE MY JOB!!! I actually AM educating children about what they eat and how to make better choices. It never ceases to amaze me how little they actually know, I litterally had to tell a 9th grader that Ranch dressing was not in the vegetable food group! Seriously these kids have no idea! I just hope I’m making alittle bit of a difference :)

15 Betty March 25, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Thank you for this great post! I am so excited for the show to start. I love hearing and watching people be so passionate about food and health. I will be signing the petition and spread the word. Thanks again.
.-= Betty´s last blog ..Meet Boxie!!! =-.