Getting It: What Little Girls Are Made Of

by Rachel on March 31, 2010

I really got inspired writing about loving what you’ve got enough to put on a bikini and reading your awesome comments, so keeping with that loving feeling, I have two videos to share today!

First, the onslaught starts young…

Next…would you say the things you say to yourself to a little girl?

Sometimes when we look at how kids perceive the things we do and say when it comes to diet, weight loss, exercise, and bodies, it puts things into perspective!

Most of my readers don’t have kids (although I know there are some moms out there!), but we all probably know a little girl. For me, it’s Ella, my 4-year-old cousin. She is so smart and so special and I love her so much!

Ella Birthday

I’m sure you all have a little girl in your life too — so maybe her picture is something you should add to your Vision Board as a reminder to stop talking shit about yourself (or talking shit in front of her). When you’re ragging on your thighs, just stop and think: would you ever say something so harsh to such a lovely, innocent, perfect girl? …Sooo why would you say it your lovely, perfect self?

It makes me think of this Marilyn Monroe quote.

Marilyn Monroe quote

While I love that sentiment, I think we can take it a step further.

“All women and girls should be told they are beautiful…because they are.”

1 Michelle @ Eatingjourney March 31, 2010 at 1:13 pm

This is SO incredibly important. Fundamentally, excruciatingly important. It makes my brain ache.
.-= Michelle @ Eatingjourney´s last blog ..Signing Off =-.

2 Melissa (It's a Veggieful Life) March 31, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I have a six year-old boy and I try to be very careful about how I talk about myself. I try to tell him that I’m working out and eating healthier to get HEALTHY not to get skinny. It’s hard with all the other influences in his life to make sure he knows that “fluffy” people (as my sister says) are just as wonderful as skinny people; sometimes even more so. :)
.-= Melissa (It’s a Veggieful Life)´s last blog ..Babies: We All Start Somewhere =-.

3 Melissa (It's a Veggieful Life) March 31, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Oh, one more thing. Caitlin as Operation Beautiful (http://operationbeautiful.com) is working on getting rid of negative self-talk, one post-note at a time!

4 Suzanne March 31, 2010 at 3:05 pm

This was lovely and so important. Definitely put things in perspective. Thank you for that!
.-= Suzanne´s last blog ..Fettuccine with Crab and Asparagus =-.

5 Tracy March 31, 2010 at 7:53 pm

LOOOVE this post! The little girl in that video is just too adorable and her ‘why do you wanna look like someone else’ message hit me pretty hard.
Thanks so much for sharing that.

6 Lindsey512 March 31, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Thank you so much for this. I love it.

This is quality health blogging, my dear! ;)

7 Tina March 31, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Those videos are GREAT! I definitely want to teach my daughter to love herself and focus on health instead of skinny. It is such a scary balance and I hope I can lead her through the world to become a confident woman as she grows. Thanks for sharing these.
.-= Tina´s last blog ..Intuitive Eating – Part 2 =-.

8 Keri @ Iron Mountain Movement March 31, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Mum to an 11 year old girl, this really hits home for me. Thanks or the great post.
.-= Keri @ Iron Mountain Movement´s last blog ..Sweating out the stress =-.

9 Rachel April 1, 2010 at 6:20 am

I just discovered your blog and can’t. stop. reading. I work nightshift as a nurse and have been soaking up your wit and humor during downtime while at the hospital the last few nights. I’m like an addict poring over old entries and trying not to laugh inappropriately loud…or look too crazy sitting at the computer giggling to myself. I NEVER comment on the blogs I read but since you gave explicit instructions to not be a blog-creeper, I thought I should oblige. I really love your attitude on food and body image. It’s so easy for me to get caught up in what about my body I don’t like that I forget all the amazing things it can DO. This post is a great reminder to celebrate what I have and encourage others to do the same. Thanks for sharing, and looking forward to many I-need-to-stifle-my-laughter-so-my-coworkers-stop-looking-at-me posts to come!

10 Rachel April 1, 2010 at 8:16 am

Rachel — Thanks for the awesome comment and for not lurking!! I love making people literally LOL at inapprop moments at work, so that means a lot to me!