About Last Night Part II

by Rachel on April 8, 2010

First things first…

Thank you to everyone who cheered me on in this match! Coach Healthy Hangover led Team Bikini to a hard-fought victory over Team Eggroll. I used brown rice, leftover grilled pork, frozen veggies, and an egg to create this little masterpiece. Then I went on a hunt for soy sauce (I may not have ordered a takeout container of MSG, but I was still planning to bloat like I did) and I found this magic potion in the cupboard!

I bought it for a recipe months ago that I never made and figured it might help the situation, which could have been very bland. It was perfect. It totally gave it that sweet and sticky Panda Express flavor that I was so craving, and it actually isn’t too bad for you. The bowl was delicious and — full disclosure — I washed it down with a Diet Coke. I haven’t had a DC in months, but for some reason, I just can’t drink water with Chinese food! So we’ll count that as a Team Bikini penalty, but still be happy with the victory!

After the food, my craving was totally satisfied and I started to feel like a normal person again. I even changed into jeans and got set back up at my desk! I’m working second shift today, apparently.

SO. ABOUT LAST NIGHT!!

So last night, when I got to the Comedy Showcase, I was actually super nervous. I had written/chosen my material last week, so yesterday I just decided to write it all down and memorize the order. It was a 3-5 minute set which, to me, is very, very short. (But I’m also a girl who always asked teachers, “Is there a word limit?” on essays.) When I started actually writing it down yesterday, I ended up writing a ton of new material! And that’s what made me nervous — I was afraid I was going to blank out. (I should have just made a note card. Tons of comedians use them and it’s not even a big deal.)

I picked up Jacki and my friend Andrew and we headed to Ann Arbor in absolutely horrible rainy weather. By the time we got there, I was just very jittery. I checked in with the manager and then scoped out the other comedians. They were a lot of dudes, as I would expect, but to everyone’s surprise, a few other women were on the list too! There ended up being four of us (out of about 15 comedians) which is unusual. I wore my glasses when I first got there in an effort to be taken seriously. My idea was that I’d let them think I was Tina Fey; sadly, my boobs are too big for this. The glasses did not provide enough distraction and the emcee hit on me before I’d even opened my mouth. Great. Now I had something to prove.

You get free drinks for performing, but I didn’t want to get sloppy before I went on stage, so I just had one drink: a tequila shot. I just needed to get warmed up and tequila makes me warm and more comfortable saying ridiculous things (often too comfortable, but that’s another story). It didn’t help my nerves a whole lot, but luckily I was early in the show — sixth I believe? My friends were in the front row — besides Jacki and Andrew, Leah and her boyfriend Adrian came, along with my friend Amy from college. A cheering section never hurts, but there was a big crowd, so pretty much everyone was strangers. Once I got up there though, I didn’t have nerves anymore; I just started talking! I thought of Chelsea, and how her show was like hanging out with your funniest friend, and that’s what I channeled.

My Flip cam fell out of my purse in the car, so Andrew shot this entire video on his Blackberry. The quality isn’t great and there’s a little glitch in the middle, but I think you’ll get the idea! It starts a few seconds into the routine; I just had come on and said, “Hey! I’m Rachel and the first thing I always to is tell everyone what race I am…”

So I think it went well! I was really enjoying myself on stage and just having a good time. After the show, once my nerves had gone away, I felt great. I mean really, performing is so fun. I love doing Shed Theater, which is partially why I haven’t bothered to do stand-up in a while, but it is great to get that immediate feedback!

I hung out and watched the other comedians — some were funny, some were ummm…not — and drank my vodka. When the show ended, I was definitely buzzed; you drop a jeans size and that’ll happen! Two older ladies came up to me and the one just said so sincerely, “Thank you.” I said, “Thank you!” and she said, “No really, thank you! That was so good.” But I knew what she meant and it was an awesome compliment! A lot of the other male performers complimented me too, which is always nice to hear.

Jacki and Andrew had been drinking Long Islands during the show, so they were a riot. Jacki rarely drinks, so I enjoyed seeing her under the influence like that. We went out for a little while after too. It was such a fun night! I hadn’t been dreading it, exactly, but I wasn’t as excited about it because I had no idea how it was going to be. I just had so much fun. Hopefully I will get back on the stage sooner rather than later — I am aiming for Royal Oak next week — and get to do some of the material I didn’t have time to include last night. But either way it’s always good to push yourself out of your comfort zone a bit and for me, going on stage in front of strangers with nothing but a microphone is a very good way to do that!

1 Christie (http://rollerkoesterrun.wordpress.com/) April 8, 2010 at 6:41 pm

That was great Rach! I hope you’ll keep this up, but more I wish that I’ll get to see you perform! I’ll even do a pre-set tequila shot with ya… well once the baby’s born ;)

~Christie http://rollerkoesterrun.wordpress.com/
.-= Christie (http://rollerkoesterrun.wordpress.com/)´s last blog ..x-bike day =-.

2 Diana April 8, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Aw, I’m glad it went well! :)
.-= Diana´s last blog ..A whole lotta food. And other stuff. =-.

3 Melissa April 8, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I’m a lurker but just needed to come out so I could tell you that was hysterical! You’re such a natural and the audience clearly loved it. Congrats!!!

4 Suzanne April 8, 2010 at 8:22 pm

You did a great job!! I was laughing out loud over here- if you ever come to Chicago for a show (or me to AA), I’ll definitely be in the audience!

5 Caitie April 8, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Haha, LOVED it! Especially the poem!!
I second that about Chicago cause I’ll be moving there this summer!!

6 Angela @ A Healthy Fit April 8, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Aweseome! Loved the stand up and the poem was hilarious!!
.-= Angela @ A Healthy Fit´s last blog ..I’ve got the funk =-.

7 Lexie April 8, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Rachel! That was so awesome! I’ve always wanted to standup, I think that looks so much fun.
.-= Lexie´s last blog ..NO MAKEUP! =-.

8 Steph April 8, 2010 at 9:11 pm

OMG WAY TO GO RACHEL!!!!!! You are so freaking hilarious!!!!! Congrats!!!
.-= Steph´s last blog ..Stephanie Mansour: Health & Fitness Expert, Body Image & Confidence Coach =-.

9 Laura Georgina April 8, 2010 at 10:10 pm

oooh oooh oooh I loved it!!! I’m so happy for you and had the stupidest grin on my face (plus cackles) the whole time I was watching–definitely worth waiting to watch out of the office.
.-= Laura Georgina´s last blog ..Classic Behavior: In Which Your Girl Returns to Her Roots =-.

10 Girlwithnoname (Jackie) April 8, 2010 at 10:28 pm

HAHAHAH!!! GOOD STUFF!!! You rock chicka!!!
.-= Girlwithnoname (Jackie)´s last blog ..We Regret To Inform You … =-.

11 Ruby April 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm

That was friggin amaze-BALLS!! :D You’ve got some serious talent, lady, keep at it! Thanks for the much needed laugh :)
.-= Ruby´s last blog ..Inspirangles – Start up Sundays #1 =-.

12 Tracy April 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Wow, that was awesome. Just as funny as I imagined you would be from the blog and obviously the audience agreed. Well done!

13 Samantha April 9, 2010 at 12:14 am

Good stuff! A little laughter is just what I needed to wind down from a long day!
.-= Samantha´s last blog ..School Lunches= Nasty Shizz =-.

14 Cassie April 9, 2010 at 12:38 am

kudos to you…. you did a great job.. you made it seem so effortless.. i would’ve been freaking out..
.-= Cassie´s last blog ..I Survived Cheesecake Factory – Yaay Me =-.

15 Melissa (It's a Veggieful Life) April 9, 2010 at 8:24 am

Congrats Rachel! You, as usual, are hilarious! Hope you do more stand-up in between your blogging, shed theater, and book promotions! :)
.-= Melissa (It’s a Veggieful Life)´s last blog ..Recipe Workout: Sesame Shrimp Fried Rice With Cabbage =-.

16 Britt @ Runnerbelle April 9, 2010 at 9:29 am

You ROCKED IT! So funny, you had me cracking up at my desk. You killed it, great job!
.-= Britt @ Runnerbelle´s last blog ..Missing my 1 minute of fame…..(if that) =-.

17 sarah @ syrupandhoney April 9, 2010 at 10:51 am

I am cracking up here at work! And you looked comfortable and beautiful.
.-= sarah @ syrupandhoney´s last blog ..Eggs in a Nest =-.

18 samantha April 9, 2010 at 11:11 am

ann arbor!!! where was the showcase held?

you were awesome….. jealous of your skillz.
.-= samantha´s last blog ..a problem. =-.

19 Mary (A Merry Life) April 9, 2010 at 12:28 pm

That was great! You are hilarious! :)
.-= Mary (A Merry Life)´s last blog ..Why I’m Not Running =-.

20 Allison April 9, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Oh damn, that’s amazing. There’s a handyman at my house right now putting new linoleum in my roommate’s bathroom, and I’m pretty sure he heard your balls poem and me laughing at it. And I’m totally not ashamed.

21 Mari April 10, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I can’t stop laughing at your Ball Poem! you are so funny honey….
.-= Mari´s last blog ..Boston Market Sucks But Trader Joe’s is A-OK! =-.

22 PaganAngel April 10, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

I was only a little bit surprised to when you talked about doing stand-up a couple posts back…like, when you have a newish friend, who you know pretty well, and then you find a new aspect to them, and you’re like…wow, no way! Made me think about bloggers…and how creepy-stalky-feeling it can be to be a fan of one. LOL.

I totally related to you hearing Chelsea’s latest book live…I remember the post when you talked about Cosmo and balls, and it was okay, but hearing you do it took it to another level! I hope you keep it up, and keep sharing!
.-= PaganAngel´s last blog ..Ultimate Peanut Butter Cup Cake =-.

23 heather April 10, 2010 at 10:23 pm

one day i will come where you are and see you do stand up in person.
i watched this, with headphones, in the coffee shop in my little village. I Laughed. out loud. for the entirety of the video and made a lot of scene kids wonder what i was doing. i told them to visit your website. enjoy a new kind of following ;) xoxo
.-= heather´s last blog ..Tarty Tar Tar: I Want A Goat* =-.

24 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition April 11, 2010 at 2:20 pm

You;re fuckin awesome. That was hysterical : )
.-= Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition´s last blog ..India- Taj Mahal & Mumbai =-.

25 Jessica April 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm

This video is hilarious! “She’s just SUBURBAN.” Haha! Can’t wait to see more!

26 Dori April 22, 2010 at 6:18 pm

JUST WATCHED THIS. I laughed out loud many times. You are hilarious and looked totally in your element. I am so impressed!!
.-= Dori´s last blog ..Run for the Parks Playlist =-.

27 Sari June 11, 2010 at 2:51 pm

omg you are so funny!! i love it!