Friday Foodgasm: Toss My Salad

by Rachel on April 16, 2010

Good Friday morning!

So, lately, I’ve found myself craving less sweet, fluffy carbs and more light veggies and protein. Since I’m not running 30+ miles a week or fighting the winter SADs, this makes sense. And since sugar makes you hungry and carbs hold water weight, I’m not too upset about this shift. Yesterday at snack time I wanted a protein snack that was still filling. I wasn’t sure what to have and then I realized: I should make a salad!

I mean, a typical healthy snack has 150-200 calories and contains protein, fat, and fiber. A healthy salad has all those things; I just needed to downsize a bit!

I decided that shrimp would be the perfect centerpiece for my salad snack. I could stand to eat more fish and shrimp is a light and filling protein. I defrosted about two ounces of shrimp for five minutes while I assembled about two cups of greens, mushrooms, carrots, onions, green pepper, and some cold roasted veggies. Then I sauteed the shrimp in a half-tablespoon of butter (for some fat and staying power) and then topped the salad with the shrimp, a teaspoon of pine nuts for crunch, and a healthy dose of straight balsamic vinegar.

Not only did it take me a good 15 minutes to eat the salad (as opposed to the five it takes to eat a granola bar, no matter how hard I try) but it also enabled me to get an extra serving of veggies and skip added ingredients I didn’t need. Eating real food for a snack is the way to go.

Protein snacks have serious staying power, but on their own, they can be a little blah. This is a great way to use leftovers, like that little bit of chicken you didn’t finish last night. It’s also a good way to sneak in foods with a lot of health value like fish or eggs. A scoop of tuna or a hard boiled egg on top of greens with a little fat (dressing, nuts, cheese) is a great way to get extra nutrition in your day.

When it’s snack time do you want this…?

Or this??

Go for the good stuff. It’s hard to get multiple foodgasms from a granola bar.

1 Diana April 16, 2010 at 8:32 am

That salad does look amazing! Hmmm shrimp. :D
.-= Diana´s last blog ..The 80’s and 90’s. =-.

2 Gracie April 16, 2010 at 9:16 am

Another reason why that salad is better than the granola bar? For me, that granola bar would lead to another granola bar, plus a peanut butter sandwich, plus a handful of chocolate chips, repeat x3.

Don’t get me wrong, carbs are good. Carbs have gotten me through many difficult life situations….and drunken nights. But when it comes down to it, my body prefers veggies, protein, and fat. And apparently my skinny jeans agree!
.-= Gracie´s last blog ..mission: lower cholesterol. =-.

3 Betty April 16, 2010 at 9:55 am

Yum the salad looks great!! I’m having shrimp today. I never thought about adding it to a salad.

4 Sophie @ yumventures April 16, 2010 at 10:34 am

Your salad looks ah-mazing. Granola bars never fill me up anyway. They just make me hungrier!

5 Kim April 16, 2010 at 10:35 am

I’m so happy about the butter! No, seriously.

Fat in salads is so important to absorb the fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) that are in the veggies. Your salad looks delish, by the way.
.-= Kim´s last blog ..Balsamic glazed chicken =-.

6 lauren @ Eater not a runner April 16, 2010 at 10:50 am

That salad looks fabulous! Sometimes I just need a granola bar though ;-)

7 samantha April 16, 2010 at 12:01 pm

i LOVE shrimplettes as a snackie – delicious, healthy and filling.

i am usually a fruit girl for a snack, but when i need something more, i add a gnu bar or something. cant get enough of the numminess.

8 MelissaNibbles April 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I eat small meals throughout the day. I can’t deal with bars (unless I’m on a plane or in the car) because they take two seconds to eat. The longer I’m stuffing my face, the better!