Pimp My Kitchen: Butter Dish

by Rachel on April 19, 2010

Since I’ve embraced butter, I’ve found myself reaching for my box of butter several times a day (!!!) and it’s a bit of a hassle. I realized…I wanted an old-school butter dish!

Since I love vintage cookbooks and vintage kitchen accessories, a vintage butter dish seemed like a given. The bigger reason, though, is that I’m not going to find a cute modern butter dish because it’s a kitchen gadget that’s pretty obsolete. Fear of the saturated fat monster has left us all reaching for tubs of margarine instead of the pretty glass dishes of years gone by.

So…I headed to Etsy! I found a lot of cool butter dishes but this sunny and bright one for $12 called my name.

vintage butter dish

How cute is that?! Seriously, every time I open the fridge and see it, it puts a smile on my face. And Betty loves it.

And really, with this dish, I now have two great topics of conversation. First, “Why thank you; it’s vintage…” and then, “Well, fuck yes, I eat real butter.”

Etsy is one of my favorite ways to pimp my kitchen because you can get one-of-a-kind true vintage pieces. However if you just want a butter dish to look pretty, I love this faux vintage one from Anthro.

[Speaking of kitchen pimping, this week, my “Stuff White People Like” tear-off calendar is devoted to kitchen gadgets. It’s a little comical how much I enjoy the things white people like — last week it said that white people consider Whole Foods their church. But today’s is “KitchenAid Stand Mixer.” Sigh.]

I’ve found that eating real butter makes me feel really “Mad Men”…and I don’t mind that one bit. Reaching for a pretty dish really helps me continue on with this delusion and it’s a better prop than pantyhose or cigs.

However, it does make me want to sip Scotch while making lunch and then bang on the washing machine, neither of which are bad things.

1 Rosy April 19, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Try butter bells t00! They keep butter fresh on the counter by creating a seal with water, so butter is soft and spreadable. BTW, I’m so happy everyone is embracing fat lately!

2 Jenny April 19, 2010 at 1:53 pm

GORG! i love pretty home/kitch accessories, I find a lot of mine at Anthropologie!

3 Melissa (It's a Veggieful Life) April 19, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Love the butter dish! I love Etsy too. My friend Amy has her art on there – Artwork by Amy Short – and she did an illustration of my son, Nicholas. You can see it at this blog post: http://www.itsaveggiefullife.com/2010/02/it-sounds-crazy-but-i-want-to-work-out.html
Back to the butter dish – it looks like something my grandma would’ve had. My much-older-husband comes from the “olden days” and still calls the fridge the “ice box.” It’s hilarious. Even our 7 year-old son started it calling it the ice box. Ah, the olden days, huh? :)
.-= Melissa (It’s a Veggieful Life)´s last blog ..Recipe Workout: Baked Grains Pilaf =-.

4 Ashley April 19, 2010 at 2:44 pm

i was just raving about my moms butter dish yesterday and was saying how I needed one! Great minds think alike my friend :)

5 Amanda April 19, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Cute butter dish! By the way, your post about butter and saturated fats this morning really opened my eyes…I’ve been avoiding it lately but after I read your post I made a trader joe’s salmon burger with a small pat of butter in the pan instead of PAM spray like I usually use and it was delicious! Kinda had that buttery taste to it the way seafood does out at restaurants…and I was nice and full for a couple hours!

6 MelissaNibbles April 19, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Nothing beats a pat of butter in a simple tomato sauce over whole wheat linguini. Butter those buns girl!

7 Clarice April 19, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Make sure to get some Kerry Gold Irish butter at some point. It’s so very good on basically anything.

8 Rachel April 19, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I actually got it on Saturday during my Tour de Groceries…I can’t wait to try it!

9 Michelle April 19, 2010 at 5:47 pm

My entire life my mother has been telling me that real butter is better for you than margarine. 21 years later I finally believe her. I use real butter for everything now and you’re right–not only is it absolutely delicious, it does keep me fuller. If I cook with butter in the morning, I don’t feel hungry again until 3:00 in the afternoon! Your butter dish is so adorable, definitely try a butter bell too. Soft, spreadable, delicious and fresh BUTTER!!