Press Play: Getting You Higher

by Rachel on April 23, 2010

We’ve talked about mushrooms and herbs and pot and pills and hemp…what a long, strange theme week it’s been!

And of course this week’s playlist has to reflect that! Well, thank goodness that whether it’s rappers waxing poetic about weed or pop stars talking about improving oneself, there are a lot of songs out there devoted to getting you higher.

First, a special ode to Afroman. “Crazy Rap” is one of my favorite songs of all time. I first discovered in when I was studying abroad; we were on a bus tour of Ireland and would roll through some of the most gorgeous scenery and greenery you’ve ever seen blasting possibly the most ridiculous song every written.

Colt 45, two Zig Zags, baby, that’s all we need. (Also, the Vevo version of this video, the “official” one, bleeps out the words “bong” and “tumbleweed.” Come on, YouTube.)

Because I Got High (Afroman)

High (Mark Ronson ft. Aya)

In Da Wind (Trick Daddy)

Higher Ground (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Your Love Takes Me Higher (The Beloved)

Weed, Blow, Pills (Three 6 Mafia) Three 6 Mafia is so ridiculous…

High All the Time (50 Cent)

Rise Up (Yves Larock)

Your Love is My Drug (Ke$ha) **I think she’s so lame but I support the line “lovesick crackhead”

Jimi Thing (Dave Matthews Band)

Touch the Sky (Kanye West)

Smoke Two Joints (Sublime)

Mary Jane (Rick James)

Crack Music (Kanye West ft. The Game)

Who Says (John Mayer) **I still think he’s a total douche.

Burn One Down (Ben Harper)

You could also just download any Whitney Houston album because that woman is whack.

Oh and there are SO many more…don’t forget to share your faves in the comments!

Have a great Friday night!

1 Suzanne April 23, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Here are uhh… a lot more – I didn’t see your shout out for songs, or else I would have just emailed these!
-Cocaine (Cream)
-Smoking on Hay (Crucial Conflict)
-Ganja Bus (Cypress Hill & Damian Marley)
-Get Em High (Kanye feat. Talib Kweli & Common)
-Blueberry Yum Yum (Ludacris)
-Ganja Babe (Michael Franti)
-Champagne & Reefer (the version I have is by the Rolling Stones, but I think it’s originally by Muddy Waters)
-Pass it, pass it (Snoop Dogg)
-Higher (Twista feat. Ludacris)
-Something about Mary (Wyclef Jean)

Sorry this is so long…. it’s actually a little embarassing! I used a date a huge stoner… it’s been over two years since I’ve touched the stuff though.

And pretty much any Sublime, Snoop Dogg, Bob Marley, Grateful Dead, Phish song… reminds me of smoking.

2 Amy B @ Second City Randomness April 23, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I loved “Crazy Rap”. We used to listen to it in highschool when we were driving around like idiots. I think honestly, I liked it because it was so dirty and it made me giggle… ;)

3 MelissaNibbles April 23, 2010 at 7:37 pm

“Crack is whack….kiss my ass!”

Gotta go with Weed Song by Bone Thugs N Harmony

4 Dori April 23, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Oh yes I am surprised I didn’t think of some of these before! Also good — Back in the High Life Again (Steve Winwood). Once again, excited to DL the one I don’t have!
.-= Dori´s last blog ..Run for the Parks Playlist =-.

5 Meredith @ Sweat Every Day April 23, 2010 at 11:01 pm

afroman just did a concert at the college I went to for undergrad and apparently the administration when berzerk when they found out what his lyrics were hahahahha

6 Mandy April 24, 2010 at 1:52 am

Quite a few songs by Illscareltt:
-Mary Jane
-Who’s got it?
-One-A

7 Rachel April 24, 2010 at 11:34 am

Wowww you guys have a large song library of related songs!

Also I can only imagine an Afroman concert. Sounds so fun!!

8 Faith @ LovelyasCharged April 24, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Just stumbled across your blog, and it’s so much fun!

Can’t forget We Be Burnin by Sean Kingston!

9 Rachel April 24, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Heyy Faith! I totally didn’t think of that one and I love it for a workout song!

10 Johana April 25, 2010 at 3:53 am

“You Makin’ Me High” – Toni Braxton always good to move the booty to!
.-= Johana´s last blog ..Yes this is happening and it’s delicious! =-.

11 Summer April 26, 2010 at 12:20 pm

“Come On Get Higher” by Matt Nathanson…maybe not nec. about the green, but still going with the theme!