Spring Chicken Cups

by Rachel on April 26, 2010

Since eggs are one of the best foods ever, I eat them pretty frequently — especially considering how cheap they are. But I wanted to try a different way to eat them. I had frittata at Leah’s last weekend, so I decide to play around with that recipe a bit and see what I could come up with.

My idea was to have some sort of baked egg dish that was already portioned out so it was super convenient to eat on a busy day. I started with her recipe and this is what I used:

• Three whole eggs + 1 cup of egg whites (four eggs) + 1/3 cup milk + 2 tsp mustard
  • Onions, leeks, garlic, and spinach sauteed in a tablespoon of butter
  • Two tablespoons chopped chives and parsley
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup goat cheese

First, I combined all those ingredients. (Let the veggies cool before you add them to the egg mixture so they don’t start to cook the eggs.) Then I poured them into individual muffin cups (the jumbo size) and grated a little Parmesan cheese on each one.

Then I baked them in a 350 degree oven. It took longer than I expected — about 25 minutes total — but I’d say just keep checking on them periodically until the tops are pretty much set and they are turning brown around the edges.

When I was done, I had a week’s worth of food!

It’s so nice because I hate chopping veggies and herbs, so in this case, I could do it once and enjoy the benefits all week. Each day I just put them in the microwave for about a minute. Plus, my omelets look terrible…in this case, I could actually enjoy something pretty.

It was delicious. Even though they look small, when you cut into them, you’ll find there’s a lot of goodness in there.

The herbs really gave them a great spring flavor and the goat cheese was just great. And even with all that goodness in there, they are only about 150 calories each.

This is also a really good snack. It goes back to the idea of having real food as snacks — this is way better than a protein bar, but totally something you can warm up at work. (I also had it for a bedtime snack one night.) My friend Lauren suggested you could put them on an English muffin and eat it as an egg sandwich. I love that idea; a very grown-up McMuffin! (Maybe for when you f*cked a Senator?!)

I think it works. Try it!!

1 Amy B @ Second City Randomness April 26, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I’m a huge egg fan myself. And yeah- they’re the base of some of my fav and cheapest meals! Ah… the life of a frugal and poor twenty-something…

I use cottage cheese instead of milk and throw mine in a ramekin- the CC makes it super fluffy! Got the idea from Low and Behold’s blog…
.-= Amy B @ Second City Randomness´s last blog ..Going for it! =-.

2 Rachel April 26, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Mmmm Amy the cottage cheese is a really good idea!! I bet ricotta would be good too!

3 Keri @ Iron Mountain Movement April 26, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I have a similar recipe, but add a teaspoon of fresh home-made salsa to each muffin cup as well…gives it a nice kick!

4 Leah (Nutritionista) April 26, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Okay, I make a frittata every week, and every time I tell myself I’m going to try to make it this way instead… But I always forget. I’M GOING TO MAKE THESE FREAKING FRITTATA MUFFINS IF IT KILLS ME! Did you really use a cup of goat cheese, though? It’s okay, I love goat cheese that much, too.
.-= Leah (Nutritionista)´s last blog ..Win It: Sustainable Notebooks by ecosystem =-.

5 Rachel April 26, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Nada…I used a half cup! I’m updating the recipe.

6 Johana April 26, 2010 at 5:01 pm

These are a total hit with the family (and myself of course)! Have actually made these quite a few times and so portable which is why I love them! I make it either in cupcake pan, muffin pan, pie pan or casserole dish, so versatile and oh so delicioso!
.-= Johana´s last blog ..I know u probably get this a lot but im new to tumblr and i love ur blog, and was wondering whose health blogs you enjoy? im sure it changes weekly and u love them all but the ones you reccomend right now (or a few) =-.

7 Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 26, 2010 at 5:50 pm

They look SO good but I don’t like eggs….bummer.

8 Rachael April 26, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Back when I was into the whole SouthBeach thing, I think I made something similar to these once. Your recipe sounds way more yummy because mine was BARF. And I didn’t even think to make them in the big cupcake pans … but I used muffin wrappers and it was a mess. Did you just spray the inside of the pan a little with cooking spray?

Also, how are you storing them, freezer or fridge? I froze mine and then heated them up in the microwave and it was not good. I think I’m making these next week for sure.

9 Rachel April 26, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Kendra — that’s a good idea to put it all in the food processor first, I hadn’t thought of that. And I’m definitely breaking my oatmeal rut with eggs. (Although when I leave one rut I just get in another…)

Rachael — I am storing them in the fridge in a plastic container and covered. Then heated in micro for about a minute!! Let me know how they turn out!!

10 Kendra April 26, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I make something like this for breakfast everyday but mine end up heart shaped because the hearts were the only silicone muffin pans I could find. My recipe is based off the one from the South Beach Diet… but better.

I change around which vegetables go in each week but this week there is spinach, mushrooms, olives, onions, celery, garlic, 2% sharp cheddar cheese, oh and the eggs. I use my food processor so that everything gets chopped really small and the flavors blend sublimely. I was thinking of putting these up on my blog as the anti-oatmeal ofr mornings.
.-= Kendra´s last blog ..Am I deep… or just thick? =-.

11 Tina April 26, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I am so going to make these tomorrow! I think I would eat them both ways- cold out of the fridge & warmed up.

12 Carla April 28, 2010 at 11:18 pm

I am officially the world’s WORST cook but I made these last night and they are fabulous! I am really impressed! Thanks!! :-)

13 Rachel April 29, 2010 at 8:31 am

Carla — that’s awesome!! So glad you tried them! And congrats on no longer being the world’s worst cook!

14 Kaytee September 20, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I made these this morning FINALLY! And they turned out spectacular. Kyle is always hungry when he gets home from work, so I am hoping this will be a good afternoon snack for him.