Always Wear a Condiment

by Rachel on April 27, 2010

Today we have a very important Public Service Announcement. Are you a ketchup addict?

1 Kate B. April 28, 2010 at 8:41 am

What a great topic!! I am a ketchup person for sure. Really it just goes with the sweet potato fries I make, but I totally use it for the taste and sometimes I do think that using less would be a really good idea. While I love ketchup I have also started using salsa more often than other condiments because I know it’s probably better for me, and it tastes so good!

Great video! I loved it!
.-= Kate B.´s last blog ..You Coming For A Run? =-.

2 Rachel April 28, 2010 at 8:42 am

Ahhh another ketchup person!! I knew you were out there…

3 Leah (Nutritionista) April 28, 2010 at 9:03 am

I’m totally not a ketchup person (or a condiment person, really). People actually make fun of me because I like my food “dry,” which I thought was a funny contrast to your “wet” food. What does it say about me that I like my food dry? Anyway, every time I watch these vids, I’m like, “Wait, now why again doesn’t Rachel live with me??” Haha.
.-= Leah (Nutritionista)´s last blog ..Make It: Pan-Fried Whitefish with Brie-Smothered Zucchini =-.

4 MelissaNibbles April 28, 2010 at 9:26 am

I love ketchup mixed with ranch. Come to Massachusetts!! The ranch dressing be flowin’ here!!!

5 Elise April 28, 2010 at 9:49 am

I went about 10 years without trying ketchup, mustard, ranch or any other condiment because when I was a kid I hated them. So then I was graduating from MSU and realized that “Hey, I’m a big girl now. I’ll try these condiments.” Still hated them. Part of my hatred was the slimy texture and part was the flavor. I also didn’t really like sauces of pretty much any kind (even tomato sauce for pasta) and cream sauces basically made me contemplate never eating ever again. For some reason, the only seasoning I ever felt inspired to use was salt.

I live in Ukraine now. I have discovered fresh garlic and onions. I make tomato sauce from scratch. I have a drawer of spices and bring the dictionary with me to the grocery store in case I see something I might want (I just found ginger the other day). The food here isn’t usually flavorful, so I’m not moved to spice things up by the local cuisine. Probably not being able to buy anything ready-to-cook has more to do with it. I eat ketchup now. (And we have approximately 1 million kinds. Today was paprika ketchup on my eggs for breakfast, and ‘Mexicano’ ketchup-sauce on my veggies for lunch.)

I still hate ranch. I’m sure that if someone were to ever hate-fuck me, it would involve ranch. When I think about it, I don’t miss home AT ALL.

But this video made me laugh.

6 Rachel April 28, 2010 at 9:51 am

Elise — “If someone were to ever hate-fuck me, it would involve ranch.” OMG that was the best thing I’ve read in a long time.

7 Kim @ LEO the lion says GER April 28, 2010 at 9:53 am

You could always make your own ranch dressing with Greek yogurt and herbs and spices, or even Greek yogurt + the Hidden Valley powdered stuff.

I’ve also used the powdered stuff when baking things to give them that ranch-y taste without dousing them.

I’m not a ketchup person at all; it kind of grosses me out to think about it, actually. I’m pretty sure the only place it belongs is on burgers. I have to have all my salads wet, though!
.-= Kim @ LEO the lion says GER´s last blog ..Makin’ It Monday: Banana Stuffed French Toast =-.

8 Laura Georgina April 28, 2010 at 10:47 am

I love the measuring out tip–I do it with peanut butter, but could definitely do it with other, sugary condiments like BBQ sauce.

And OMG, I hadn’t thought of ranch in YEARS!! I go back home and am constantly shocked by the creaminess of American condiments (full disclosure: I go home to Buffalo, NY, where the only thing unhealthier than ranch–blue cheese–comes from! And I miss it sometimes). In England, mayo and vinegar were the main condiments (as in, how bout some mayo to dress that salad?!), but it was actually hard to find ketchup for chips in pubs. Soggy vinegar chips? No, ta.

Here in Trinidad, they are condiment KINGS, but use very little of the creamy stuff; there’s an insane array of hot pepper sauces, thick and thin chutney, and herb sauces that are generally much better for you. And Rachel, you’d die at how Trinis eat pizza–doused in ketchup, mustard, and hot sauce.
.-= Laura Georgina´s last blog ..Hello, New Blouse! Nice to Finally Meet You =-.

9 Diane April 28, 2010 at 10:56 am

Ranch skeeves me out but I’m fairly obsessed with honey mustard. I used to joke that I’d eat it on dirt. When I lived in the dorms, I’d put honey mustard on everything to make it edible. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself, “Uh…if you hate the food, stop eating it. Don’t just keep shoving those buffalo wings in your mouth because you like the condiments.” I’m sort of glad to know that this is a common problem.

10 Shannon April 28, 2010 at 11:00 am

Okay, that was so funny and so very true! I grew up in Oregon and we put Ranch on everything as well. I cringe now to think of high school cafeteria pizza smothered in Ranch – eek! Although I have to admit that I still love Ranch and that little zing it adds to a chicken sandwich is so very nice :-)

Kim – good idea. I will have to experiment with making a ‘cleaner’ version of it from scratch.

11 Kevin Mitchell @lunchboxsix April 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Solid blog. Condiments are like my crack. In college if you would have asked me to I would have licked Ketchup off a strippers ass. I love it so much. I’m German, we grew up on it. Only Heinz though, Red Gold and Hunts is welfare ketchup. I have begun to learn over the past 3 years to ease up and only use a spoon full or so. I don’t think I could put ranch on my pizza but I may try next cheat day. Like I said I try to only eat that stuff on a cheat day and I try to skip the fried food that ketchup is more often used with. I am learning the portion side of condiments, that is my main issue with everything. Rachel – any blogs or articles you could advise that I can read on portion control?

12 Suzanne April 28, 2010 at 12:46 pm

College made ranch a part of my life… I’m trying to wean myself off of it, but there was a time I even dipped turkey sandwiches in it!! It’s not so easy to let go of! Another commenter mentioned mixing Greek yogurt w/ ranch powder, and I’ve done that too… part of the weaning process.
Ketchup is not going anywhere, but I am going to buy the organic stuff next time my bottle runs out- thanks for the tip! I just kind of thought of ketchup as a guiltless addition, but that’s clearly not true.

13 Isha April 28, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I have to say, I’m more of a mustard person, and ranch is totally not my thing (I guess that’s good news for my heath…). But really? This just makes me want french fries. Thanks a bunch.

14 Sophie @ yumventures April 29, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I am the french fry friend. Anyone want to share fries? I’ll do it! But you will probably only get to eat 1/4 of them, since I will chomp my way through as many as I can between you putting your hand in the basket. I’m just saying.

I am not embarrassed to say that I will eat spoonfuls of ketchup, mayo, or buffalo sauce (or all of them together). I <3 condiments. I only eat certain foods BECAUSE of the condiments they come with (do I really love chicken wings? Maybe not. Do I love buffalo sauce? Hells yeah!). Your PSA is totally right, I need to find a better way to get my condiments not loaded on fried food (unless it is 3am, then now way am I getting talked out of it). Maybe some new recipes will be a good start :)

15 Alison November 14, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Iowans are big ‘ranchers’ too…must be the midwestern in us.. BUT I now make ‘healthy’ ranch with greek yogurt and dry ranch mix.. I also sub it in any ‘sour cream’ mix or topping…tastes 100% the same..I even trick my brothers with it.

16 Alison November 14, 2010 at 7:07 pm

whoops….kudos kim, you said it first.