New Month, New Goals: May

by Rachel on May 3, 2010

I cannot believe it’s May already! Summer is approaching?! WHAT?!!?

Whateva — that just means it’s time to get some new goals in the HOUSE!

GET IT GIRL

A quick recap on my April goals:

• Core Fusion/Pilates — CHECK. Almost didn’t make it due to my body’s state on Friday but I pulled through at the last minute. And it shows. I’m pretty sure that’s why I had such a good time on Thursday night. When you feel really good in your own skin, when you reach “Damn, girl!” level (meaning you say that about yourself, a lot), you are just more excited to do terrible (and by terrible I mean great) things with your bod in bed.
  • Read more books — CHECK. This was so delightful to achieve; I feel smarter and back to my bookworm roots once again. I read a lot of books but I have to recommend the Christopher Moore vampire novels. (Start with Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story.) The series started in the 90s before the vampire craze and the books are just awesome — hip, smart, and really sexy.  Oh and hilarious; I literally LOL every few minutes. The last chapter I read in You Suck (the second book) was called “Nobody Likes a Dead Whore.” (See, you can’t even compare them to “Twilight” because, honestly, that shit is basically just the new “Fear Street.” If you like vampires, fine, but at least act like a grown-ass woman about it.)
  • Break up with Ziplocs and pre-cut my veggies — CHECK although I need to keep working at the pre-cut goal. Ugggghhhhhhhhh.
  • Get more into Michigan food and culture — CHECK! And I’ll be doing it even more going forward; I love this goal.
  • Get back into stand-up. CHECKKKKKKKK.

And now for this month….

• marilyn monroe flowersEmbody French Women Don’t Get Fat. While I’ve been taking baby steps in this direction, I’m taking it a bit further (more on this later) and I want to actually cook some of her French recipes! And other French recipes too!! This will also be my food and culture New Year’s resolution goal.
  • Core Fusion/Yoga challenge — I’m very excited for how things are going to roll this time around and can’t wait to share all the details (and a giveaway!) tomorrow. You know, I was chatting with my mom about CF last night and how hard it is sometimes and she said, “But aren’t you just so happy about what it’s done for your middle?” I was surprised; I said, “Oh, wait, you’ve noticed?!” She knows that I tend to carry weight in my stomach no matter how much I lose and she said she could definitely see what a difference it’s made in my middle, my back, and my overall posture. She’s not super crazy with flattery, so that was really nice to hear! (And her mother’s day gift was just upgraded!) Anyway, yes, it’s hard, but it’s worth it and that’s why I’m going on my third month of committing to it so fully.
  • Drink more water. This is dumb but I actually have been so bad about this because I’m paranoid to keep water on my desk out of fear of ruining my computer. I also hated all the bulky water bottles that would have solved this problem. The solution? I bought a water bottle that I love from Bed, Bath, and Beyond last week!

Looks like a Starbucks iced coffee cup but it’s reusable! It’s a lot more chic than a typical water bottle and I have already found it easier to drink more throughout the the day. So the goal is to fill it twice and drink it alllll.

That’s all I got for May! What are your goals this month??

1 Nikki May 3, 2010 at 3:27 pm

First of all, congrats on going on your 3rd month with CF! Is it a video or a class you attend?

That’s actually one of my goals (not only for this month, but in general) is to get my core stronger too… more planks and plank-related moves work best for me. (They don’t kill my lower back).

Another major goal of mine is to SERIOUSLY avoid sweets. I managed to do it fully for one day for OTB challenge, but I am using that day as a good motivator to continue with less added sweeteners (natural and artificial) going forward.
Thank you OTB Challenge for the push!

Good luck! And that water bottle is cute!

2 Rachel May 3, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Nikki — LOVE the avoiding sweets. That’s a mini goal of mine; I’ve sort of been already doing it, but now I’m just watching sweets like fruits because I think I was kinda overcompensating and I’m trying to just teach myself to savor thing! Also in regards to CF, I am doing DVDs…no classes here in Michigan!

Melissa — Getting a library card is seriously the best thing a girl can do for herself!! I love books too but I’m so sick of MOVING them all around. Over it; I’m either getting my own house or a Kindle. Now I get books from the library and if I like them enough to want to read them again, I’ll buy them. And GOOD LUCK with the Sweet N Low goal. I feel ya on the meth thing, I really do.

Emily — LOVE the outdoor goal! I’ve been feeling that too…when it’s sunny, we gotta take advantage!

3 MelissaNibbles May 3, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Congrats on reaching your April goals. My goals for May are to put more effort into my appearance at work. I work in a lab where no one sees me so I don’t bother, but it makes me feel good, so I’m going to do it more. I’m going to stop buying books and get a library card. I feel like books are trophys and I like to brag about my reads, but shits putting me in the poor house. I’m going try to cut out Sweet N Low once and for all. It’s tough though. Pink meth is hard to quit.

4 Emily May 3, 2010 at 8:27 pm

My goals are to meal plan, because I live alone, i often end up skipping meals or just grazing all day long (read mindless munching). I also want to spend more time working out outside! I need me some sunlight!

5 Dori May 3, 2010 at 9:50 pm

So funny, I just bought the exact same water bottle from BBB last week!
.-= Dori´s last blog ..Marathon Dreams =-.

6 Suzanne May 3, 2010 at 10:10 pm

It’s silly but I also find that when I really like my water bottle, I drink more water. I have a new one from Costco I bought recently, though yours is cute too… I drink a lot more water when I have a straw. I may or may not stop by BB&B this weekend.
One of my goals is to walk more -especially once move home from school and end this finals-week hell. You inspired this one too! I live about 10 minutes from Lake Michigan and there are gorgeous pathways everywhere… I really have no excuse not to.

7 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 4, 2010 at 2:42 am

I have been motivated by all you bloggers to set my own May goals as well! I want to run more, at least ten times this month, and at least three runs for 2+ hours. I workout 5-6 days a week, but I do a LOT of workout DVDs because I live on the beach in Africa and running in deep sand with children chasing you is not as relaxing as running in LA used to be! But I want to get back into running a lot more, so I am prioritizing that instead of stupid DVDs. Also, flossing every day!! Gross I know… but I really HATE it and I figure if I can buck up and deal for a month, then it will become a lifelong habit. But we will see about that part…
.-= Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards)´s last blog ..A New Month =-.

8 Rachel May 4, 2010 at 9:11 am

Courtney — I read your comment about water this morning in bed and immediately started chugging water from my water bottle haha. But the pee thing is just driving me CRAZY!!

Also, good luck on your long runs! And I LOVE flossing my teeth…I found a floss I like (“CleanBurst”) and now I’m kinda obsessed with it. My mouth feels a lot cleaner too.

9 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 4, 2010 at 2:47 am

Don´t know if my first comment went through… my internet sucks… but I also wanted to say, great goal with the water. I used to never drink water except at the gym, in favor of milk, juice, diet soda, etc. My new year´s resolution for 2009 was just to drink more water. It wasn´t natural at first, but now I fill my 40 oz bottle a couple of times a day (probably three?) and cannot live without lots of water. And having to pee a lot is annoying, but I have to say that even after just a few days of lots of hydration I felt SO MUCH HEALTHIER.
.-= Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards)´s last blog ..A New Month =-.

10 Eunice May 4, 2010 at 10:46 am

Goals for May:
– To cut back on foods that have artificial sweeteners. Once a day? That sounds doable. Then we can move on from there.
– I also want to try yoga, since I tend to be a little wired and anxious. This should help to calm me down and also to get my stretch on.
– To keep running! My first 5k is on June 6th, so I’m pumped!

11 Fattie Fatterton May 5, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I love Love LOVE Christopher Moore. The first book I read by him was A Dirty Job and I have been hooked ever since.

Starbucks actually sells a glass container that looks like the cup you bought, but I like yours too!!
.-= Fattie Fatterton´s last blog ..Sooooooooooooo tired =-.