Leek-a-Freak

by Rachel on May 6, 2010

This month, I’ve fallen in love with leeks! And not just because they have a phallic shape that makes it easy to make inappropriate gestures while I’m cooking.

Fake dicks aside, leeks are amazing. I had used them in soup before but wasn’t in the habit of eating them straight-up until I got one in my Door to Door delivery and realized I needed to do something with it. So I just cut it up and started adding it to the green beans or other veggies I was sauteing. And I realized, Holy mother of God…leeks are delicious.

Leeks are in the onion family, but their flavor is a lot milder — actually kind of sweet. They taste great sauteed like this, but you can actually just boil them and then eat them with a little bit of olive oil and sea salt. They are also a main ingredient in vichyssoise, which I might have to make this summer!

Mireille of French Women Don’t Get Fat loves leeks too. She actually has a two-day leek “cleanse” where you eat leek broth or leeks for two days. I have yet to try this, as I’m pretty much fine with solid foods right now, but I decided to give the leek broth a try.

I thought it might be nice to try as an alternative to tea when I’m feeling snacky, but so far, I’ve just been having it with my standard eggs and bacon lunch. The broth is a lot more savory than tea; the onion flavor is more present when you have it like this. But I just sip it from the mug and it’s a nice way to get some nutrients and flavor with my meal; kinda like having soup, but less work.

Also, I love cooking with broth, so I’ll probably use it in other dishes to add some flava flav. (Oh just FYI — you can cut off the dark green tops if you’re sauteing them, but add them to the pot if you’re making broth.)

Leeks are a good source of potassium so you might want to consider them if you’ve been exercising a lot. The potassium, combined with their fiber, also helps beat bloat and cause a mild diuretic effect. I’m thinking this might be the perfect companion to a healthy hangover brunch.

Most importantly, they also remind me of one of my favorite workout songs from the great Petey Pablo.

New veggies help you stay well-nourished and beat food boredom, so try leeks out!

1 Rachel Marlena May 6, 2010 at 2:40 pm

OMG side note and not about leeks at all but your arms look amazing. Super toned but not in a scary-Mandonna way. Way to go Core Fusion!

2 Rachel May 6, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Ummm, comment of the day award? YOURS. Haha…thank you though!!!

3 MelissaNibbles May 6, 2010 at 2:58 pm

FREAKALEEK! Shameka…Keisha…Tara

Never had a leak, but I love that song.

4 Shannon May 6, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I just discovered the wonders of the leek as well this week! I needed one for a recipe, but the store only sold them in bunches of two, so I added it to eggs in the morning and added some to a veggie saute – tasty! But then I also make a leek, mushroom and shrimp risotto – pure tastebud delight!!

5 sarah @ syrupandhoney May 6, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I have to piggyback on the first comment that your arms look great…I was thinking the same thing about your shoulders in that last video.

Was the “straight-up” pun intended?
.-= sarah @ syrupandhoney´s last blog ..Echoing "Bullshit" =-.

6 Rachel May 6, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Haha Sarah, thank you!! It’s the “Pure Arms and Abs” dvd for SURE. And the “straight up” pun was intended…and also had me humming “straight up now tell me” all day!

7 erin May 6, 2010 at 6:01 pm

i actually despise ONIONS with a passion. I hated them so much, as a kid I’d sit at the table and cry and cry and cry. Now i just silently pick them out. and i love it when people do take the consideration when they’re making meals and not include onions. But I almost always use leeks as a substitute! weirdly enough i prefer that!

8 Danielle May 6, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Agreed! Your arms are bangin

9 Carla Aldaco May 6, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I have to agree you are looking pretty smokin’ Rach! So I have a request, would you mind posting before and after CF shots? I need to just go out and get those DVD’s but i need like one more push, my gym membership is free so i cant see myself giving up my classes, which i guess i wouldnt have to but I know i’d go less often if i was working out at home. Anyway hopefully you dont mind :)

10 Rachel May 6, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Carla, let me go back through my pics and see if I have some before CF shots!!

11 Carla Aldaco May 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Thanks Rachel! Its fun going through old pics, especially when you know you’re hotter now!

12 Rachel May 6, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I know haha! I didn’t have many options because it was winter and I hate going sleeveless because my arms are my least favorite feature (every girl’s right?!) but I think this pic from before Core Fusion shows the difference in tone!! http://twitpic.com/1lnrn6

13 Rachel Marlena May 6, 2010 at 11:33 pm

The before pic DEFINITELY shows the tone. I am with Carla in that I have a gym membership, so I always just want to go there rather than core fusion it up but ummm hi. I would like those arms. I know you said in an earlier post that the founder said you could do Core Fusion every day. Do you think taking on one segment five days a week (effectively cycling through the DVD once a week) would still produce results or do you have to do all five segments a few times a week?

14 Rachel May 7, 2010 at 9:19 am

Rachel — In general, you need to work a body part twice a week to get results. (Once a week isn’t enough, three times a week is good, but most changes happen in the first two strength sessions.) I think it also depends which CF DVD you get. If you get Pure Arms & Abs, which I LOVE and what got my arms so toned, I would say it’s okay to do one segment per day (so four days a week total, 10 min per day) because you’ll end up working your arms and your abs twice a week. If you can commit to doing two segments of either body part during each workout (so four days a week total, but 20 minutes per day — you won’t even notice the extra 10 minutes, trust me), I think you’ll get better results. OR you could just do the entire DVD twice a week.

Let me know if you have other questions!!

15 Carla Aldaco May 7, 2010 at 4:43 pm