Getting It: Putting it in Drive

by Rachel on May 7, 2010

I often reference rocking out to dirty rap songs in the ‘burbs in my mom’s minivan. The reason that the musical stylings of Pitbull and Ludacris are coming from such a ridiculous vehicle is because I don’t have a car. It seems crazy to people who live in the Midwest/’burbs, because, like I said Wednesday, we loooooove driving everywhere.

When I moved to NYC in 2008, we sold my black Jeep Cherokee (oh Frank…I loved that car!). It made sense, but meant when I moved back to Michigan last summer, I was carless. On most days, this wasn’t a huge problem. Sometimes it was more of a hassle, but we always worked it out. And yes, driving around in a minivan cramped my style, but I think cars are sort of a necessary evil. Given the choice, I would rather spend my money elsewhere, so buying a car was not priority. Besides, I wasn’t in any position to buy a car. I’ve spent the past year going from struggling writer/fitness/social media chick to…slightly less struggling writer/fitness/social media chick. And that, my friends, is not an occupation you can put on a car lease application.

Now if you want to talk about cramping one’s style, living at home is worse than not having a car. I’m so grateful that I could come home and live rent-free and write a book, and in terms of sacrifices for a career, it’s way better than working at a job that causes me to have panic attacks every time my Blackberry goes off. But I’m coming up on a year of living at home and I’m starting to get a little itchy and ready to move. When your roommates are a five-year-old boy, your mom, and your grandma and they live a very different lifestyle than you do…yeah. It’s been a challenge.

The problem has been that I can’t move out without a car. And aside from needing a good “real job” to get a car, the whole idea of moving out was sending me into quarter-life crisis mode so I’ve just been avoiding it. No longer on a career path that ties me to a certain city, I can go anywhere. And sometimes, having options is the most overwhelming feeling. (Hello, how I felt in the toothpaste aisle this morning?!) So when trying to pick a location, it brought up all those big questions of career, money, relationships, and the meaning of life, I suppose, and no matter how much I thought about it, the end result was just…a whole lot of uncertainty. And while I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a periodic quarter-life crisis (we all have them — recent grads, get ready!!) the problem with my current one was that it was making me freeze. So I was using “I don’t have a car” as a way of avoiding saying, “I don’t really know what to do next.”

Long story short, I finally stopped being such a puttytat this week because I remembered that you never really know what to do next. And once I accepted that, it was easier for me to accept a car loan from the Bank of Generous Grandma.

Now, given the fact that I’m still a struggling writer/fitness/social media chick who sees cars as a necessary evil, my options were limited. But after a busy week of test drives and trips to the mechanic, I found one!

Meet Judy.

I love it, but when my mom called me from the dealership, her exact words were, “Well there’s a hideous Blazer here you could look at.” Now, “hideous” is not the right word. But it seems that when the previous owner (“Judy,” according to some paperwork we found) bought the car in 1995, she decided to pimp it out. And that meant adding running boards (!?!), the turquoise squiggle, and custom wood on the interior.

Um, what?! Yes, OK, a little hideous. It just doesn’t add up. And I can do ghettofabulous; I wasn’t so sure if I could do what sort of seemed to me like Trailer Park Chic. I imagine Judy has really big hair and acrylic nails and bedazzles everything. Like maybe I should be wearing this??

I don’t really care. The point is that even acid-washed denim fits my personality more than a minivan does. (My mom wants me to bedazzle “SHEDDINGIT.COM” on the rear window; I’m not sure if that car is something I want to really associate with the image of my blog…) The first thing I did was get an ipod adapter for the tape deck (YUP) and just celebrate that I had something with wheels to call my own.

And that leads me to the next important point…

I’m moving out of my house and moving in with Leah in Ann Arbor!

Wheeeee!

Now just FYI, Leah and I met through blogging. I had just started reading health blogs and Nutritionista was the first one that I didn’t hate (uhh…sorry, but it’s true; I had only read a small pool of blogs at this point) and after I literally went back and read every single one of her posts, I was like, “I think this girl is from Michigan!” so I e-mailed her to say I liked her blog and that I was excited to see another Midwest blogger. We started e-mailing and eventually the love-fest began! We ran the Detroit halfsie together…

And we have gotten really close in the past few months as we worked on the Outside the Box Challenge and Hollaback! We pretty much talk every five minutes now.

Leah’s been selling me on Ann Arbor for a while and I once I finally stopped seizing up with quarter-life fear, I was sold! I’m moving in July, when the most delicious, nutritious, fit existence ever will begin. Because we love so many of the same things, now we can pool our resources! That means…

• So much good food. Lots of local stuff. So much bacon and butter. A foodgasm a day, really.
  • The ballerest home gym.
  • The most pimped-out kitchen.
  • Constant motivation to try new classes, restaurants, and cooking methods.
  • We will be going to see more comedy shows and I will be doing more stand-up.
  • Nightly blogging time and discussions on how to improve our blogs!
  • The feast will take place regularly.

As much as I love my independence, I’m really pumped to have a roommate again! I’m also excited that in a bigger city, I can really take advantage of all the wonderful things our lovely state of Michigan has to offer…because there are many! Ann Arbor has a lot of culture, and it’s pretty crunchy, which is what I’ve been missing. So we are kinda proud to be young, passionate, ambitious people who are actually choosing to stay here. It’s an exciting feeling!

So yeah…when you see a baller Blazer roll into Whole Foods this summer blasting “Pimp Juice”…you’ll know who it is!

1 Teresa Wu May 7, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Both of your blogs are my fave health/nutrition/fitness blogs, ever.

Looking forward to reading about your adventures together. :)

2 Kate May 7, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I love both your blogs! This is so exciting! I can’t wait to read about all the adventures you will be having this summer!

3 suzanne May 7, 2010 at 3:08 pm

This is such great news for you! That car is awesome (I can definitely picture Judy in my head) -I didn’t have my own for so long, and when I finally got one… Hello freedom!
Also, my best friend is at law school at Michigan, so when I go visit her in the fall… I may or may not attempt to hang out you and Leah. Sorry to be creepy, but that is just a forewarning.

4 Lia May 7, 2010 at 3:08 pm

That’s so exciting! Love both your blogs so I’m sure you guys will do great things together :)
.-= Lia´s last blog ..My favorite breakfast =-.

5 emily May 7, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I am so excited for you guys! I don’t actually have a blog and never commented before but I love love love your blog it is ridiculously funny. I actually live in plymouth which is like 20 minutes from Ann Arbor.

6 Rachel May 7, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Emily, one of my BFFs is from Plymouth and I just went there for the first time…it’s the CUTEST town ever!! I hope to play there a lot this summer!

7 Ashley May 7, 2010 at 3:35 pm

So yeah, I expressed my excitement for the roomie move-in on Facebook, but OH. EM. GEE. That CAR. Judy rocks!! I agree that driving is a necessary evil. I think my dream community is a pedestrian friendly one that doesn’t exist in the U.S.
.-= Ashley´s last blog ..Real women? Not quite =-.

8 Leah (Nutritionista) May 7, 2010 at 3:35 pm

As your friend Julia said, I think I might explode with happiness! So excited to get to know Judy intimately. Also, I think we’re going to have to implement Sweat Pants Fridays. I’m going to celebrate the inaugural one in just a few hours…
.-= Leah (Nutritionista)´s last blog ..Ask It: Veggie Insurance =-.

9 MelissaNibbles May 7, 2010 at 4:50 pm

So exciting! You guys are going to become famous internet, celebrity, bloggers. I know it!! I’m so happy for you.

Judy is fabulous. I imagine her horn to be bought straight from Tina Tina Cheneuse and when you beep at people it says, “Beep Beep! I’m goin’ to spin class! Whaaaat! Oh, my Goood!”

10 zenlizzie May 7, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Holy shit, that turquoise squiggle! Well, at least you will stand out. I used to work at an auto parts store in college, and I was always amazed at the stuff people would get to “decorate” their car with. Cheap, horrible stuff.
But, anyway, sounds like you have big things happening! I wish I could find a roommate who liked the same stuff as me. Most people I’ve lived with have been dudes who ate dude-style or fast foodies.
.-= zenlizzie´s last blog ..The anatomy of a celebrity fitness interview =-.

11 Katherin May 7, 2010 at 6:01 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOMG I love the car…it’s so quirky. And I would totally wear that jean jacket…lol (seriously).

Congratulations on the car and move!!! So happy for you.

12 Katie May 7, 2010 at 9:51 pm

You and your acid washed jean jacket would fit right in here in Brooklyn!

13 Kevin @lunchboxsix May 7, 2010 at 9:55 pm

That Blazer looks like something from right here in Cinci-tucky. Ballin none the less with your own wheels. Who fucking cares what it looks like. Does it get you from point A to point B? Yes. Then Fuck it! I think that it’s great you’re moving. You and Leah are about break hearts and crush young frat boys dreams in Ann Arbor. LOL! Stoked for you on your new ride and your up coming living adventure. I’m looking forward to the double team action on the blogging ideas in July.. A modern art masterpiece!

14 maria @ Chasing the Now May 7, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Sounds like a great plan Rachel! :) I’m excited to see where this takes you.
.-= maria @ Chasing the Now´s last blog ..Make time to dine challenge =-.

15 Rachel's Mom May 7, 2010 at 11:31 pm

The paperwork also stated that “Judy” lived on Hill Road when she bought the car. Since this road is a major street in GB, if she still lives there it’s possible that Judy might spot you in her old ride! Maybe you’ll get to meet her in all her big hair, fake nail, bedazzled glory one day. She’d recognize her Blazer anywhere!

16 Aaron May 8, 2010 at 1:04 am

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII diiiiiieeeeeeeeee….love this post.

So proud of you, so happy for you, and I’m completely behind that wallop of a jean-jacket…talk about a bobby-dazzler!

17 Emily @ Relishments May 8, 2010 at 10:19 am

So excited for you both! Sounds like so much fun…I can’t wait to read about your adventures together.

18 Katie May 8, 2010 at 2:45 pm

NICE! Congrats on two big decisions. I’ve never had roommates that eat like I eat, that will seriously be the best. Can’t wait for the shenanigans.

19 Kristine May 8, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I am so excited you are moving to Ann Arbor! I will be there all the time. My sister will be going to U of M (so proud of her) SO I will be coming to visit her all the time! Also Pure Barre is in Ann Arbor! You will be able to take classes. It’s very similar to Core Fusion and the owner Carrie is amazing! I became pretty good friends with her before I graduated. Oh and you will be around amazing food! Where are you moving? What street?

20 Christie {Honoring Health} May 9, 2010 at 6:31 am

How exciting, you ladies are going to have a fabulous time together. Can’t wait to see all of your bacon and butter filled meals. I’ve never really had a roommate that I clicked with, except my husband so you two are very lucky!

21 Rachel Marlena May 9, 2010 at 10:12 am

Soooo Judy would actually fit RIGHT in in white trash Louisiana where I live. Yesterday I saw the exact blazer you bought except for …wait for it…it was primer gray and obviously hand-painted, on monster truck wheels (yesssss) and decaled across the back window was “size matters.” Judy is looking like a Rolls Royce now, yes?

Also super excited to see what this new fabulous blogger apartment brings us as far as fitness/nutrition — so happy for both of you!

22 Jenn May 10, 2010 at 10:08 am

Congrats! You guys are sure to come up with some awesome ideas, rubbing off each other every day! How fun!