Spins for Everyone?

by Rachel on May 10, 2010

Tonight was so great! I love my Monday night class. I love a morning workout but I know I bring more energy to an evening class. By 5:00 I am ready to work out! One of my students tonight even said during one of our first songs, “You just look like you want to take off!” and it was true. I was pumped for our fast songs; I can put everything from my day into them, you know? I love to wear myself out — especially when I know something delicious is waiting at home to be eaten!

So…I feel like every time I post a new playlist here or post the screen shot on Twitter, I get so many responses from people wishing they could take a class with me. And believe me…I wish the same thing! Think about my love for infomercials and my love for spinning and what do you get? You’re pretty much looking into the “Dream Job” part of my soul. Unfortunately I can’t do quite that.

But I was thinking about what I could do. I could create a podcast-cum-playlist…it would be like Gymnertainment, but instead of just entertaining you (although there would be a little of that too), I’d be actually telling you what to do on the bike. I’d count your jumps, tell you what positions to hit, etc. and you’d have really good tunes to do it to (better than in my actual classes because I could give ya’ll the dirty stuff). And I’d just leave it set so that you could make whatever donation you wanted when you downloaded it; that’s how a lot of mash-ups are, and it would be similar.

It would be really for anyone who has access to a spin bike. I love spinning so much but sometimes classes wouldn’t fit into my schedule so I’d have my instructor give me their playlist and then I’d just go spin on my own. (And I spin on my own now that I bought my own bike!) Most gyms don’t care if you use the bikes when there’s no class. Actually, 99 percent of the time, they don’t even notice. You could have sex in the spin room for all they know. (Uhhh…not that I have.) But it can be hard to spin alone…you have to motivate yourself and doing fast jumps all by your lonesome isn’t easy…so this would be a way to do it because I’d be telling you to do it! Sure you could go easy on yourself, but that can happen doing a workout DVD too. I’m sure most of you would want to make it worth your while!

I could also make one for beginners…a 30-minute ride that wasn’t as hard and fast. I would assume that you’ve at least taken a spin class before so you know how to set up your bike and the different positions and everything, because I don’t want you getting hurt, but it might be a way to build up your endurance and confidence so that when you headed to the hardest class in your gym in a few weeks you’d be like, “HARD JUMPS? BRING ‘EM! What’s up now??” and you’d do a little booty dance as you flew from first position to third like it ain’t no thang.

The other thing is, if you’ve taken a spin class before but don’t have access to a bike now for whatever reason, but you still know your way around the cardio machines, you could definitely do the routine on an elliptical. I’ve done this before too, actually quite frequently. If you glue your heels down (as you should anyway) and really pay attention to the resistance and incline, you can sort of jump on an elliptical like you can on a bike. Because my workouts are rhythm-based, the main thing is to always match your pace to the beat of the music using the resistance to guide you. Slow song? Turn it uppppp. Fast song? Take it down to a flat road and run. Instead of going out to third position, you’d just turn the incline up on the elliptical and sort of run uphill.

So I guess my question is…do you guys want me to do this? It would take a little effort on my part but I’m totally willing to if you guys would use it!

Like I said, I wish everyone could come take my class, but until I get a DVD or go on a world spinning tour, that’s not happening! So we’ll have to settle for a low-budget substitute. (And maybe if this takes off, my DVD infomercials won’t be far behind!) I’m also working on writing a new Gymnertainment download for this month, so you non-spinners out there will not be left in the dust.

So leave me some feedback and let me know what you think because if it’s worth it to you guys, it’s worth it to me! Even if I can’t take your virspinity, I can still try to be the best you’ve ever had!

1 Katey May 10, 2010 at 8:20 pm

YES!!! I would love this!!! While I love my 6am spin classes, sometimes getting up that early isn’t always an option (bangover, etc), sooo having this option would be fab!! I have tried to do it myself, and usually only last half the time, or work too hard, or not hard enough. Great idea!!

2 Katey May 10, 2010 at 8:25 pm

And….if this turned into a weight training thing too that would cure the middle of the day muscle def class I never make it to…as in doing this same thing, with music in the background, but you would be guiding me through weights? like hold the plank without me having to keep track of the timing…

3 Rachel May 10, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Dude Katey I could totally make a weight training one…OR like a “Spin and Lift” class where we did like 30 minutes of spinning and 20 minutes of abs and arms. Thoughts??

4 Andrea May 10, 2010 at 8:30 pm

That would be great. I like the other ideas posted in the comments to.

5 Anna May 10, 2010 at 8:35 pm

AAAA this is a great idea Rachel!!! if you would be willing to put in the effort I would SO APPRECIATE it! I love having someone to guide me through a workout (like the podcasts on Motiontraxx.com) but my schedule/budget prohibit me from taking classes so this would be perfect! You are amazing for thinking of things like this.

6 suzanne May 10, 2010 at 8:35 pm

yes please do this! I’ve never taken a spin class, though, so I actually don’t know how to set up the bike and everything :( maybe someone at the gym could teach me? Or I could do a real one then try yours?

7 Stephanei May 10, 2010 at 8:36 pm

OMG I love the idea of the weight training one! I would use the spin one most definitely if I was keeping my gym membership. But maybe you could do something in addition to the spin that us home bodies could workout too!?

8 Kevin @lunchboxsix May 10, 2010 at 8:39 pm

F’n brilliant. The chili looks hella tasty as well.

9 Amy May 10, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I was JUST thinking that I wish you could set up a workout schedule for me, since I have no idea wtf I should be doing, so this would be awesome!

10 Rachel May 10, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Ahhh all these comments are making me super happy and excited!!!

Stephanie I will think of something for you home workouters too!! Last week Leah was at home and I kicked her ass over g-chat so I’m pretty sure I could get you moving without any equipment!

Suzanne — if you wanted to, we could email about how to set up bikes and I’d do the same for anyone who wanted to! I just worry about like posting a “Here’s how to set up your bike!” vid and then *hoping* people watched it. I’d rather talk one-on-one to be sure you got it because having your bike set wrong can lead to injury! So we could do that OR you could take a real class to get a feel for it and then try mine.

11 Dori May 10, 2010 at 8:49 pm

“a 30-minute ride that wasn’t as hard and fast”

That’s what she said.

12 Rachel May 10, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Literal LOL Dori. “Oh you kids, you keep me young…”

13 sarah @ syrupandhoney May 10, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I love this idea, too. I don’t go to the gym but I’d be game to purchase something like this for home workouts or outdoor cardio/sprinting.
.-= sarah @ syrupandhoney´s last blog ..Second Spring Cookout =-.

14 Jennifer@ knackfornutrition.blogspot.com May 10, 2010 at 10:27 pm

That is a great idea! I would definietly use your playlists to change up my cardio routine. Sometimes it is nice to just “show up” and have someone tell you what to do!

15 lauren May 10, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I would love a weight-training one – I have NO idea what to do with basic lifting to tone my arms/legs and this would be fantastic! I’d totally use the spin podcast too.

16 Alison May 10, 2010 at 10:47 pm

ahhhhhh! I would love both!!!! weight training AND spin! I really want to get a spin bike(mainly so I can stop paying $50 a month for a gym membership just for the 3 spin classes a week they offer. lame.) and this would be so awesome! doooooo eeeeeeeet! :-)

17 Joanna May 10, 2010 at 11:24 pm

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG. PLEASE DO THIS! My FAVORITE spin teacher is no longer teaching and no one has lived up to his intensity!! With yer playlists, intervals and your personality it can only be a hit!!! Get er done!

18 Elisabeth May 10, 2010 at 11:38 pm

PLEASE, for the love of God and of all things good…you must do this. For the sake of my triathlon training. Because the city is a scary place to ride a bike, and the empty spin room is much less hazardous. I’ll compensate generously.

19 MelissaNibbles May 11, 2010 at 5:06 am

This would be great. I’d pay for a podcast with an elliptical workout. I get SO bored on that damn machine.

20 Rachel Marlena May 11, 2010 at 10:37 am

Ummm I’m thinking you should turn this into its own SERIES. You know “Curious George goes to the Zoo,” “Curious George goes to the Hospital.” But instead it would be, “Rachel takes us spinning,” “Rachel makes us lift weights,” “Rachel kicks our ass at running intervals,” times 10000000 because that is how many I want you to make please ma’am!

21 Jenn May 11, 2010 at 10:55 am

Great idea! I’ve downloaded these podcasts before — when I went on a cruise last year I wanted to do spin classes on the boat in the gym. Then the jerks wouldn’t let me use their bikes! ahh!

22 Kaitlynn May 11, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I would absolutely LOVE this!!!

I’m moving out to NYC to start my ‘big girl life’ in July (any life tips? suggestions? bars? gyms?) and i’d love to have you motivating me through spinning workouts if I’m not able to make it to the classes offered by the gym!

23 loreejo May 11, 2010 at 11:17 pm

grrrrreat idea! count me in and i second all of the above ideas!

24 Eunice May 12, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Ok, so I read this post after the other one I commented on about wanting to take a class with you (catching up after a week in Costa Rica :) ). Hell yes, this would be awesome! Looking forward to it!

25 Katie @ Katie's Healthy Discovery May 13, 2010 at 10:28 am

I love this playlist. I’ve been looking for some new songs for my ipod to work out to. I’m going to download some of those songs right now :)