When You Wake Up And Don’t Know Where You Are…

by Rachel on May 17, 2010

Good morning, everyone!

We need to talk…

I’m still the same girl…I’m never going to not be That Girl.

And like I said in the video, everything is already here — and then some!

The categories in the navigation menu represent the different topics I’ll be covering:

Does a Body Good — The posts you’re used to from Shedding It. It’s healthy eating and workout tips, “Lemme Work It,” and all that good stuff.

Fill Me Up — Mouthwatering recipes that make you seem like a Top Chef.

Giving It Up — Sex and dating. Cause I might have done both those things a few times.

I’m Spent — Product reviews. You know how I do. But I’m excited to start stalking non-health related PR companies for good stuff. (Hint: a product that allows you to brew your own booze is en route to my house.)

Get It, Girl — Motivation. Again…you know how I do. But besides just getting you to the gym, let’s get you to a good job, a better boyfriend or girlfriend, and…I don’t know…a spine.

Talk Nerdy to Me — Blogging, social media, tech stuff…my inner geek flag is about to fly high. This isn’t even about getting drunk and texting. (Uh, that will go in “Giving It Up.”) This is about using your gadgets for good! There will also be more posts about the slow painful death of traditional journalism and how it relates to all the new babies looking for jobs because I get a lot of questions about that.

Those are pretty broad categories — really, there will be so many fun things to talk about, I’m sure I’ll add some more along the way.

Anyway, I can’t decide if this is a big announcement or not. For me it feels sort of like, nothing is different but everything has changed, you know?

Oh well, that’s enough talk. I spent a shit-ton of time thinking about this and designing the new site and not a single moment actually writing any of the new stuff that’s on my mind. I guess if I’m telling everyone how excited I am for this change, I better make it worth all the time I spent breaking links and changing names. (Seriously.)

So…I need to go work on spinning some gold! Have a great morning!!

1 Ashkey May 17, 2010 at 7:13 am

Congrats on the changes! You are always evolving. I just got my own domain name so I’m excited about my changes as well

2 Paul McConaughy (@minutrition) May 17, 2010 at 7:24 am

I guess you could say you are “shedding it” on the way to “Getting it”! You go girl! You are awesome….

3 Alicia May 17, 2010 at 7:52 am

Rachel: you are a social media goddess – no BS here. I think all these changes make perfect sense. You have quite the business plan rolling here! Congrats on all your success. We all know you’ll keep up the awesome/highly entertaining work!
.-= Alicia´s last blog ..Dear Restaurants: No More! =-.

4 Gracie May 17, 2010 at 8:22 am

I think that you’re making a really smart move here – not just business-wise – but also for your readers. I personally prefer when a blog offers advice/content in many different areas, and I think that the categories you’ve chosen are spot-on. I’ve been hoping to do something similar with my blog but had no idea where to start! I mean, I’m “Girl Meets Health,” but my definition of health encompasses SO many different things besides fitness an nutrition. I just feel like I have so much to say but no plan of action to go about it (specifically when it comes to organization). So thanks for the inspiration (not in the sense that I’m going to copy you, but just broaden my horizons a bit :)). I can’t wait to read about your business plans for even more inspiration!

Do you think that in the future you could do a post about this whole process as part of “talk nerdy to me?” Meaning…how we can make similar changes in our blog to further our brand? I’d love that!
.-= Gracie´s last blog ..smiling is my favorite exercise. =-.

5 sarah @ syrupandhoney May 17, 2010 at 9:02 am

Congratulations! And way to have the balls to make this change – your courage inspires me.
.-= sarah @ syrupandhoney´s last blog ..Zucchini and Olives =-.

6 loreejo May 17, 2010 at 9:34 am

looks like a GREAT move! look forward to see where this goes for you Rachel!!

7 Nicci@NiftyEats May 17, 2010 at 9:55 am

I love all the topics you will be covering and I’m excited for the changes!

8 Rachel May 17, 2010 at 9:55 am

Thank you for the support you guys!! And Gracie — YES. I would love to talk about that. :) And would love to hear more from people with questions or ideas for this wider range of topics!!

9 Jessie (Vegan-minded) May 17, 2010 at 10:40 am

Congrats on the change, girl! I am currently going through a big blog change myself, so I know what you are going through. Way to break the mold and be different! :)

10 Mary (A Merry Life) May 17, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Changes are good! I think it will be good for you to be a whole person and have the blog reflect that (not that you weren’t before, but branding can make parts of your life seem irrelevant sometimes). I’m excited about all the topics coming up!
.-= Mary (A Merry Life)´s last blog ..Weigh In: Operation Sexification Is A GO! =-.

11 Nikki May 17, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Congrats on the new blog! It doesn’t feel like a big change to me because I’ve only been reading Shedding It for a few weeks, but I’m already excited to read about all the things you want to write about.
.-= Nikki´s last blog ..Personal Trainer =-.

12 Emily @ Relishments May 17, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Way to be, Rachel! I’m so excited to see what’s in store for the future. I love your blog and I’m sure its just going to get better.

13 MelissaNibbles May 17, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I think this is a great idea. Girl, you’re a brand! You definitely need to put rachelwilkerson.com on your new ride!!

14 Rachel Marlena May 17, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Love love love!!! I was out of town when this change occurred and could not figure out how to post comments via iPhone but I am SO excited for you. :) Get it, girl!
xoxo

15 Dori May 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm

You are so amazing and inspiring and I wish I was as motivated as you are! So excited to follow this blog through all the changes and new content and I am so happy for you!
.-= Dori´s last blog ..DSB Posting Schedule =-.

16 Anna May 17, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I love the new layout and vision! It is so sleek and organized and I think it will really take off. You are like a one-girl fitsugar and it is working. I love that you are a non-conformist when it comes to those mysterious “blog niches” and cliques. Yay for good changes!

17 Missy Maintains May 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Congrats on your new brand and business venture! I’m really exciting to read your new content! Everything you have to say is either funny, informative…well actually both! Can’t wait!
.-= Missy Maintains´s last blog ..9 Mile Hike! =-.

18 Julia @ www.britbride.com May 18, 2010 at 7:11 am

Sounds good Rachel! Can’t wait to read more!

Julia
.-= Julia @ http://www.britbride.com´s last blog ..Beauty haul!!! =-.

19 Katie May 19, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I was sad and sort of concerned because I hadn’t seen a post pop up on my Shedding It feed on Google Reader in a few days. So I clicked through and went on Twitter to make sure you were still blogging/nothing bad happened. First, glad that I just missed one important post and you are still blogging. Second, it sounds like you have found your calling and what makes you happy. You’re living the dream- doing work that doesn’t feel like work (well maybe the boring tax stuff… btw Kelli LOVES taxes, she’s crazy)! congratulations on your new ventures, can’t wait to hear more!