I Just Can’t Help My…Overactive Imagination

by Rachel on May 20, 2010

You guys know I’m a big fan of positive thinking. I’m a dreamer. When it comes to visualizing a great future, it’s easy for me. This writer brain means I have a good imagination. Sometimes this leads to a great Vision Board and faith in myself. And other times…this leads to slightly delusional thoughts.

I used to feel weird about this. But the more I talked to other girls my age, I realized…I’m soooooo not the only one. I don’t know what it is, but apparently, estrogen just makes your mind race with possibilities. And this is great when it comes to things like visualizing your perfect job. When I get around my girlfriends, we can imagine our whole lives ahead of us and those lives are awesome. But then we also enable each other’s moments of total delusion.

My friend Lauren and I did it so much we finally just came up with an acronym — DIK.

DIK: “Delusional, I know.”

It’s those things that totally could happen…and you can’t help but thinking them…but you also can’t help but feeling ridiculous when you take a step back and realize what you’re saying.

For example, “Well, I really hope I get that new job because then I’ll be able to quit this job and ask out my work crush whom I’ve been in love with for six months. And because we won’t be working together anymore, he can finally father my children. (DIK.)”

Oh, and I should mention that the delusional part pretty much always applies to dating.

But it’s not about being clueless or ridiculous. It’s not like I’m a romantic comedy girl and my delusional moments are, “…and then I’m going to find a perfect guy and we’re going to ‘meet cute’ and live happily ever after!” And it’s also not being in denial and thinking that your booty call is one day going to want to wife you. It’s more like..we like/love a guy…and our minds immediately just go ten steps ahead to how things could be and how we could get there…even if it’s a little crazy!

Like I said, I used to feel weird, but now I’m to the point when I’m talking to a new girl friend, I don’t feel ashamed. I just assume that she’s slightly delusional too. So I just tell her about “DIK” and there’s an immediate bond. We let our dreams and delusions run wild. And we never judge each other. (DJM — “don’t judge me” — is another favorite acronym of mine. I guess these sort of go hand in hand.)

And I’m telling you now, because we’re friends. I’m slightly delusional. And you are too. But as long as you throw “DIK” on there, you’re acknowledging that yeah…I got yo crazy. And because I know it, it’s totally OK.

It’s when people don’t say “DIK” that I start to worry.

1 ashleigh May 20, 2010 at 11:06 am

Hey Rachel, I just found your blog a few weeks ago and have been lurking and reading your archives. Can I just say I love it so much? the advice you give is great and HYSTERICAL.

I am so delusional. All of the time. Sometimes I regret saying things outloud because it’s so crazy that I have these thoughts..on a daily basis. I have got to show this post to my BFF because she’s worse than me LOL. Plus DIK is my new favorite abbreviation!
.-= ashleigh´s last blog ..My dirty little secret! =-.

2 Amber December 23, 2010 at 5:41 pm

You already know I am dilusional prob more than others! Love it!

3 Rachel Marlena May 20, 2010 at 11:21 am

Delusional party of one right here! Do you say D-I-K or make it a word (ummm dick?). I love the part about sharing it with a new girl friend though because it is HARD to bond with new people and if you can do it over a catchphrase all the better. :) Thanks again!
xoxo

4 Rachel May 20, 2010 at 11:24 am

We always say “D-I-K!” :)

5 Lauren May 20, 2010 at 2:45 pm

As the aforementioned “Lauren,” I must also point out that yes while we say “D-I-K” in our heads, we usually only use the abbreviation in BBM/text and gchat format :-)…but we DO use it a lot!!!

6 RhodeyGirl May 20, 2010 at 11:47 am

Sometimes, being delusional helps those dreams to come true. :D

So I am all about being as delusional as I can be…

7 MelissaNibbles May 20, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I’m very delusional. It’s the only thing keeping me sane!

8 Suzanne May 20, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I’m in a tight knit group of 7 girls and I’m pretty sure DIK describes us perfectly… especially now that some of us are hitting our “mid” twenties, have serious relationships, and are in entry-level jobs (or looking for a job)…. there are just SO MANY possibilities! Delusional… yes, usually.

9 Kendra May 20, 2010 at 3:26 pm

So it’s okay that D-I-K thoughts make up like… 85% of what goes through my head, right? I’ve totally been on that trip lately with trying to switch jobs so that I can have more time for voice lessons so I can get a scholarship so I can go back to school so I can finish my bachelors so I can get into a kickass masters program so I can get into a young artist program so I can become a world famous opera singer, move to France, and marry a Frenchman.

This is normal right? …and totally doable.
.-= Kendra´s last blog ..Welcome to Skanky Tuesday! =-.

10 Hayley May 20, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Hahaha, I am all about the delusions. The fantasy world in my head entertains me when I’m feeling bored.

11 Katie October 4, 2010 at 4:58 pm

How did I miss this in May?? Being single and unemployed but interviewing and dating makes me have a lot of DIK tendencies!

12 Joyce October 20, 2010 at 10:42 am

Just had to tell you I said this out loud for the first time last night. Then I had to tell my friend where DIK came from and gushed about your blog. Love it!

13 Megan Grummert February 20, 2012 at 8:31 am

Can I just say that a blogger/yogi friend of mine (http://videosofkittens.wordpress.com) sent me this post of yours because I totally had one of those delusional moments that I shared with her and our yoga teacher over lots of wine and dark chocolate the other night. My delusional moment is a love at first sight and subsequent envisioning of a life together with a long-haired sexy yoga student. Did I mention I’m engaged….not to that guy?
They also did not judge. Thank god.