Lesson #6: How to Seriously Blow It With Social Media

by Rachel on June 8, 2010

You’d think after the MaraNatha debacle, companies would start to realize I’m not some dumb blogger who takes samples from just anyone.

Apparently not.

When this little gem appeared in my inbox, my whole day improved. I hesitated about making it public, but I always say, if you use social media to promote a business, you need to use it well. And if you have the balls to pose shirtless in your profile pic and you think it’s a good idea to pitch via Facebook message to an outspoken writer, then you get what you deserve.

What do you think, guys? Should I holla for some “sampels” or what?

1 Kimberly June 8, 2010 at 6:53 pm

My brain hurts from reading that. Maybe Betty Lou should have spent more money on her son’s education and less money making the most delicious nutritious snacks in the bizz.

Spelling and grammar errors really grind my hide.

Holla!

2 Rachel June 8, 2010 at 6:54 pm

hahaha literal LOL Kimberly. My brain hurts too — try reading it out loud, it’s even better!

3 Betst June 8, 2010 at 6:54 pm

You should holla @ him, since he’s rockin pretty hard!

4 Sarah June 8, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I worn you…
new favorite pass time…
I wonder if he has an uncle that wants me to open a bank account ??

5 Annabelle June 8, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Not gonna lie, I actually lol’d at that.

6 Lo June 8, 2010 at 6:58 pm

I ABSOLUTELY think you should holla for some “sampels” because what you really need is another “pass time”. I know I shouldn’t get annoyed that this ass is “V.P of Sales” at Betty Lou Inc, considering (as he pointed out) Betty Lou is his mother, but JESUS how do these people get jobs? Maybe someone should have “worn” this tool’s mother that her son is an imbecile.

7 Ashley June 8, 2010 at 7:02 pm

AHAHAHAHAHAHA. Wow. Did you reply to it?

8 Rachel June 8, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Definitely did not respond! I didn’t want him to be able to see my profile because the first thing on it is the link to me mocking him.

And I’m not a bitch or anything.

9 Anon June 8, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Hi Rachel,

I’ve read your blog for awhile, write my own (not linked on purpose) and also run my own fitness company in California.

While I definitely get the sense of humor and sentiment of your post (and get that this is your “style)” and do agree with you that it’s ridiculous that they’d think this is a good way to approach someone, I actually find your post way more offensive than his email (and trust me, working in the fitness world, I get these kinds of approaches often).

Rather than use your time to make this guy a joke on your blog, why not write him back and tell him why you aren’t going to write him back? He might appreciate the lesson — you never know. While you clearly think of yourself as an expert on Social Media, the tone of your post pretty much is this: I’m an expert, they’re idiots, hahaha isn’t that funny? Instead, why not take the time you took to write this post and help out a small business rather than potentially hurt the reputation of a company that you may actually like and who potentially does have a great product? I mean, if you’re such a Social Media expert, why not use it for good and use it as a teaching opportunity for this company?

Not saying I would do that, but I also wouldn’t bad mouth someone on the internet in such a public way. Life is too short for that sort of negativity and karma is a real bitch, especially when it comes to business.

10 Sarah June 8, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Hmmm… I have to disagree with your implication that Rachel says she is an expert on Social Media, I did not get that from her at all. What I got from this post is when you send unsolicited sales pitches you have to be ready for how the world is going to take your information. In fact what I noticed, veiled in your trying to be helpful email, was that you seemed negative and threatening. If you really want positive karma – practice what you preach and help this person not hint and potential consequences to others. You are right, life is short, I work with cancer patients so I see it every single day so lighten up and look at the positive not the negative – look at the exposure this product has received.

11 Anon2 June 8, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Honestly, I think I have to agree a bit. Yeah, presenting a business in such a terrible way(someone please introduce him to spell-check. And grammar-check. And please-don’t-be-a-douche-check.) is certainly laughable, but I think we all know that without a post that seems a bit “point and laugh”, honestly.

12 Marie June 9, 2010 at 2:31 am

I agree with both you, Anonymous, and with Rachel. This is her style – sassy, witty, and at times un-nice. She pointed out the reasons she posted – it was unsolicited, the massive amount of errors throughout the message, and the fact that she is already known for being outspoken. I think he got what was coming to him, but I like your suggestion – writing him an email and letting him know why she doesn’t want samples or to support his business would be helpful. It would be a great way of using her internet success to guide an uneducated soul towards his own success, or at least away from douche-bag-ness.

13 Karoline June 9, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I think it’s pretty appropriate to publicize this guy considering his email does not clarify the actual name of his company. Betty Lous Inc? Betty Lous Ic? Betty Lous Corp? And is Betty Lou a person? Because you can’t tell from the lowercase. So, Anon, perhaps you should take your own advice and not spend your time criticizing what Rachel decides to put on her own blog.

14 Hayley June 8, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Wait, so the shirtless profile picture didn’t win you over, either?

15 Jessie (Bites and Pieces) June 8, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Wow. That was definitely the most interesting product sample request I have ever read from a company. At least he gets points for being unique! My favorite line was “me or the performance snacks” referring to both becoming your new favorite pastime. I’m not really sure what that means. ;)

16 Dori June 8, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Thank you for “worning” us all. My favorite part is how he got the URL of his own family’s website wrong!

17 loreejo June 8, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Ridiculous! and to Anon, DBR! :)

18 Rachel June 8, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Loreejo — you are priceless.

19 Stephanie June 8, 2010 at 8:26 pm

My favorite part about that whole thing? This quote ” I worn you though your gonna have a new favorite pass time. Me or the performance snacks. Were both are rockin pretty hard. lol”

ummm…..yeahhhhh….

20 Trinidad Pena June 8, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Ha ha ha!!! Someone recently called using proper grammar and punctuation on facebook being formal! People need to know when to pause when reading, or when one idea stops and the next starts. You aren’t being asked to wear a tux, just implement what you learned in 4th grade. It’s my personal pet peeve. Especially when people don’t use spell check. IT UNDERLINES AS YOU WRITE, just click it! And when promoting a business? Shameful!

21 Manon June 8, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Ummm…..this can’t be for real. SERIOUSLY.

And I’m with loreejo…I’m a little embarassed that my name is one letter off from Anon. I’m not a mean person, but seriously. SERIOUSLY. DBR. That comment was a joke, right? RIGHT??!!?!?!!?

22 Angie June 8, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Anon just may be Betty Lou… :)

23 Isha June 8, 2010 at 11:01 pm

It’s too bad you aren’t planning on replying, because it sounds like you could get a “sampel” of rockin’ performance that’s not limited to snacks.

24 shelby @ eatdrinkrun June 8, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I’m sorry, but anyone who writez (and spellz) like that deserves whatever ridicule they get. Reading and writing comprehension is a primary-school skill.

Signed, Shelby, because I write my name when I comment on blogs.

P.S. You should totally write back though. Ya know, just in case you need a pass time.

25 Kendra June 9, 2010 at 3:03 am

Maybe he actually has nothing to do with the company and was hoping that you would opt for a sample of him. He clearly has never read any of your posts on the whole “your” and “you’re” thing.

26 Tamami June 9, 2010 at 6:32 am

Very straight up approach, and niche product not to mention cute copy, heck i wanna buy some!

27 Manon June 9, 2010 at 8:41 am

Hahahaha…maybe Anon IS Mary Lou. That’s about the only thing that would make sense. I guess I don’t get the whole “I want my thoughts to be anonymous” thing anyway….I figure if I can’t say something out loud and own it, I should probably just keep my thoughts to myself. But whatevs….whatever fills your twinkie is what I always say!

28 MelissaNibbles June 9, 2010 at 9:46 am

Is that Hulk Hogan?

29 Rachel Marlena June 9, 2010 at 11:23 am

LMAO to the fact that the whole comments section turned into ragging “Anon.” Also…WTF is on the guy’s face?? Is that a white beard? Shaving cream?? It is driving me NUTS.

xoxo

30 Rachel June 9, 2010 at 3:09 pm

@RachelMarlena — it’s shaving cream! If you look at his other FB pics (which I did) it’s not there. He’s a young dude!

31 Rachel Marlena June 9, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Shaving Cream in a facebook profile picture — seriously?! It is like he is TRYING not to be taken seriously on any and all counts.

32 Jasmine April 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Why did you not also discuss that PICTURE?!? WTF? Is that a half-naked picture and a SHAVING CREAM BEARD?!?

Wow. Classy.