Bacon Ballin’ Outta Control

by Rachel on June 10, 2010

Recently, Jenn asked me for healthy snack ideas and I kind of struggled to come up with something original. I don’t snack a ton but when I do it’s often meals as snacks, or just things you’ve heard before.

Because who hasn’t heard “the perfect snack formula is protein + fat + fiber”? Usually this means some type of carb (like fruit or a slice of bread) and then something that has both fat and protein in it (like nuts or nut butter).

But I realized that instead of almond butter, I wanted something with real protein and real fat…(and by “real,” I mean “animal” because that’s what keeps me fullest). Enter…bacon.

Yes, bacon. Why not make bacon the protein/fat basis for your snack!? Instead of having chewy, crunchy, salty nuts, have some crunchy, chewy, salty bacon! And for your fiber? Well…bacon pairs amazingly well with fruit!

I got this idea when I saw some prosciutto-wrapped melon balls in a magazine. Sure, it’s a great summer appetizer, but why not make it a great summer snack? You don’t need a party as an excuse to make this delicious treat.

First I got a cantaloupe and hacked into it. Since I love melon balling, I went that route.

Unfortunately, my melon balls weren’t pretty. They were more “melon half-moons.” No biggie! You can seriously use poorly-hacked chunks of melon if you’re just making it for yourself. You want about 3/4 cup of cantaloupe.

Then I just fried two pieces of bacon. Now, if you’re eating a lot of bacon, it’s important to use good bacon. The additives in superstore bacon are not good for you; since I eat a lot of bacon, I’ve started buying local, uncured, nitrate-free stuff.

Anyway, cook the bacon and then let it cool for about a minute. Then just cut it into bite-size pieces with a sharp knife. I actually cut the pieces too small for wrapping, so instead, I just layered the bacon onto a toothpick between two pieces of the melon half-moons.

When you aren’t entertaining guests, who cares about perfectly wrapped melon balls?!

And then I feasted!

Seriously…this was so good. It’s not secret that I love salty-sweet combos but really, it’s just such a great upgrade to a “fruit + nuts” snack. The bacon is way more satisfying than any nuts. And just mentally, eating a snack like this is awesome. It was like a whole appetizer tray just for myself!

1 shelby @ eatdrinkrun June 10, 2010 at 1:28 pm

This is pretty freakin’ brilliant! I’ve seen the melon-bacon combo so many times as a party app, but wouldn’t have thought to snack on it. But, really, why not? I totally agree that it looks way more satisfying than yet another apple with PB!

2 Tara June 10, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Okay, so being vegan I hate bacon. Like you couldn’t even pay me to eat it. That being said, I had to comment because you take GREAT pictures. I mean you had me over here thinking, “well, that melon is extra juicy maybe I wouldn’t even notice the bacon!” But really, your blog is sooo eye-catching and interesting and your pictures and graphics are totally part of the reason why. And for me, juicy melon balls…totally a food you can take into the bedroom. Succulent and sexy!

3 Rachel June 10, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Tara…I have to say that you are one of my favorite readers. You really know how to throw down a compliment!! And I LOVE that I can woo the vegans in some way!

4 Tara June 10, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I Love that you woo me too! Honestly. You don’t intend to write for vegans- at all (hello, love of bacon!)- but that’s just a total credit to how thorough and well-rounded (and thoughtful) your blog is. Especially with the recent transformation, there really is something for everyone. I would never have what it takes to be a blogger, but if I did this is exactly what I would want mine to be about. I would want people to get it, the way I get what you lay down. And you really lay it down well! And by the way, my fav pic EVER, those bangin’, toned sexy legs. I mean, you even made me want to run out and buy a pair of Holla Back Shox!

5 sarah @ syrupandhoney June 10, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Melon ballers are much harder to use to make pretty globes than some people think, especially if you’re using a melon half. I think it’s easiest if you just cut off the top fourth of the fruit and work your way down from there.

But, I’m totally with you that it’s rarely worth the hassle. And these look and sound delicious.

6 amanda June 10, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Ohhhh that looks delicious!

7 Lauren June 10, 2010 at 3:15 pm

That looks so good! I’m using all of my willpower to ignore the “free ice cream for all employees this afternooon on the 9th floor” email I just got…………..

8 MelissaNibbles June 11, 2010 at 4:39 am

Greasy balls. Yum!

9 Jenn June 13, 2010 at 9:41 pm

LOL…being the Jenn in question, I’m totally flattered that you came up with such a creative post for my query for snack ideas…it makes me giggle a bit though, since I’m vegetarian.

Anyway, I think it’s a great idea, something to work with…appetizers, maybe I could go with deviled eggs? And I can relate, bacon was the hardest thing for me to give up, when I became vegetarian.

Thanks!

10 Rachel June 13, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Jenn — I FEEL LIKE SUCH AN IDIOT!!! OMG. Boy is my face red.

Bacon was what brought me back from vegetarian-land.

I LOVE deviled eggs. I’ve also heard of stuffing them with hummus and/or guac…so that might be something fun to try!