Rachel Getting Hungry: Banana Lime Jam

by Rachel on June 16, 2010

I used the recipe in the June issue of Cooking Light, which is just one of my absolute favorite magazines. They just nail it every single month!

This was really easy!

This is How We Do It…

• Combine 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup fresh lime juice in a pain and bring to a boil.
  • Add three medium peeled and sliced overripe bananas. (Or use thawed fronanas!)
  • Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for about 30 minutes, until slightly thick, mashing the banana occasionally with the back of a spoon.
  • Do not neglect the pot! I did for like five minutes and everything burned up and I nearly ruined a nice pan. FAIL.
  • Stir in two tablespoons of butter (or coconut oil!!).
  • Let that shizz cool and then put it in an empty jar.
  • Scoop, spread, eat, repeat.

HELLO — delicious and impressive. And it’s such a fun, cute thing to make as a summer hostess gift!

1 j@nycandlove June 16, 2010 at 2:12 pm

What about banana bread!!!??

2 Rachel Marlena June 16, 2010 at 2:15 pm

YUM! Is it more limey or more banana-y? I’m thinking it could make a REALLY delicious middle for a two layer cake. Maybe a butter pecan cake? Or a caramel cake if it is more banana then lime.

3 Rachel June 16, 2010 at 2:18 pm

@Rachel Marlena It’s more banana! There’s just a hint of lime. I’d totally layer it between pineapple cake (my fave). Great idea!!

4 Tara June 16, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Banana AND lime?!? I’ve never heard of that combo. I love lime and this reminded me of a lime coconut bread that I think is soo great in the summer. It’s an easy way to throw in some delish coconut oil, too. Although at the heart of it, I’m probably just missing not being able to drink beer.

Lime and beer…now that is what I call a total summer state of mind. Now that I can’t consume beer I think I’m going to need a new hobby!

5 Rachel June 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm

@Tara — Lime and beer seriously is the perfect summer combo! But you can always do vodka + water + lime!! It’s really refreshing!

6 Tara June 16, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Yes-you’re right! I have actually been waiting for a big night out to try that. I am not a hard liquor person at all- I learned my lesson a long time ago (Being THAT girl can so go wrong!!) so I need a special occasion to go big. But go big or go home I will!

7 D June 16, 2010 at 8:48 pm

That sounds amazing! Is this def a jam or can it be more of a chutney? I know that’s ridiculous, but I know you love condiments! I eat these “caribbean” veggie/rice burgers and banana lime chutney would be amazing on them.

Do you have any recommendations for good gyms in Ann Arbor? I want something without a huge commitment (I’m there for 3 months as of now) but great classes.

8 Rachel June 16, 2010 at 8:50 pm

@D — Hmmm I think chutney is kinda savory right? I think this is more on the sweet side but it might be kinda like a fruit salsa…still delicious on pretty much anything. I’d def give it a try because what you’re suggesting sounds really, really good! I’m actually thinking maybe tossing some jerk seasoning on fish and then topping it with this…YUM!