Reading Into It: Quotable Quotes

by Rachel on June 18, 2010

Summertime always reminds me of how I used to spend my summer vacations reading book after book after book. All I want to do right now is sit outside and read those perfect summer books! I usually read non-fiction but for me, summer is all about really good fiction.

Here are my favorite quotes from the books I re-read every summer!

“We laugh and laugh, and nothing can ever be sad, no one can be lost, or dead, or far away: right now we are here, and nothing can mar our perfection, or steal the joy of this perfect moment.”

The Time-Traveler’s Wife, Audrey Niffenegger

“I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart. I am, I am, I am.”

The Bell Jar, Silvia Plath

“They were satisfied with their lives which had none of the vibrance his own was taking on. And he was angry at himself, that he could not change that for them.”

The Giver, Lois Lowry

“We were not a hugging people. In terms of emotional comfort it was our belief that no amount of physical contact could match the healing powers of a well made cocktail.”

Naked, David Sedaris

“‘…Your trouble, William, is that you have no ambition. You don’t see that there is in life only ever one goal.’

‘And what is that?’

‘More,’ George said simply. ‘Just more of anything. More of everything.'”

The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory

“You know those days when you’ve got the mean reds…the blues are because you’re getting fat or maybe it’s been raining too long. You’re sad, that’s all. But the mean reds are horrible. You’re afraid and you sweat like hell, but you don’t know what you’re afraid of. Except something bad is going to happen, only you don’t know what it is.”

Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Truman Capote

“Emotions, in my experience, aren’t covered by single words. I don’t believe in ‘sadness,’ ‘joy,’ or ‘regret.’ Maybe the best proof that the language is patriarchal is that it oversimplifies feeling. I’d like to have at my disposal complicated hybrid emotions, Germanic train-car constructions like, say, ‘the happiness that attends disaster.’ Or: ‘the disappointment of sleeping with one’s fantasy.’ I’d like to show how ‘intimations of mortality brought on by aging family members’ connects with ‘the hatred of mirrors that begins in middle age.’ I’d like to have a word for ‘the sadness inspired by failing restaurants’ as well as for ‘the excitement of getting a room with a minibar.’ I’ve never had the right words to describe my life, and now that I’ve entered my story, I need them more than ever. “

Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides

“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”

A Room of One’s Own, Virginia Woolf

Do you have those books you love to read every summer? Any quotes to share??

1 Anna June 18, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I love the Time Traveler’s Wife–one of my favorite books ever–and that’s a great quote!

2 Suzanne June 18, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Cliche I know, but I love rereading To Kill a Mockingbird. I also like David Sedaris books and have been rereading… Harry Potter 1-7

3 Rachel Marlena June 18, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Too funny — I have read nearly all of these but I hated the Time Traveler’s Wife. It was like Jodi Piccoult for me — I get legitimately depressed and cry for days over a scenario that would never happen.
Love the part in the Bell Jar when she talks about feeling “very still and very empty, the way the eye of a tornado must feel, moving dully along in the middle of the surrounding hullabaloo.”

My very very FAVORITE book is The Secret History by Donna Tartt which I sincerely hope you will read. “I suppose at one time in my life I might have had any number of stories, but now there is no other. This is the only story I will ever be able to tell.” It is incredible. Other favorites are The History of Love by Nicole Krauss, and Around the World in 80 Days. :)

4 Jo June 18, 2010 at 3:40 pm

These are some great quotes! I love “The Bell Jar” and anything David Sedaris. I am a quote whore myself too. <3 this post :)

5 Cate June 18, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I recently finished Time Traveler’s Wife and loved it; definitely a new favorite. It was the first book I finished for this summer’s reading list! I just finished Commencement, which is great and am going to start a new book tonight!
great post and great quotes! :)

6 Abby June 18, 2010 at 5:51 pm

The Time Traveler’s Wife is one of my all time favorites. This is one of my favorite quotes…”Our love has been the thread through the labyrinth, the net under the high-wire walker, the only real thing in this strange life of mine that I could ever trust. Tonight I feel that my love for you has more density in this world than I do, myself: as though it could linger on after me and surround you, keep you, hold you.”
Such a fab book!

7 Rachel June 18, 2010 at 6:49 pm

@Rachel Marlena — So funny but I couldn’t get into “The History of Love.” I’ve tried to read it several times and just can never fully connect. I didn’t “get” Time Traveler’s Wife for about 40 pages but now it’s my fave book of all time! I will def look up The Secret History though, thanks for the suggestion!

@Suzanne — Love me some Harry Potter, that’s PERFECT summer reading!

@Abby — Love that quote! God I just love that whole book, it’s so f-ing romantic and REAL!

8 Robyn June 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm

My all-time favorite book is “The Things They Carried” by Tim O’Brien. It’s amazing. I never thought I’d like war books/novels/movies, and typically I don’t, but this book was so beautifully written, so compelling and engaging, it’s the first title I blurt out when anyone’s looking for a recommendation.

“I’m skimming across the surface of my own history, moving fast, riding the melt beneath the blades, doing loops and spins, and when I take a high leap into the dark and come down thirty years later, I realize it is as Tim trying to save Timmy’s life with a story.”

Beautiful.

9 Rachel Marlena June 18, 2010 at 9:43 pm

@Rachel — I get that about the History of Love. Idk if you have tried, but honestly I trudged through the WHOLE thing never really “getting it,” then suddenly, everything came full circle and it was a legit getting it moment. I have loved it ever since. Now when I go back and read it, I really understand the characters and what they are experiencing as opposed to my first reading of “ummm…okay?”

10 Anna June 19, 2010 at 2:50 am

I love this post! I’ve had The Bell Jar on my reading list for ages but have never gotten around to it…seeing it on your quote list reminded me to reprioritize my list and get it as soon as possible! I really love Jane Austen because I feel like a lot of her books apply to my hopelessly barren love life (for example, from Austen’s Mansfield Park, some derivation of “There are not nearly as many rich men as there are pretty women to deserve them”).

11 Olivia June 19, 2010 at 9:45 am

“Don’t attach yourself to anyone who shows you the least bit of attention because you’re lonely. Loneliness is the human condition. No one is ever going to fill that space. The best you can do is know yourself, know what you want.”
-White Oleander by Janet Fitch