In Which We Mess With Texas…

by Rachel on June 21, 2010

OK I must apologize for unintentionally being the biggest vag tease this morning and not giving you more details on my little trip!

So! I arrived in Houston last night around midnight and realized immediately that 1. This was going to be a good trip and 2. Texas is as humid as balls.

I’m not going to bore you with all the subsequent details — it would be such a gush-fest, I’m not even going to start — but one thing I have to share: in preparation of my visit, Eric (who is not originally from Texas BTW) had stocked the pantry with all my favorite foods, like cracked pepper and olive oil Triscuits, Goldfish crackers, and coconut oil.

As if that weren’t enough, this was also waiting for me on the bar.

Clearly, he knows the way to my heart! (Or just into my pants. But, then, I sort of like a guy who realizes the key to both.)

Anyway, I had planned that I could easily do work on this trip. After all, Eric has to work all day, so I can work from my laptop while he’s off doing engineering shizz.

But then, in the morning light, I saw the palm trees. And realized…I don’t ever really take time off. I’m never really not working, even when I leave Michigan. And I decided…it’s time to take a few days off! I’m on a date-cation after all.

With that in mind, I spent three hours at Super Target and Whole Foods (well, I spent two hours getting there and back; clearly Eric’s GPS doesn’t like having another woman around and decided to fuck with me hardcore). I’m pretty happy about that; there’s not much I love more than cooking for other people. And not just cooking, but also mixing: watermelon margaritas are on the menu for tonight!

I’m not going to be posting too regularly this week, but I will check in as much as possible with foodgasmic pictures and fun Houston stories! But for now, I’m off to go see about starting these fish tacos and get back to enjoying my very long first date!

Have a great night!

1 Michelle June 21, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I’m from houston and the weather is just unbearable right now!!
your date sounds SO romantic, I hope it works out :)

2 Dori June 21, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Missy and I had the most wonderful watermelon margaritas at her rooftop daytime birthday party on Saturday. Have a great night — and week!

3 Katie June 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Cheers girl! Have fun and enjoy your date-cation. Your excitement is contagious, makes me so happy for ya. Just one favor: if you jet off to Vegas next, let us know? ;)

4 Johana (My Quirky Life) June 21, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Fun story that may raise your hopes with this prospect! I will be in my friends wedding in NYC in October. My friend, who lives here (west coast) and her fiance lives in NYC…and they met in Costa Rica. One night stand turned into relationship…flew out once a month to see each other, took turns….2 years later here they are, getting married in October. Here’s to kicking distance in the balls!

5 Laura Georgina June 21, 2010 at 5:46 pm

You deserve to have the biggest grandest ball in all of Texas on this date! Have fun and take your real and well-deserved vacation (just save me a fish taco, ok)?

6 Ashley June 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Ahhh, I love this story and cannot wait to see where it goes. The totally ridiculous love stories are the best ones — look at mine! :)

7 sarah @ syrupandhoney June 21, 2010 at 6:25 pm

So awesome! Have an amazing, relaxing time.

8 VeggieGirl @ Farmer's Market Love June 21, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Rachel- Enjoy yourself and have so much fun. Cooking Light has a great receipe for watermelon margs you might want to check out.

9 Midgetkeeper June 21, 2010 at 7:53 pm

So jealous, I LOVE my home state.

I met my Husband in TX and he wasn’t from TX either ;) worked out pretty well.

10 Trinidad Pena June 21, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Good luck! I’m sending all my good thought vibes your way! It’s so exciting!

11 ashleigh June 21, 2010 at 8:19 pm

It sounds like you two are going to have so much fun, I can’t wait to hear more about it when you are back. Enjoy your datecation!!

12 Rachel Marlena June 21, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I for one would love EVERY GUSHING DETAIL! But I know you are off having a blast — thanks so much for the update. :)

13 shelby @ eatdrinkrun June 21, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Enjoy your time off! We’ll miss ya but I’ll trust you’re having a blast :)

14 Sar June 22, 2010 at 1:00 am

HAHA! clearly his gps doesnt like having another women around!

15 MelissaNibbles June 22, 2010 at 11:23 am

Have an amazing time Rachel!