Datecation Day #1: Fish Tacos and Watermelon Margaritas

by Rachel on June 22, 2010

Well, as you might expect, datecation is delicious. But I’m not going to lie; I wanted to impress with my first home-cooked meal. So last night I got into the July “Cooking Light” for dinner inspiration.

First, the fish tacos!

• I thawed frozen tilapia filets in water for a half hour, sprinkled them with Old Bay seasoning and salt and pepper, and then cooked them in butter on the stove top!
  • Then all they needed was fruit salsa (Target’s pineapple and peach salsa was delicious), lettuce, sour cream, and a tortilla.

These were really, really good. I have actually never had fish tacos, but I am definitely going to start having them more often!

The real fun started when I decided to blend that bottle of Patron with some fruit and make watermelon margaritas, also from “Cooking Light.”

• I put three cups of cubed watermelon, three tablespoons of lime juice, three tablespoons of sugar, one tablespoon of triple sec, and a cup of tequila (my quantity, not the magazine’s) in the blender and hit it!
  • Then I wet the glass rims with a lime and then rolled them in sugar. Then I filled them with ice and poured in the marg!

I’m not going to say I love a drink where you can’t taste the alcohol…but I love when you can’t taste the alcohol! Even doubling the amount of tequila, it just tasted like a delicious, light drink, reminiscent of a watermelon Jolly Rancher! Can you say drink, drank, drunk? Actually, despite the extra booze, I didn’t get drunk. Just happy! Everything was fast an easy, light and fresh…basically a perfect summer meal!

(And I think I hooked him.)

1 ashleigh June 22, 2010 at 11:45 am

Boo I can’t see the watermelon marg pictures. My works security doesn’t like you site very much :) However they sound very good and I’m going to keep it in mind for a nice light summer drink.. love the of tequilla!

2 MissyMaintains June 22, 2010 at 11:46 am

So romantic! I am officially in love with watermelon margaritas ever since the weekend. I want to make some too! Have a fun rest of the trip!

3 katie June 22, 2010 at 12:16 pm

looks delicious! hope you’re having an amazing time down in texas ;)

4 j@nycandlove June 22, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Add some mint to that marg to make it magic.

5 Trinidad Pena June 22, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I will be making this PRONTO! It looks so yum!

6 Angela @ A Healthy Fit June 22, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Nice! I love fish tacos and who doesn’t love a drink that tastes like a jolly rancher!

7 Ang June 22, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I was in Toronto last weekend paying out with some friends and they were talking about fish tacos. They told me they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have it on my list of things to try although around here (Detroit) I’m not sure where I would find a decent restaurant that would make them.

8 amanda June 22, 2010 at 9:16 pm

First off I want to say I really love fish tacos and normally order them when I dine out and of course if it on the menu. I have actually never made my own and really why not? They are super easy to make and yum! Also I have noticed more and more “skinny margarita” recipes out there. One of the places in VA called, On the Border, offers a 100 calories skinny margarita. I haven’t tasted it yet but I was curious if I would like it. At another Mexican place called, Uncle Julio’s, they have a sangria/margarita drink called THE SWIRL and it is beyond delicious but can be overwhelmingly sweet after two of them. So maybe I would like a skinnier less sugary version or just one made with real fruit.

9 Trinidad Pena June 23, 2010 at 11:01 am

I keep coming back to look at this pic, because it looks so delish!

10 Ronald Wears Nike August 15, 2010 at 6:21 pm

This truly looks amazing. Thank you for posting. I’ve looked at this picture several times and definitely have to make it now.