Datecation Day #4: Cougars and Quesadillas

by Rachel on June 25, 2010

HEYOH! TGIF! Seriously, I couldn’t be more excited it’s the weekend. Now datecation can really begin. (I was actually only planning to arrive last night!) Eric is taking half of the day off so we can really go out and play!

Well, we went out to play last night. We went to happy hour with some of his friends. I’m trying to keep the gushing in check, but it was a lot of fun.

So, after a few beers, we were pretty hungry and decided to head out. I stopped in the bathroom and ended up walking in at the same time as this older woman who had been sitting with us. (There were a lot of friends of friends at the table and a lot of people were meeting for the first time.) She started chatting with me. She asked if I was in landscape architecture like most of the people at the table (ah…nope) and then asked if Eric was too. I said no, that he was an engineer, and she cackled and said something to the effect of, “Wooooo-weeee!” [I don’t even know how to spell the noise she made…] “Quite a little body on that one!”

I just smiled to myself in my stall and said something like, “Uh-huh…” while thinking totally innaprop thoughts. When I came out to wash my hands, she just really started chatting me up. She started telling me that she had just gotten out of a relationship (uh, in case you can’t tell, I make friends really quickly) and how she wanted to start organizing some “girls only” happy hours during the week. She sort of looked at me expectantly like she wanted me to come but then we got onto the subject of how I’m from Michigan (it’s amazing how well you can get to know me during one bathroom break) and then somehow she brought it back to Eric. And she was totally talking about how attractive she thought he was.

Now. I am the least jealous person you will ever meet; it’s honestly an emotion I think I’ve experienced like…three times in my entire life. I don’t ever get territorial. But our recently-single cougar was starting to bring out the lioness in me.

So she sort of went on about him and then, I guess, had a moment of clarity and realized I had been sitting with him the whole night and we weren’t really keeping our hands to ourselves, so she finally said, “Are ya’ll dating?”

Now. Normally this is not a question I’d answer without a full confirmation from Facebook, but I was totally feeling “National Geographic” with the coug so I didn’t even hesitate. I just sort of drew myself taller for the impending animal kingdom showdown and said, “YUP.”

Cause I mean…bsh plz.

When I left the bathroom, Eric was waiting for me and my new friend took one last opportunity to chat him up and get his card (“networking” my high, toned ass) and really lay it on thick. I wasn’t even mad; I was more amused than anything. (I really wanted to say, “Don’t you think his hair looks sexy pushed back? Tell Eric his hair looks sexy pushed back.”) She asked how long I would be staying and I said, “Not too much longer, but don’t worry…I’ll be back!”

As we left the bar, I said, “Well, she wanted your balls.”

We had a good laugh about it…then I told him that I’m glad he’s so popular but that I’m still going to pee on him to mark my territory before our next outing.

It was pretty late and we were getting super hungry but we had no clue what we wanted for dinner. All I knew was that I was craving something encased in a tortilla. We decided to stop at Kroger and pick up quesadilla supplies. And grapes, because I had been in the mood for some grapes all day.

You should never, ever get takeout when you can go to the grocery store. Throwing on my apron and making this from scratch made it a million times more satisfying and delicious. It was just totally happy food.

Here’s the thing: you absolutely have to eat what you are in the mood for whenever possible. It’s the best way to live. If some cougar getting a little too friendly with your date means you’re in the mood for blue corn chips, Garden Fresh salsa, a quesadilla with sour cream, and grapes, then you simply must eat that. You cannot go wrong.

1 Dori June 25, 2010 at 9:37 am

I love this post and I think you should sell it to a magazine as an article, that is how perfect it is. “I gave her my biggest smile, hoping that besides looking overbleached, my teeth also looked super sharp.” — LOVE it.

What kind of quesadillas did you make? They look so delicious. I had quesadillas last night too, goat cheese, “mexican cheeses” and veggies. So good. I envy the way you can just cook up a feast after a few drinks. You know I’d get takeout.

2 Rachel June 25, 2010 at 9:47 am

Haha Dori thanks!! I know I really need to get my shit together and start freelancing for mags.

The quesadillas were sooo basic! Just Mexican cheeses; I was in a “fast-cheap-easy” mood, not an “actually create something impressive” mood. But even fast-cheap-easy quesadillas are so good!!

And yes, cooking after a few drinks is totally my thang.

3 Nicole June 25, 2010 at 9:37 am

HAHAHA “pee on his back” & mean girls references. love it.

4 sarah @ syrupandhoney June 25, 2010 at 9:49 am

You made the jealousy hilarious but that doesn’t hide its super cuteness, girl! Glad you’re having a wonderful trip.

5 Rachel June 25, 2010 at 10:14 am

Haha, Sarah, you know, it was only after I wrote it all down that I realized sort of the implication of why I was experiencing jealousy for the first time. I was hoping you wouldn’t catch it…I’m losing my edge already…

6 Fit Girl June 25, 2010 at 10:25 am

The cheek of her still slipping him the card under the guise of networking, glad you killed her with kindness and flashed her the sparkly fangs!! Happy weekend sweets!

7 Angela @ A Healthy Fit June 25, 2010 at 10:36 am

ha ha! Pee on him the next time you go out! That is great! Cougar needed to slow her roll!!

Glad you are having a great datecation!!!

8 Trinidad Pena June 25, 2010 at 10:43 am

OMG! You are so starting to fall! Where is he on the dating scale? I must know!

9 Rachel Marlena June 25, 2010 at 11:01 am

Psh I think it is pretty obvious Eric is a solid FIVE even if Rachel’s not admitting it.
“I’m going to have to pee on you to mark my territory…” LMAO I feel the need to say this in real life now.
xoxo

10 Kaytee June 25, 2010 at 10:51 am

I love you. I seriously do. And I totally feel you on the whole territorial thing. Last night I told the boy if that waitress didn’t stop staring him down, I was going to give her an elbow to the face. I think he thought I was kidding, but… I was definitely not.

ALSO! I’m emailing you. Right now.

11 Bonnie B June 25, 2010 at 11:00 am

I never thought of a golden shower as a way to mark your territory. And as someone too old even to be a cougar, all I can say is that you can blame a girl for trying.

12 MoneyMaus June 25, 2010 at 11:28 am

Woohoo! Way to be the better person. And you better pee on him next time, lol!!! ;)

Cooking after drinking is awesome. Especially grilling! Hooray for quesadillas. You rock!

13 march June 25, 2010 at 11:33 am

“Don’t you think his hair looks sexy pushed back? Tell Eric his hair looks sexy pushed back.” hahahah oh man, so good. sounds like you are having a great time!! i wanna see his face! :)

14 Sari June 25, 2010 at 1:31 pm

HAHAHA you are killing me with that mean girls reference! loves it!

15 amanda June 25, 2010 at 2:09 pm

HAHAHA That is sooooo funny. We actually have a bar in the town center where I leave that I nicknamed “Cougarville” because during happy hour they scout this place. It is great to go there for cougar spotting and watching. They are very fiesty bunch too

16 Laura Georgina June 25, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Lioness growls, lioness provides–all with class and sass! This is like the best date EVER.

17 Allison June 25, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Haha, that is awesome! I hear you on the jealousy thing…there may have been one time I was out with my boyfriend and overheard some girls talking about him…so I may have leaned over and said “You know the best part? He’s going home with me tonight.”

Totally not sorry.

18 shelby @ eatdrinkrun June 25, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I agree with Dori, this should definitely be in a magazine! Cute, funny, and made me grin.

Glad you are having a great trip! :)

19 Heather June 25, 2010 at 9:26 pm

So when’s the wedding? Why haven’t you asked me to sing in it yet?

All kidding aside, I LOVE this! And did you really bring your apron? Please tell me you did.

20 Rachel's Mom June 25, 2010 at 11:40 pm

I love this!

21 Aaron June 27, 2010 at 2:24 pm

(“networking” my high, toned ass)

HAAAAAAA! Love love love. My favorite post from the week.

22 Heather February 24, 2011 at 11:02 am

Dear Rachel –

First off, I would like to point out that I have indeed noticed that 99% of the comments I leave you are in letter form. I don’t leave many comments on blogs in general, but I have found myself writing “Dear Rachel” more often then not when I decide to share something. I think, perhaps, it makes me feel like a digital age penpal, and therefore, I am fulfilling the dreams of my second great self.

Also, I seem to very often visit the links you place in your current posts. For example, today, I visited this post, a very many months after it was originally written. I also visited the “Totally Awesome vs Rock Bottom” post and laughed my ass off. All this to say, it’s working. Those links peak my interest and I run off to read, or reread, posts from the past.

I wanted to thank you for this; “you absolutely have to eat what you are in the mood for whenever possible. It’s the best way to live.”

This morning I saw a photo of some garlic cheese bread at approximentally 8:15 AM. At 9:30 AM, I was still thinking about this garlic cheese bread. I was mentioned my desire for said bread-o-goodness at 10:15 AM to my boss. I looked at a delivery menu from the local pizza place at 10:35 AM, and kept trying to talk myself out of it. “I have a sweet potato, and red pepper strips, and hummus in the fridge,” I thought. Then a little tear formed in my eye as I thought about the garlic cheese bread, all warm and gooey.

Then I read your post, followed by TA vs RB, followed by this post. And I LLOLed. [as predicted] When I got to the bottom of your post and saw the encouragement to live “the best way to live” – I decided to just submit to the carb craving and order garlic cheese bread. Thank you. You are my hero. My taste buds will thank you. I am sure of it.

xoxox