I love what happens when you return from datecation only to discover you were so caught up in the moment, you ran out of town five days early and left behind a fridge of good groceries…that’s not so good anymore!
Yesterday around lunch time I was getting pretty hungry and had limited options. It was at that point I started going through the freezer…where I found the bag of frozen scallops I had bought a couple months ago to make a recipe for bacon, spinach, and scallops from Cooking Light. I couldn’t remember the exact recipe, so I took what I knew from my recipe for warm greens and then added the new proteins up in the mix!
Ingredients (Serves YOUR HUNGRY ASS!)
- Two slices of bacon
- Six ounces frozen scallops, thawed in cold water (takes about five minutes)
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- As much spinach as you are fit to handle (or any greens really) — keep in mind it really cooks down, so you’ll probably want several cups.
This Is How We Do It
- Fry the bacon in a pan until it’s crispy and set it aside. Once it’s cool, crumble it.
- Add the thawed scallops to the bacon fat and cook them for about four minutes, seasoning with pepper, garlic, or whatever herbs you have handy. Set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan and saute the spinach; when it’s almost done, add the scallops back to the pan for the last minute or so.
- Serve the greens and scallops topped with the crumbled bacon.
The salty bacon and buttery scallops and greens are just allll good!
This is a ridiculously fast and easy dinner; way faster, actually, than calling for take-out. It was also really light, which I’ve been wanting with everything I eat lately.
Definitely a good “purple meal” to add to the rotation!