New Month, New Goals: July

by Rachel on July 1, 2010

It’s July 1st…you know what that means!

First, let’s check in with June! Um, June was a little rough, mainly because I took on a bunch of new work-related projects and then went on an unplanned vacation. Hey…I did my best!

• Go for a morning walk. This went great for the first week until inclement weather got in the way and I fell off the wagon. I still went for my daily walks, but I didn’t return to my morning exercising roots.
  • Sell my shizz. No time. Just no time. I still might actually try to get on this over the holiday weekend.
  • Core Fusion Ms. New Booty Challenge. This goal was really, really, really hard. First of all, I realized that with the way my schedule was set for the days I teach spin, I could only do the Thighs & Glutes DVD three days a week, as opposed to the four I had planned. Um…three was plenty. My lower body wasn’t so much always sore as always just tired. I did my best and managed ten sessions this month; I wanted to do twelve, but always getting in two days a week was fine with me. And the bottom line is that my bottom line looks fantastic.

All right, moving right along, looking hopefully toward the future…

• Do an hour of Core Fusion twice a week. My hour of CF is going to be a mash-up of my faves: two arms and one abs segment from Pure Abs & Arms and two thigh and one butt segment from Thighs & Glutes.
  • Run for 20 minutes three times a week. I’ve been loving not washing my hair as often but, I don’t know…lately I have just felt like running. But at the same time, I haven’t actually been running. So I want to make it a goal so I’ll actually be sure to do it.  (Oh and Susan Miller said I need to focus on my health this month and that it’s a good time to start a new routine or get back on track. The July horoscopes aren’t up on the site yet but I have the Blackberry app and get everything day early for some reason.)
  • Work on freelancing articles to magazines. I don’t know why I haven’t been on this sooner. I have an agent, I have a ton of good content and material; it will not even take that much effort to do this. WTF, Rachel? I’ve been really focused on other forms of income lately and I totally forgot that can, actually, make me money.

This month feels really off because I’m moving to Ann Arbor in two weeks. I’m not giving myself very strict goals because my life feels incredibly up in the air right now. I don’t know why; moving isn’t that big of a deal and I’m not moving that far. Still, I just feel like mentally I’m on summer vacation right now and that means I want to spend less time feeling like I have to do anything. And, honestly, there’s not a ton I feel like I want to do this month. These goals will help me keep pushing myself without feeling like I’m missing out on summer to work out or work. Sometimes, I think, we all feel ourselves starting to slow down and I’m pretty sure that in the same way that urge comes at 3 PM during the day, it also comes during the entire month of July for many people.

So that’s all I got! Are you on a mental summer vacation too or are you setting some goals? Whatcha got for July?

1 MelissaNibbles July 1, 2010 at 7:56 am

I’m moving as well and feel stressed about it. I did well with my June goals and am going to try to do Physique 57 in July, save more money, and some other stuff…I just need to think of what!

Good luck with your goals!

2 Rachel Marlena July 1, 2010 at 9:21 am

This is month is RIDICULOUS for me as far as commitments – We are covering two semester-long classes in (GULP!) eight weeks. Week three this week and I feel like I am barely keeping my head above water. So my gym goals are pretty much the same as they have been the past month or so — 90 minutes of strength a week, walk everyday, and 30 min. elliptical sessions 2-3 times a week.

3 MissyMaintains July 1, 2010 at 10:26 am

My goals are to go to intenSati class 4 times a week, go to a Core Fusion class or do a DVD twice a week, and get at least 8 hours of sleep a night! Very tough when there is always summer outdoor drinking involved!

4 Rachel July 1, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Seriously, margaritas vs. gym…could NOT be more of a dilemma!!

5 Diane July 1, 2010 at 10:38 am

Good luck and congratulations on your move to Ann Arbor. I’m sure you’re going to love it! Moving is crazy, and I’m an expert since that’s what I’ve been doing the last two weeks. A cross-country move with no housing plans is NOT fun. But I’ve managed to sort everything out and I’m really excited for my new life in D.C.

My goals this month are to start a yoga class and practice taking photos with my camera on the weekends. I just bought a camera for work, and I want to become more confident using it. My new hood is super photogenic, so I can’t wait to start!

6 Robyn July 1, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I just started training for a marathon, so my July goals include:
– don’t skip runs (I was really bad about this the last race I trained for – BAD!)
– do two CF segments for each run, alternate as appropriate (I’m running four days a week)
– do more yoga, figure out a good schedule (I have a good DVD that I LOVE, and there are classes at my gym — would like to be doing this at LEAST twice a week)
– read six books
– rock climb two or three times a week
– try two new vegan recipes a week

7 Rachel July 1, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Robyn, so many goals!! That’s awesome you started training for a marathon though…what’s the yoga DVD you love?

8 Robyn July 1, 2010 at 5:44 pm

The yoga DVD I have is “In Pursuit of Happy Hips” and I found it at Lululemon. It’s a totally trippy-hippy (read: awesome and funny) DVD that I bought hoping it would help my tight hips — and it does! :)

I’m really trying to push myself more this month. Most of these goals will end up coupled in some way — since climbing AND yoga are both available at my gym, the real goal there is to go to my gym more often. I have my CF and yoga DVDs, the goal is to use them more. And the most important goal is the not skipping runs, but I’ll blog about that later . . . :)

9 Trinidad Pena July 1, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I totally messed up my June Corefusion Goals. An hour 5 days a week was just too much to maintain. So I’m going smaller is month.

– 40 minutes of hour fusion 3x a week. Plus 30 minutes of cardio 3x a week. I will also attempt some kind of workout on the weekend. Be it riding my bike or just walking around the city.
-2 new recipes
-work on getting traffic to my blog an creating a newsletter for my 5 subscribers, HA!
-Also learn to use my iphone HD video camera and how to use imovie.

10 Dori July 1, 2010 at 9:06 pm

July goals: Core Fusion Cardio 1x week, Core Fusion Yoga 1x week, Core Fusion Open 2x week, Sex 6x week, Run 1-2 times week

11 Rachel July 1, 2010 at 9:32 pm

LOVE sex 6x a week! :) Well done!!