Everything’s Bigger in Texas

by Rachel on July 12, 2010

Well, it’s been two weeks since I got home from datecation, but in long-distance relationship years (similar to dog years), it feels like it’s been months!

Things have been moving rather fast since I got home. There was the big FBO status thing, which resulted in more Likes and comments than anything I’ve ever posted. (Like, more than when I got my agent. You guys are a bunch of softies.) And there have been so many questions. And one of the most frequent of the frequently asked is…“What does your family think?”

Oh, my family. My crazy family. Honestly, the whole bring-a-guy-home thing is going to be a great story in a few weeks when Eric comes here for my birthday datecation…but in general, my family doesn’t care. Like, they care, but they don’t care. Trust me, there’s been no real emotional showing over this. My family is not emotional. I am emotional, in the sense that I emote a lot, I am always feeling my feelings…but believe me when I say that this makes me a freak in my house.

So no, there was no tearful “We just want you to find someone who loves you as much as we do!” No outraged “Rachel, you can’t do that!” or even much “You seem so happy!” From my friends — mostly emoters like I am — yes. We gush. They want deets. From my family…I mean they know it’s going on, but they’d just rather talk about the weather.

However, if you’d like some direct quotes…

Grandma: “His name is Eric…like Prince Eric…who is Rachel’s favorite Disney prince!”

Aunt Kara: “So are you moving to Texas? [Me: Probably at some point.] Oh, that’s cool. Hey so what’s going on with Kim Kardashian?”

My mother: “If he can stand you, he can keep you.”

And there you have it! That’s what my family thinks.

Anyway, datecation number two is finally here and I’m so happy! I really, really need to start packing and find time to set up my brother’s new Wii so I’m going to cut it off here and start my day! The next hour will just be spent starting at six pairs of shoes with narrowed eyes trying to decide which four pairs will make the final cut. Then we’ll get into the battle of setting up the new technology. I’d probably be stressed if I weren’t so excited about where I’ll be tonight!

Oh and PS don’t read into that title — I’m just running out of Texas cliches.

PPS Don’t not read into that title.

OK I’m going to get myself in trouble! Catch you tomorrow!!

1 Emily July 12, 2010 at 8:30 am

I love your gma’s comment! Too funny! Are you still moving to Ann Arbor, or have you already moved? I can’t keep up with you!

2 Manon July 12, 2010 at 8:40 am

“If he can stand you, he can keep you.” My mom has said pretty much the same thing, if not those EXACT words. Have a great trip!!!

3 Rachel Marlena July 12, 2010 at 9:26 am

Aww have so much fun Rach! Glad you made it through Preston’s b-day party intact.
xoxo

4 march July 12, 2010 at 10:41 am

whats fbo?? im pretty good with acronyms but im stumped. have fun!

5 Rachel July 12, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I didn’t know until it happened to me and everyone started using it! Facebook Official!

6 tish July 12, 2010 at 11:30 am

lol i luv the idea of datecations…you clever, clever minx. for some reason dating post POST college is totally weird chill…i thought my family would flip wigs too when meeting my guy last weekend for the first time (mind you i haven’t introduced them to a dude in 9 years) but they’re reactions were similar to your folks’…

gotta be a mixed thing ;)

7 sbg July 12, 2010 at 12:00 pm

yay datecation. have fun! hope you have more good stories!

8 Erin July 12, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Its kinda nice when the family doesn’t make a big deal over it, it relieves you of a lot of stress! And not to mention the boy, when they actually have to meet the folks!

have fun on your datecation! love that name!!!

9 Laudess Valentino- Thompson July 12, 2010 at 12:03 pm

HAHA so— your in love? Preggers? Aunt June had a heart attack did you see Chole and Kourneys new show? adorable.

10 Trinidad Pena July 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm

YAY!!! I can’t wait to read all about it!

11 amanda July 12, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I am glad your family is cool about this. I know it can be rough when they start to make snide remarks or whatever else familys believe they can do. I sometimes get these from my life decisions from relatives but not my mom. Or at least not to my face. lol Anyway, have fun in Texas….I am super jealous!!

12 Ashley July 12, 2010 at 5:14 pm

OMG yay another datecation already! You move even faster than I did! Your datecation posts are my absolute faves.

(Side note: Until my mom met the boy who’s now fiance, she HATED the idea, because it meant I was moving away. You’re lucky!)

13 Smash July 13, 2010 at 8:54 am

” My mother: “If he can stand you, he can keep you.” ” Classic. Sounds like my family, though they are far more nosey than yours.

14 MoneyMaus July 13, 2010 at 7:23 pm

HELL YES to Datecation #2! Now I really need to get myself the “Meeting Your Half-Orange” book… I’m in serious need of a boy in my life, and I don’t care if he lives a few states away! ;) Have a blast.

15 MelissaNibbles July 14, 2010 at 8:03 am

He’s your boyfriend?! Squeeelll! Can’t wait to read about your next datecation. I’m happy for you!
My family is the same way. I’ve been with my bf for almost 8 years and they’ve met him twice. Then again, I avoid my family like the plague.