Lesson #13: How to Make a Cake Erupt

by Rachel on July 13, 2010

It’s fitting that today’s lesson is #13 because it’s 7/13 — my little brother’s birthday!

Preston’s family party was on Sunday and he requested a tacky luau theme (awesome). My mom, creator of amazing costumes, cakes, and kids’ beds, went all-out with the volcano cake.

The cake was pretty fantastic! The best part was the chocolate rocks, which were edible. They tasted like M & Ms and were a huge hit.

And of course, she wanted to make the whole thing actually work. So if you ever want to set a dessert on fire for effect (and once you see how easy it is, I’m pretty sure you will, here’s how to do it).

My favorite part is that she got the method for setting it on fire from my grandma’s 1960s Betty Crocker cookbook — one more reason I love vintage cookbooks. Housewives loved doing crazy shit like that back in the day and you can get great ideas.

As for myself, I was in no state to be dealing with open flames at this point in the party. By 9 AM on Sunday, my mom and grandma were in typical holiday/party preparation mode and I decided that the extra calories were worth the peace of mind and ability to handle them, plus the other cast of characters on their way…so I made a pitcher of rather stiff cocktails.

Sweet tea vodka, lemonade, and Sprite…so good!

Meijer didn’t have Firefly, so I went with Seagrams this time around, as it has a higher proof than Burnett’s.

The downside was that the drinks plus all the volcano Funfetti I consumed meant that by 7 PM I was experiencing a hangover/sugar coma that left me sort of unable to function. Day drinking is so great…until it isn’t anymore.

Anyway, my birthday is next month and I want to have a 1985 party to celebrate the year I was born…and I want an amazing (maybe even flaming) cake too! Any suggestions I can give my mother, the wannabe cake boss? We were thinking a Madonna bustier using the same mold she used for the volcano, but I’d love to hear more ’85 themed ideas if you have them! Please share!

1 Alli July 13, 2010 at 7:37 am

As a fellow 1985 baby, I really want to have a Brat Pack party at some point – St. Elmo’s Fire and Breakfast Club both came out that year. (I also just finished reading a book about the Brat Pack, so I’ve been rewatching all of the movies and have them on my mind…)

Also, Back to the Future! DeLorean cake!

2 Rachel Marlena July 13, 2010 at 9:00 am

LMAO to Preston trying to blow out the volcano. Did HE call it tacky luau or was that all you? Just checked it out and I think you have a number of potential themes based on things that happened in August of 1985 — Japan chose their first astronauts, the “night stalker” serial killer was arrested in LA, AAANNNNDDD there were a number of large plane crashes– one even took place in TEXAS! yaaaayyy for tacky party themes. ;P

3 Holly July 13, 2010 at 9:27 am

Holy crap. Your mom OWNS at Halloween costumes. And you’re not bad yourself!

4 Robyn July 13, 2010 at 11:50 am

I won a costume contest when I was 7 or 8 . . . My mom dressed me as a box of popcorn. She took a big box, cut arm holes and one for my head, and painted it white. She put red tape stripes down it. Then she popped about three bags of popcorn and hot glued it all over the top so it was piling all around me. She also bought a painter’s cap from Home Depot and covered that with popped popcorn.

I’ll find a picture to scan . . . it really was awesome. :)

5 Trinidad Pena July 13, 2010 at 2:21 pm

You can make a pac man cake… Or a rubix cube!

6 Jess- The Semi Abnormal Gal July 13, 2010 at 7:49 pm

I vote for the Madonna Boobs personally. So, what did you use to “turn off” the volcano? Or did you just let Preston go at it until he officially started hyperventilating? To cute!

7 MelissaNibbles July 14, 2010 at 7:50 am

That cake is the balls!
I vote for an ATARI cake.

8 Laura Georgina July 14, 2010 at 11:14 am

I so very want a pyro cake! Preston is a lucky, lucky little boy.

How about a Jem or She-Ra party? Can’t go wrong with superheroes and cartoon rockstars that dress in crazy ways…

9 shelby @ eatdrinkrun July 14, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Tacky luau theme? That is simply awesome. I’m kind of embarrassed that a 13-year-old boy beat me to it. :)