Datecation 2.0: Crying While Eating

by Rachel on July 20, 2010

Oh, hey!

Yes, I’m still here.

I wasn’t actually supposed to be here. Life’s funny, you know. One minute you’re laying in your boyfriend’s bed, crying while eating copious amounts of not-even-trying-to-be-healthy salad bathed in Ranch dressing and tearing into hunks of buttered bread whilst watching Harry Potter 3 because he’s at work with a deadline and you’re leaving the next morning…and the next minute you’re thinking, “Oh, fuck, that was a waste of emotional calories” as the guy at Orbitz confirms your new flight.

But hey, things happen and good opportunities come up. It would be foolish not to take them.

My advice: don’t begin crying and eating your feelings until you’re actually sure you’re getting on the plane.

Anyway! Now that I’m here for another week, it’s time for fulfilling more BHN.

Before I left for Houston, my blog friend Rachel Marlena sent me this seasoning for a little taste of her home state, Louisiana.

I was so excited to use it, I brought it with me all the way to Texas.

(Annnnnndddd….this is why I can’t pack light.)

She said it was good on “literally everything,” but for whatever reason, I felt like it would be best on fish. So I decided to make a repeat of my crispy fish sandwiches, but before I dipped the fish in the panko, I seasoned it generously with the Creole seasoning. Actually, I take that back. First, I started boozing.

Then I put on some green beans on the stove top in butter and ripped open a bag of Lays all-natural thick-cut potato chips and cooked the fish. And kept on boozing. (Hey, I was just celebrating the fact that I wasn’t crying!)

And then it was dinnertime!

Weeping because it’s delicious is a different type of crying while eating, one that is totally socially acceptable.

1 Margot July 20, 2010 at 8:42 am

All I ever heard about Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat was that I should try it because it tasted like Fruity Pebbles. When I did, I definitely tasted it! Can you taste? Or I was just influenced by hearing that so much before I tried it?

2 Rachel July 20, 2010 at 8:43 am

So funny…Eric said the same thing and yes, I can taste it. At first I couldn’t but then it totally hit me!!

3 Rachel Marlena July 20, 2010 at 8:52 am

Did you like the Tony’s?!? You should have put some on the green beans as well – soooo good.

4 Rachel July 20, 2010 at 8:57 am

Yes!! It gave such a kick to the fish, it was just perfect!!

5 Clarice July 20, 2010 at 8:56 am

I love Tony’s on corn on the cob; such a great combo with the sweet corn.

6 Rachael July 20, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I love love love that Tony’s Creole seasoning. We’ve been putting it on EVERYTHING for years now. Greenbeans and corn and potatoes. Put it in chicken breasts before you grill, no BBQ sauce necessary!

7 Marg July 20, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I’m enjoying your Houston posts – I’ve been living here a year and still trying to find my way around. I moved here from LA and Tony’s is my staple along with Tabasco sauce. I put them on almost everything! Try it on eggs, so good.

Have you been to Spec’s in Midtown? I heart that place, like the Walmart of booze.

8 Rachel July 20, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Yes, I have been to Spec’s twice!! I think if I were to move down here it would be my home away from home!

I def need to try Tony’s on eggs, I keep hearing that, and I love eggs!

9 Trinidad Pena July 20, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Yay for more Datecation! It must really be going well! I’m so excited for you!

10 Jess-The Semi Abnormal Gal July 20, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I adore Tony’s! My parents got me hooked on it as soon as I started eating solid foods! ha.

Also, great beer choice. Check out their “Shandy” for another great summer brew! It’s 1/2 lemonade, so it’s great for that afternoon buzz without being sleepy for the rest of the day.

11 Rachel July 20, 2010 at 9:34 pm

We tried the Shandy on Saturday by the pool! I liked the lemonade flavor a lot!!

12 mysskay July 29, 2010 at 7:52 pm

I just brought some Tony’s like two weeks ago. I’ve been ODing on panko since I read your post earlier this summer….I’ll have to try it on more than after reading everyone’s comments… that sandwich looks so good!

by the way, what’s the commentluv button underneath the submit a post button?