Speaking of…

by Rachel on July 20, 2010

crying while eating, there’s also the idea of crying when exercising, via this week’s PostSecret.

I totally should have gone that route! But no, of course I get lazy when I’m emo.

I’ve cried while running just once, on my 10-miler in Central Park last fall. At least, I think I was crying while running. When it’s wet outside and you’re hurting physically and breathing hard from the run, who is to really know? And I think that’s the good part about it. When crying and eating, you know what you’re doing and you can’t possibly feel good about it.

Question of the day: have you ever cried while exercising? Any tearful gym moments to report?? I hope you do — in the “funny cause it’s SO sad to get snot on the elliptical” kinda way.

Please share!!

1 Katie July 20, 2010 at 6:29 pm

I definitely cried during my 18 mile marathon training run. Not for long though, because it’s hard to run and cry and breath. And there was one time when I was a mess in college and started crying on the stair stepper when I saw my recently-exed-boyfriend. I put on my big huge sunglasses. In the gym… While still stair-stepping. What were the decisions I was making??

2 Rachel July 20, 2010 at 6:32 pm

HA that is a great story about the Stairstepper. I cried after my last 18 mile training run. Couldn’t breathe, just sobbed on the track for a little while. Didn’t cry after the actual marathon though!!

3 Rachel Marlena July 20, 2010 at 7:26 pm

LOL all of my crying-while-exercising stories are my own damn fault. I always read on the elliptical or stairmaster and there have plenty of occasions where I have started bawling because of a sappy book. in the middle of the gym. with weights to do next. Sweeettt.

4 Dori July 20, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I have cried during Core Fusion. As soon as I finish crying, I just want to go back for more. Core Fusion is like an abusive boyfriend.

5 Eunice July 20, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Ugh.. I cried while weight training legs one time. It was more PMS-y than actual pain, but there I was crying under the Smith machine, surrounded by a bunch of men. And nobody came to see what was wrong, now that I think about it. Rude!

6 Meredith @ An Epic Change July 20, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I have definitely cried on the elliptical! I was working out in my college gym just a couple months since my dad passed away and it was his birthday and out of nowhere I just burst into tears. Since it was my college gym, one of my professors happened to be walking past at that very moment and gave me a really weird look! I just smiled and put my head down, and he eventually walked away! It is funny looking back on it now, I must have looked insane!

7 amanda July 20, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I was close to tear when I passed my run time for my PT test in Army BASIC training for the very first time ever. I ran 2 miles in 17:07!

8 Carla Aldaco July 20, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Oh yes, I’ve for sure cried while running more times then i’d like to admit :\
Most recently though, last summer, I was going through a HORRIBLE break up and just about every song that came on my ipod made me cry and it kinda fuled my runs there for awhile.

9 Hayley July 20, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I recently cried while exercising– what great timing!
Just a few days ago I was in yoga and struggggling. I was holding some kind of painful pose, and I cried because I was mad at my instructor and didn’t want to do what she was telling me to do. It was definitely a tantrum, like, 2 year old style.

10 Alicia at Poise in Parma July 20, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I always end up bawling during hip openers during my hot yoga classes. But that’s what those hip openers are good for: getting out all the emotions you are holding inside. Or maybe it’s because frog pose is just unhuman.

11 Danica July 21, 2010 at 2:44 am

I have cried many times while working out, dosen’t help I am an emotional person. :) Couple of time come to mind. One time was when I was really frustrated with training for my first 1/2 Marathon, because I had a couple of big set backs and injuries and I just wanted to train without anymore problems. The second time was when I actually finished the half marathon, knowing that I had trained through blood,sweat, and tear,s all my emotions took over at the finish.

12 Anna July 21, 2010 at 8:12 am

I cried the first time I tried to do a Billy’s Bootcamp workout video. I was horribly out of shape and my Dad adjusted the bands (which, awesomely, attach to your feet) so the resistance was just WILD. It’s pretty hard to cry while looking at Billy Blanks, and now I just laugh about it.

13 Stephanie July 21, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I have two crying stories: one sad and one happy. The sad one came the morning after the Haiti earthquake and I was on one of the new spinning bikes at the gym that has a tvmounted on it, and early at 5am. I’m a news junkie (like HOURS of NPR, the daily beast, etc everyday) and they were showing the first images of the quake victims and no one else seemed to notice, but I felt ridiculous crying my eyes out and not wanting to break cadence on that interval!

The second was at the end of my first half marathon. When my boyfriend dropped me off at the shuttle going to the start line, it was windy and cold and he was groggy, but he kissed me and said “don’t stop!” That phrase became my mantra through three miles of awful hills and kept me going to the end. By the time I finished it was sunny and warm and beautiful and when I saw him I was so excited/proud/relieved/overcome with endorphins that I yelled “I DIDN’T STOP!” and promptly burst into tears. I’m tearing up just thinking about how wonderful it all felt!

14 Stacy (Little Blue Hen) July 21, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Crying while swimming is the best. No one else knows, and sometimes you don’t even know when you’ve stopped.

15 Trinidad July 22, 2010 at 9:14 am

I’ve cried while exercising but only because I dropped a weight my toe. Ouch!