Don’t Mess With…Everything I’ve Ever Wanted

by Rachel on August 2, 2010

Over the past year, I’ve worked really hard at so many things: social media, freelance writing, sales and marketing, working as a virtual assistant…the list goes on. It’s really hard to answer when people ask, “What do you do?” What don’t I do? I’m a linchpin; tell me what you want and I can probably do it!

And doing my things passionately and wholeheartedly for a year has really paid off. Two weeks ago, I accepted what is basically my dream job. I’ll be doing the marketing and social media for a photographer. For now, I’m keeping more identifying details off my blog, both because her brand deserves to be separate from my brand, and also because I don’t want to get stalked at work. But suffice to say, her work is gorgeous and she’s just great. My first interview lasted about 90 minutes and it was just a total gush-fest. I think job interviewing is a lot like dating, and like an awesome first date, this was one of those DIK moments where I left planning the rest of my life and wondering how soon I could see her again.

What’s also so exciting is that I’m working in an office again! While I love working for myself, I’ve also missed working as part of a team, with other people who share a similar vision. So now I get to work in a ridiculously gorgeous and happy setting with all types of friendly and interesting people and represent a brand other than my own — which I seriously love. I started last week and I must say, I’m just so genuinely excited to go to work each day! From setting up her blog to working with her clients, I’m basically doing a little bit of everything. (Because again, what don’t I do?)

And I’m sure by now you’ve figured out that the position is in Houston.

So now so am I!

I’m taking a pretty deep breath this morning, you guys. This has truly been the craziest two weeks of my life…ever. When I started looking for a job here (and I don’t think I even need to explain my thought process on deciding to do that — it was the biggest and yet easiest life decision I’ve ever made), I felt like the most hireable person…and the least. How could I express myself in a cover letter and a resume? How could I get total strangers to understand that I’m the girl they’ve always wanted? And beyond that, how could I not crack under the pressure of a time constraint and limited funds that made it feel like it was never going to work out? I don’t know how I stayed so positive that I could do it…I just went for it, because it was all I could think to do in this situation. I knew it was what needed to happen and I knew it could and would (which doesn’t mean I didn’t have a few days when I was just absolutely scared shitless — I did).

One thing that really got me through was something Amy writes about in Meeting Your Half-Orange: “It’s not your job to figure out the how. It’s just your job to want it.” I think this is true no matter what it is you want. If you want it badly enough, don’t worry about how it can happen. Just want it — the universe takes care of the how. If I had worried about how it would all happen and gotten caught up on apartments and moving vans and the job market and such, I would have been too overwhelmed to get through my interviews. So all I put all that energy into wanting it harder than anything I’ve wanted in a long time.

I’m counting this as a victory for Team Vision Boards and Team Using Social Media to Get a Job in Social Media and Team Meeting Your Half-Orange and Team My Horoscope Said So. B-E aggressive!

I wish I could say the craziness all ended when I got the job, but it only picked up! At that point, I had an even shorter amount of time to get an apartment…and then work out the logistics of my little 1300 mile move. Again…the how. Wow. I’m still wondering how, actually.

Well, okay, here is how: I’m working today and tomorrow. Tomorrow evening, I’m off on my last datecation — Eric’s datecation in Michigan! (The timing of all this honestly couldn’t have been better.) We’re flying back to hang out with my family, pack up my stuff, and attend my a birthday-now-going-away party. And then on Saturday, we’re loading up Judy with as much of my stuff as she can carry and making the two-day road trip back down to Texas. On Sunday, I’m moving into a room in a too-gorgeous-for-words-or-the-price townhouse. (Seriously, Eric told me if I actually got such an incredible apartment after getting the most perfect job, it was time to go buy lottery tickets, because I was officially the Luckiest Girl Ever. I responded with several variations of “Psshhhhhhaaaa” and told him to stop being such a pessimist. The next morning, after things went through, I just sent him an e-mail saying it was time to go for the mega million jackpot.)

And I’m not trying to be all, “My life is so awesome;” I just want you to understand that…this is the “getting it” I always write about. This week, the past few weeks…this is getting it. I’m getting everything I asked for and I want you to see that you can too. But you can’t get anything without first getting it, if that makes sense.

Don’t ever settle. Everything you’ve ever wanted is within reach. Everything. Seriously…everything. So get it.

1 Heather @ Side of Sneakers August 2, 2010 at 8:37 am

Congrats girl, how awesome!! It’s always great to see someone KNOW what they want and go for it no-holds-barred. Woohoo!!

2 Madison August 2, 2010 at 8:39 am

I am so happy for you! So far I’ve only seen glimpses of it, but I’m on my own way to that point! Keep it up, girl!

3 Lauren Elizabeth August 2, 2010 at 8:40 am

Congrats… You deserve it!

4 Emily August 2, 2010 at 8:42 am

Nice! This is so inspiring! The job/optimism/life market is looking pretty dark for a lot of us right now, but your story definitely helps. Good luck with everything!

5 shelby @ eatdrinkrun August 2, 2010 at 8:47 am

Reading this post made me feel warm and fuzzy. :) So happy for you – you deserve it! Good luck with the move!

6 Smash August 2, 2010 at 8:48 am

CRAZY EXCITED for you, Rachel!!! Congrats on the new gig and the big move. Texas is wonderful and I think you’ll adjust easily. Glad to see you’re giving life all you can give it and it gives you such wonderful things in return. XO

7 Keri @ Iron Mountain Movement August 2, 2010 at 8:56 am

Congratulations Rachel! Knock em dead!

8 Gracie August 2, 2010 at 9:02 am

This post sincerely made me so, SO happy!

I’m currently in the process of “getting it,” so to see someone like you succeed in what is pretty much your dream LIFE is so encouraging and motivating. What particularly stuck out to me was: “I felt like the most hireable person…and the least.” You literally took the words right out of my mouth. So to see that you had those same insecurities yet still pressed forward and “won” in the end is….well, I needed that.

Major congrats, Rachel. I’m so happy for you! Can’t wait to see what the future holds.

p.s. I’m pretty much going to live by: “It’s not your job to figure out the how. It’s just your job to want it” until I *get it*…!

9 FoodCents August 2, 2010 at 9:06 am

Ha, I knew something was “up”, my lil’ hooker. This is exciting and I am super stoked for you. Life sometimes hands us the best things, out of the blue & completely different than what we might have planned. Enjoy it and embrace it.

Oh a selfish note, you are now closer to me & this increases the chances of “BeerFest”, which I could not support more.

Give it hell !!!

10 Anastasia August 2, 2010 at 9:06 am

Congratulations! How amazing :] Being positive can work wonders & you definitely deserve all the great things that are happening!

11 Eunice August 2, 2010 at 9:07 am

So, so happy for you Rachel! I know you work hard with this blog and all your other projects so this is well deserved. I’ve been lacking in motivation (still jobless!) but you just gave me the kick I needed to keep “getting it”. Thanks for being an inspiration and I can’t wait to hear more about your new adventures :)

12 Stephanie August 2, 2010 at 9:10 am

Wow I’m so incredibly happy for you! You totally deserve this! Way to get it girl!

13 Lexie August 2, 2010 at 9:12 am

Ahhhhh congratulations! I love when things just start “clicking” in life.

14 Kristen August 2, 2010 at 9:16 am

Yeahhh! So excited for you! This is your it’s-all-happening moment and you totally deserve it!

15 skinny latte August 2, 2010 at 9:16 am

Rach, this is seriously one of the best posts ever, and has put a huge smile on my face. You deserve all the success that has come your way, I know you’re going to ace it! Thank you for spreading such a positive message out into the world – especially today, when I really needed to hear it. xx

16 MelissaNibbles August 2, 2010 at 9:19 am

You deserve everything girl! I think it’s a mix of wanting something so bad and working for it because you want it THAT BAD. Congrats and good luck with the move!

17 Katie August 2, 2010 at 9:28 am

Amazing… You worked so hard, totally got what was coming to you! How fun is your life right now?!! I’ve been stressed about moving and job hunting but this was just so positive it pumped me up!

18 Emily August 2, 2010 at 10:03 am

This post was one of the best I have ever read. I am so happy for you! Good Luck with the move and the new job! Congrats!

19 Kaleigh August 2, 2010 at 10:06 am

Congrats!!! I soooo needed to read this today. I’m in the midst of hopefully changing jobs from the job I took to pay the rent, to my dream job. I’m getting so caught up in the “how” – how to leave the first one with grace, how to tell my boss, how to leave my clients feeling support and not abandoned…. Thanks for the reminder that I just need to want it and the how will work itself out.

20 Alicia at Poise in Parma August 2, 2010 at 10:06 am

You are a rockstar, my dear! Congrats everything – you truly deserve it for working your butt off!

…and your last line of this post (“Don’t ever settle…”) is my new mantra. Thanks for the inspiration!

21 Kaytee August 2, 2010 at 10:09 am

OH MY GOD CONGRATS!! & I know you haven’t exactly invited me yet or anything, but I AM TOTALLY roadtripping to see you. You’re going to love it here!!

22 Marg August 2, 2010 at 10:36 am

Congrats on the move to Houston and cool job!!! I’ve lived here a year and really grown to love it.

23 Cate August 2, 2010 at 10:51 am

How exciting! Congrats! It sounds like you have had a wonderful and busy couple of weeks. The job and apartment sound awesome.
Your good news has given me some hope in my job search. Good luck with the move and new job! :)

24 Teresa August 2, 2010 at 10:55 am

Congratulations! I’m so happy for you. Now please tell me how you moved cross country … Because i have to do it in two weeks and I’m freaking out!

25 Summer August 2, 2010 at 11:45 am

Oh, wow—that’s so so awesome Rachel! I’m so glad you’re getting everything you want—and truly deserve. Good luck with the move!

26 Suzanne August 2, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I am so happy for you Rachel! You are so motivated and truly an inspiration. I am really excited to see what the future holds for you in Houston!! Congrats!

27 Alison August 2, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Congratulations girlfriend! I’m trying to do many of the same things you are, and lately I’ve been feeling a bit defeated. Thanks for being so inspiring!

28 Hayley August 2, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I. Love. You. I seriously teared up when I got to the end of this post. I think I’m PMSing. But I AM going to go get it!

29 Rachel August 2, 2010 at 12:49 pm

HA Hayley — love it, thanks!! :)

30 Bess August 2, 2010 at 1:11 pm

You already know how I feel about this but even better than having the courage to really tap into yourself and go after what you want, is sharing your story and inspiring others :)

And of course I couldn’t be more happy to have you closer to Cali!!!!

31 The Dating Optimist August 2, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Holy happy for you, Rachel! I am so in awe of your spirit and your attitude and wish you such happiness in your new town, new job and with your new love. You’re such a perfect example of how determination, positivity and wanting the best for yourself can get you all you ever dreamed of! Can’t wait to hear more about your half-orange in the future…
—Amy

32 Kate August 2, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Totally made my day reading this, when I woke up this morning I reminded myself of that quote from meeting your half orange, thanks for being so inspirational!

33 mysskay August 2, 2010 at 1:41 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! this is the best inspirational/motivational/life life to the fullest post ever! I’m going to share it with everyone!

thanks for sharing :o)

34 Joslyn August 2, 2010 at 1:42 pm

AMAZING!!!!!! That’s all, just AMAZING!!! Such an inspiration, well done hon!

35 Paul McConaughy (@minutrition) August 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I’ll leave it for “the kids” to say congratulations. I want to say how proud I am of you! I know we’re ONLY Twitter friends but you’ve been one of the most amazing parts of this Twitter experience for me so far. I’ve been in awe of you in so many ways and now I am so thrilled for you.

Thanks, Rachel, for proving that people do get what they deserve….and you deserve the best!

Paul

36 chandra August 2, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Awe, Rachel!!! I’m SO SO happy for you! You definitely deserve all these amazing events and I’m so glad it is all working out for you. You are an inspiration. I really need to focus more on what I want and start going for it… and getting it! Ah! So happy for you, congrats! I will do a tequila shot in your honor this weekend. :)

37 Kendra August 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm

So so so so so awesome! Normally when I read these types of posts I feel totally jealous. Now, though, I just feel inspired. I think that I’m right about at that “go for it” point with several things right now. So much of that is because of your blog.

38 Jaclyn August 2, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Your gettin’ makes me feel enthusiastic about the eventual getting that I’ll have. Congratulations, lady!

39 Kristie August 2, 2010 at 5:02 pm

This is one of the greatest, most exciting, most inspiring things I’ve heard! You go girl! That is so incredible, all of it. It sure makes me feel just a little bit more optimistic about life in general. Aggressiveness isn’t exactly my strong point but clearly the payoff is well worth the effort. Huge huge congratsx10!

40 Simone @ HoneeBee Gifts August 2, 2010 at 8:45 pm

This is such great news…thank you for sharing. I did not see your post as bragging but instead inspiring. Your last line of your post is now my FB status update, I’ve given you credit of course. Just a simple update to share with others…never settle. go get it!

41 Carla in Sydney August 2, 2010 at 9:20 pm

CONGRATS! This is great news….I am always so impressed by people that have the drive to follow their dreams. OK now – my dream is to live in the US….so what I need from you is an American man to marry to secure my visa…..age, creed, religion is not important. (I am only joking here of course….well sort of!) ;-)

Good luck with your move and your final datecation!

42 ashleigh August 2, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Congrats! What an inspiring story. Way to go after your dreams!! I can’t wait to hear what else is to come!

43 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) August 2, 2010 at 10:23 pm

AWESOME!! Congrats! This post makes me really really happy. I am totally in the “get it” mode right now. I can see great things ahead, but it’s easy to get discouraged along the journey. This just totally inspired and reenergized me!!

44 Crystal August 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I took a mini blogging break and I must say this is a happy entry to come back to! Congrats! I hope this job continues to make you happy. :)

45 Ruby August 2, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Woohoo! Congrats Rachel! You totally deserve it. Can’t wait to hear about your Texan adventures. It’s so true that sometimes you’ve just got to let things fall into place. Gotta love it :D

46 sbg August 2, 2010 at 11:45 pm

you are so lucky! congrats!

47 Manon August 3, 2010 at 9:36 am

So, so, soooooooooo incredibly happy for you!!! Brings me back to the day I packed up my car and headed for Texas….best thing I ever did! Luckily Judy should be able to hold a lot more than a 1990 Plymouth Laser did. :) Now I have another reason to get my ass back down to TX for a visit…..I’ll have to road trip it to Houston next time I’m in Austin for a celebratory tequila shot!

48 Kat August 3, 2010 at 12:43 pm

You are one of the most go-gettingest people I know, and I’m so happy all your hard work is paying off! Congrats girl, you deserve it!

49 Teri [a foodie stays fit] August 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I’m SO happy for you!!

50 MissyMaintains August 3, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Ahh getting all caught up on my blog reading!! So happy to come back and read this!! Amazing news!! Congrats!!!!

51 sarah @ syrupandhoney August 3, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Congratulations! And, thank you for your inspiration. Even though I’ve never met you, you truly do motivate me to go after exactly what I want. From my perspective, you thoroughly deserve all the great things coming your way.

52 Dori August 3, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I can’t even begin to express how happy I am for you! I love watching your life come together. Can’t wait to see what happens next!