Excess Baggage

by Rachel on August 4, 2010

Yesterday, I realized that there was one thing about datecation I was beyond willing to give up: the struggage.

struggage (n.): the travel plight of single women everywhere, it is a combination of overpacked luggage (“But I need black and brown boots!”) and lack of upper body strength (“But I just want to do cardio!”). Traveling alone to visit a fabulous friend in a fabulous locale, the single girl has visions of herself looking like Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly as she heads to the airport…but in reality, looks like a grunting hot mess as she heaves and hoists her struggage down her I-can-only-afford-a-walk-up apartment stairs and into her cab, pausing every few steps to remove her oversized sunglasses and wipe her brow with her attempting-to-be-chic-while-traveling pashmina.

As a frequent traveler and single girl, I have been cursed with struggage for years. I’ve had some nightmare struggage too; when I left NYC last year, I overpacked my suitcase so badly that the broke off handle as I left my apartment. You don’t even know struggage till you’ve traveled with a 75 pound suitcase that has no handle. (And you don’t even know sadness until you’ve racked up $300 in baggage fees/a new suitcase for your roommate all because you wanted to avoid the $25 it costs to check a second bag.)

But last night was the first time I’ve ever traveled with a guy who can carry my bags and I must say, there is nothing about being single I am happier to see go.

However, I can’t say that yesterday wasn’t a little struggs still. We almost missed both our flights and Texas to Detroit (plus an hour and fifteen minute car ride to my house) is just a seriously long, tiring day of traveling! It felt great to go to bed last night, but it does not feel so great to be up this morning, knowing I have more to do in the next two days than I can even stand thinking about. (On that note, don’t forget about my Webinar tonight!) The struggage is turning into several boxes and bins worth of struggage and choosing what to bring and then fitting it in my car is going to be worse than carrying a suitcase down a flight of stairs alone.

And also — last night I got home after midnight and Preston woke up so I went in to say hi. I asked him if he missed me and he sat straight up and said, “I really think you and Eric are going to set up my Wii.” Yes, even though it’s been three weeks since his birthday, apparently his damn Wii still isn’t set up. Ending annoying days of packing playing Wii was going to be the best part of coming home, but now I can’t do that till I set it up.

The weather is gorgeous and it’s so nice to be home; I’m ready to say, “F it,” pack the basic essentials, skip organizing anything, and just spend then next two days playing outside and celebrating my birthday. As long as I head back with my Magic Bullet, I’m kinda over the rest of my belongings.

Apparently, getting everything you’ve ever wanted brings with it a whole new set of problems. It’s just that now, a bitch ain’t one.

1 Laura Georgina August 4, 2010 at 9:10 am

OMG, I just chortled my breakfast! Struggage IS the story of my life. The flight I missed last month was made a million times worse by having had to pay overage fees AND still leave all kinds of things behind. And wouldn’t you know, single traveling girls with one small bag get all the help from the boys at airports, but single travelling girls with a cart full of suitcases that keep toppling over, the deer caught in headlights look, and sweatmarks do NOT get that assist.

You won’t miss a box of stuff from the closet, but you WILL miss Preston and the family and friends and Wii, so get out there and have a blast!

2 Julia August 4, 2010 at 9:15 am

I know struggage far too well. Tomorrow I’ll be dealing with two 50lb suitcases as I make a trans-Atlantic journey with enough clothes to get me through a year of New York weather. Wish me luck!

3 Rachel Marlena August 4, 2010 at 9:19 am

LOL I did a post not too long ago on how to be a lightweight packer and I’m happy to say I have not experienced struggage in the past year. BUT I broke not one but two suitcase handles on my trip abroad and my suite in Oxford was (wait for it) — FOUR flights up.

I’m going to have to agree with Laura here and say bring the essentials then say f it and spend the rest of the time having a blast. You can always have your mom mail you packages of essentials you did not REALIZE were essentials.
xoxo

4 Keri @ Iron Mountain Movement August 4, 2010 at 10:11 am

Sounds like you already have everything that you need to start your new life..but I would still take black and brown boots!

5 Kaytee August 4, 2010 at 10:22 am

What an appropriate time for this post. I’m leaving for Georgia in… an hour? I somehow managed to fit five days worth of “essentials” into a carryon & my purse. However, that bitch is heavy & I still look like a grunting hot mess. SEXY.

6 Ashley August 4, 2010 at 11:27 am

Yeah … when I moved from Pennsylvania to Florida I basically said “eff it” and threw whatever would fit into my car. We towed it behind my parents’ SUV, so it became a giant moving box. You, however, have Judy, which is perhaps the best moving vehicle ever

7 Kendra August 4, 2010 at 11:33 am

Okay, so not only have I broken a handle while traveling but I also busted the wheel of my suitcase… twice. I’m pretty much the master of getting shit to fit anywhere. I am not the master, though, of actually lugging said shit around.

When I’m in California next week I’m going to be getting a bunch of stuff left behind from college. You’d be amazed what I was able to fit and find necessary in my dorm.

8 Trinidad Pena August 4, 2010 at 11:38 am

I am the queen of struggage! I’ve UPSed shoes to my hotel avoid the extra bag fee. AND yes, it was for a long weekend but you need: beach shoes, brunch shoes, going out shoes, and um… you need a lot of shoes!

9 sari August 4, 2010 at 12:08 pm

i totally get your traveling struggage (like that word, btw!)

i always pay to check my bag just so i don’t have to deal with putting it up on the plane!!

10 Suzanne August 4, 2010 at 7:15 pm

This post is my life these days. I have been spending the weekend at my boyfriend’s apartment, which I walk to after work on Friday.. meaning I walk around with my purse, my overnight bag, and a lunch bag in the morning on Friday. It’s so awful and embarrassing because I always bring sooo much junk for the weekend.
ANd your brother sounds so cute! Wii is super fun… my boyfriend got me one for Christmas and it’s great (… but now thinking that I got one for Christmas and your little bro got one for his birthday makes me raise my eyebrows at myself/my boyfriend)