Pure Michigan

by Rachel on August 6, 2010

There really is nothing like Michigan in the summer. (Except maybe Michigan in October, which I’m already mourning.) Yesterday I finished my packing and errands as fast as I could so I could enjoy my penultimate day of Pure Michigan.

For my Pure Michigan night, I wanted to eat outside, drink beer, play softball (real baseball, not Wii baseball, much to Preston’s disappointment), and eat s’mores.

For dinner, it was grill time again — this time it was ribs, sweet potatoes, broccoli, biscuits, and beer.

After drinking my fair share of Leinenkugel, I rounded up the men (Preston and Eric) for sporting time.

Preston needed a break from that Wii so we made him work.

And I needed to act like a serious athlete for a little while…

rachel and eric

I may not look very athletic, but I’ve played softball since I was eight years old and I’m pretty damn good — even out of practice, I was still catching pop-ups with my a beer in hand. For more batting practice, we headed to the batting cages, and then just lay in the hammock for a little while. Deer wandered into the yard and an owl perched in a tree and the sun was going down. I’m so glad I got to bring Eric here for a few days of this. Despite it all being so nice and relaxing, we finally dragged ourselves out of the hammock to make s’mores.

Today I’m up and at it! On the agenda: eyebrow wax, renewing my driver’s license, packing my books, and then getting ready for my party tonight! I need to make a playlist and marvel as my mom gets cake boss.

I think it’s going to be a pretty good day. Catch you later!

1 Dori August 6, 2010 at 8:20 am

Love the pics of you and Eric, you look so cute and sporty together! I didn’t know you played softball. Opposite of me, I was never athletic at all. Have a great last day in Michigan with your family and Eric!

2 ashleigh August 6, 2010 at 8:25 am

Sounds like the perfect day!! You two look very cute together and I love the softball outfit!

3 Laura Georgina August 6, 2010 at 8:38 am

OMG, love this post! Love your day and love the photos (and the very snazzy effects)! Have a great day and a great party tonight and get your Michigan beer on!

4 Sophie @ yumventures August 6, 2010 at 8:38 am

It is totally the socks that make you 100% an athlete. And I want them!

5 Rachel Marlena August 6, 2010 at 9:08 am

Saw these on FB yesterday and I LOVE the beer in one hand, softball mitt in the other — too funny! So glad you are having a blast and getting to share such a big part of your past with Eric.
xoxo

6 Bonnie B August 6, 2010 at 9:17 am

My best wishes on this newest leg of your journey. And thank you for inviting us in to share the adventure. Drive safe. Have fun. Send news.

7 MissyMaintains August 6, 2010 at 10:06 am

Such cute pictures of you and Eric! Of course I love that you’re holding a beer while playing sports. Exactly what I would do!

8 Trinidad Pena August 6, 2010 at 10:08 am

I love these pics! I wish I was more athletic! I could catch a ball if my life depended on it. I can’t wait to hear about your new adventures!

9 christine August 6, 2010 at 11:06 am

your softball outfit is so cute! I officially want matching shirts for all my knee socks now!

do you play softball in a rec league or? I used to play when I was younger and I’d like to get back to it someday when my injuries (see: shoulder of death) are healed.

I’m about half-way finished with Meeting Your Half-Orange and I love it so far. the funny thing is I think it’s made me realise the reason I’m not in a relationship: I’m not ready to be in one! doh. but now I’ll know what to do when I am :)

10 Hayley August 6, 2010 at 12:52 pm

The only sport I’m decent at is volleyball. Bats and gloves stress me out- so many props. Enjoy pure Michigan!

11 Ashley August 6, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Every time you post something of Preston, his facial expressions crack me up. And OMG you guys are too cute together!!

12 Kendra August 6, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Those pictures are so cute. I love the one where you’re going for catching the ball and Eric is leaping away from it.