Friday Foodgasm: Cheese Stuffed Figs

by Rachel on August 20, 2010

I love healthy food, but only when it’s real. I’ll take bacon wrapped cantaloupe for a snack over a granola bar any day. So I’m really excited about this new healthy recipe that fits the requirements!

When I went to Central Market last weekend, they were really promoting figs. I’ve never had fresh figs, only dried. The sign said that they tasted good with goat cheese. I had just bought raw goat’s blue cheese at the farmers market and putting it in figs seemed as good a way to eat it as any!

It was pretty simple. I just cut the figs in half, stuffed a cube of the cheese in, and drizzled them with honey.

Oh yes.

I made these as part of “The Feast.” Eric and I hadn’t had one yet, so I was excited to introduce him to the wonderful tradition of eating light but delicious finger foods for dinner.

I’ve noticed that the heat has really affected my appetite. I’m still hungry, but mostly for cold, light foods. All I want is smoothies and Greek yogurt and I’ve lost considerable interest in my beloved carbs. That means I need to get creative with said cold, light foods and find ways to make them feel rich! The Feast happens to be a great option.

When I went to Central Market on Tuesday to get mozzarella and basil to make these bruschetta burgers, I bought more figs because I knew they just needed to be in my life on a regular basis.

So last night, I was planning a light dinner using the leftover tomato, basil, and mozzarella, and I didn’t think to incorporate the figs, but then I saw this post on Eat, Live, Run, and I realized…it all could come together!

I added some more feast-y leftovers to this for another light dinner, both because it was hot, and because I’m keeping things light until tonight. I need to get myself in the mood for my Houston Restaurant double date for steak.

Happy Friday! Did anyone else make anything foodgasmic this week?

1 Dori August 20, 2010 at 8:31 am

Oh yes I need all this food! When we finally hang out we are SO having The Feast!

2 Bridget@PavementandPlants August 20, 2010 at 8:33 am

I love Central Market! I have one right by my house so I’ll bike there a couple times a week to pick up fresh items. I feel like it’s a cheaper version of Whole Foods, yet so delicious. This week they had 4 fresh pretzel rolls that I ate in under 2 days.
I know what you mean about the heat-The oven is rarely on, smoothies have replaced oatmeal, and I drink more water than ever.
Foodgasms this week has been fresh tomato+basil+red onion+ mozzarella cheese on whole wheat bread. It’s so easy and cheap yet tastes decadent. I’ve eaten it every day for lunch and still not sick of it.

3 Rachel Marlena August 20, 2010 at 8:47 am

Do you eat the skin and all on fresh figs — are they like plums? I have only had dried figs as well but I liked them so I’m all for the fresh version.

As for foodgasms I made some pretty incredibly creamy tomato rice soup (because it is NOT boiling in Boston right now :) ) and an incredible salad that I blogged about Wednesday.

4 Rachel August 20, 2010 at 8:49 am

Yup, just like plums! And YUM, I love soup!!

5 Missy Maintains August 20, 2010 at 9:06 am

I am coming to this Feast that Dori speaks of! I’ve never had a fresh fig! What is wrong with me!

6 Trinidad Pena August 20, 2010 at 11:15 am

I want figs now! At least it’s time for lunch!

7 sari August 20, 2010 at 11:55 am

i gave you a blog award! check it out!

8 Amanda August 20, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Wow! That looks AMAZING! I definitely want to try The Feast sometime.
My last foodgasmic meal was a quesadilla last night. It was so good!

9 Tina August 20, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I had cheese stuffed figs before and they were heavenly. I think they were stuffed with blue cheese. My favorite.