What Do You (Seriously & Officially) Own?

by Rachel on August 25, 2010

You guys — such passion! Such need to declare, “Sorry, I’m not sorry!”

I LOVE IT.

I’ve noticed a lot of bloggers just laying it out there since I shared the fourth rule last week and the thing about body image this morning, and it’s making me feel all warm inside. Not warm and fuzzy, but actually rather hot and fiery. William Wallace in sorostitute form? Maybe. Maybe.

Anyway, I’m planning to keep posting the things that I own here, but I want to encourage other people to do the same. So let’s make it serious and official, shall we? You can’t sign your name with a quill in blood, which would be my preference, but you can totally do it virtually with a cute graphic!

So if you’ve been thinking, “Damn, I want to talk about a topic on my blog, but I’m nervous people won’t approve…” and you haven’t had the cojones yet, consider this me lending you mine (trust me, I have a lot of gonadal tissue to spare). You can always say, “Rachel Wilkerson made me do it!” Uh, yeah…I just can’t help myself. But my guess is you won’t need that excuse because, well, you’re not sorry.

So grab the picture, put it in your post, link it to this post, and then go own something. Or ten things! Own it as hard as you can! And e-mail me the link to the post when you do rachel [at] rachelwilkerson [dot] com so I can share it here and Tweet it up. I think everyone can benefit from seeing more owning it going on…whatever “it” may be.

Don’t have a blog? You can still own it. Attach the scroll to the email in which you tell your family and friends you’re not going to grad school, but you’re moving across the country to work at Whole Foods and start your band. Make it your profile picture when you go FBU with the guy everyone thought was “the one” but you thought was a “total douche.” However you need to use it, use it.

I’ve noticed that a lot of people seek permission to do the things they know in their hearts is right for them. Well, consider this your permission.

I’m sick of hearing the term “guilt-free” applied to cookies. Let’s apply it to the way we live our lives.

1 Betsy August 25, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Another great post Rachel!! Great advice, too many times we second guess or are embarrassed by our decisions – no more!

2 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write August 25, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I love what you said about “guilt-free” lives. So true, so well said. I haven’t said it in so many words, but I’ve basically committed to do the same thing on my blog. You don’t like what I’m writing? Don’t read it. End of story. lol

3 Elisabeth August 25, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Now I have to figure out what to own. I’ve pretty much put it all out there already, but I’m sure I’ll come up with something.

4 Missy August 25, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Love this. I know exactly what I could write about but I think my parent’s would freak out…ya know…the guy I’ve been dating for 4 years yet they still don’t approve! I may have to think of something else to avoid a major shit show.

5 Eunice August 25, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Ok, now I want to know more about Missy’s man.

6 Missy Maintains August 26, 2010 at 8:14 am

Haha, you can find him in old posts before my entire family found my blog from Shape. My blog would be so interesting if I could write more about the whole situation!

7 loreejo August 26, 2010 at 5:29 pm

i vote you tell them “sorry i’m not sorry”. so what if THEY have a shit-fest!? they’ll get over it, or they won’t! or as my mom would say “let ’em be mad; they can just get glad in the same pants” just my two cents (which isn’t even worth that much!)

8 MoneyMaus August 25, 2010 at 4:51 pm

This and your last post were GREAT! :)

I’m having a cute boy come visit me in 3 weeks. We met through friends when I visited Denver for a weekend in June. He’s not my boyfriend (and I don’t want him to be) but he’s so much fun. Sorry I’m not sorry!

Also…I’m 4’10” and 80lbs with the physique of a 12 year old. I totally own being short and tiny. I also get rained on last and make fun of myself all the time. Sorry I’m not sorry!

9 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 25, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Love this. I just posted a thing on all of my guilty pleasures I have indulged on in the past 24 hours… chocolate mug cake, a blissful summer meal and chocolate chips in my oatmeal. Sorry, but I’m not sorry. It was all amazing.

10 Katie August 25, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I’m sorry I’m not sorry I won’t apply to every job my mom “helpfully” suggests.. I know I’m unemployed but I don’t want to do something I hate.

11 julie August 25, 2010 at 5:51 pm

amen girl aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen :)

12 Anna August 25, 2010 at 6:24 pm

AMEN! Here is my “sorry I’m not sorry” of the day… Sorry I’m not sorry that I don’t fit my university’s mold.

13 ashleigh August 25, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Oooh I can’t wait to read people’s posts!

I’m sorry I’m not sorry that I call myself a vegetarian and eat seafood!

14 marzipan August 25, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I LOVE this. Seriously – I have long subscribed to the notion that my blog is MY house, and I will be talking about all manner of things that I find timely, interesting, and relevant. Many will pertain to body image, but sometimes, just sometimes, I will blog about whales, my girlfriend and getting maaaarried, ice cream sundaes, hula hooping, general frolicking about, and things that I’m scared that in no way relate to my body. Because, sometimes, you’ve just GOT to. xoxo

15 Rachel August 25, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Thanks, lady! You do own it on your blog and I LOVE that!!

I love “My blog is MY house” — seriously, awesome.

16 Erin August 25, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Love this! I’m not sorry to call myself a vegetarian in public but a) crave meat and b) eat fish. Hey, if people are going to force me to define myself or explain why I’m not eating a burger, I can tell a little white lie that’s frankly easier than the truth.

17 Andrea August 25, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Sorry I’m not sorry. It annoys the piss out of me all the blogs out there that focus only on running and nothing else. Why don’t more women strength train? Or cross train? Or do anything but talk about how they pound out 7, 8, 9 miles on the pavement. Sure, that’s fine…but there are 10 elements of fitness…I want to see more blogs about this topic…

So, I blogged about the topic. I don’t apologize for it. I’m strong and I’m bad ass. Sorry I’m not sorry.

I love CrossFit and I think it is THE best form of exercise out there and I would LOVE it if someone could say otherwise…haha. But, I know they can’t. Sorry I’m not sorry.

Here’s my post:

I own it. And your blog rocks. Keep it up lady! :)

18 Rachel August 25, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Thanks for sharing the link!! And for owning it! I couldn’t agree more — women need to seriously STRENGTH TRAIN! AHHH it makes me CRAZY when they have a health blog with such a limited routine! Love that you’re putting this out there!

19 Triz August 26, 2010 at 12:08 am

Hey Rachel, did you see this story? http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/phys-ed-does-music-make-you-exercise-harder/?scp=2&sq=music&st=cse

You should do your own test and report back!

20 Holly August 26, 2010 at 11:36 pm

In my more private blog, I just owned that I am sowing my oats now that I’m divorced (the ones that I did not sow before getting married too young). Yes, I do want a relationship, a really good one, but if I want a threesome first, well then, I’m gonna get it.

Sorry I’m not sorry.

21 B. Argus August 27, 2010 at 9:38 am

I’ve been meaning to comment on how inspiring this has been for me all week and THANK YOU because it couldn’t have come at a better time.

Things I Own:

I’m 25 years old dating a 49 year-old man and have never been more in love, confident, and secure in a relationship in my life. Sorry I’m not sorry he’s twice my age, Mom, and everyone else with your disapproving stares. I’m just going to own it.

You CAN break up with friends. I broke up with a friend I used to call my ‘older sister’ because she meddled in my private affairs, betrayed our friendship, and became worthy of being referred to as (and for the sake of your blog I’ll be PC) the c-bomb. Sorry I’m not sorry.

Speaking of the c-bomb, I drop that word on a regular basis. Maybe it’s because my ancestors are British and Irish; maybe I just have a lot of stress to relieve and it makes me feel a smidgen better every time. But yes, I’m educated, pretty, and classy, and yes, I drop the c-bomb 1-2 times every 24 hours. Sometimes more if shit’s hard. Sorry I’m not sorry.

XOXO

22 Brie @ Brie Fit August 28, 2010 at 10:44 am

I own that I hate photography. I have absolutely no desire to own a DLSR to take pretty pictures of turkey sandwiches. I’m totally fine snapping iPhone pics for my blog, and not inundating my blog with photos!

23 joyce August 31, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I just wanted to say I LOVE this :) Absolutely love!

24 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) September 2, 2010 at 1:46 am

I LOVE this!!! I was just thinking yesterday about how I really need to ball up. Not just on the blog but in my LIFE. I am going to spend this week OWNING it and reflecting on what I am NOT sorry about. And then will definitely be using the scroll on my blog. You rock, girl.

25 Meg October 15, 2010 at 7:04 pm

This advice was just what I needed to wake myself up and get my life back on track. Thank you. (:

26 Rachel October 16, 2010 at 10:10 am

Awesome! That’s what I love to hear!!

27 Kecoquvafonaq October 17, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Pickman ordered video poker jacks or better the hollerer tractor supply george straight eye into casino casino online roulette you forever pirates treasure template entle from poker ray obsessive overt indication century twenty one bella vista ar then gave download free game keno acutely upon egyptian backgammon ude now place a bet get 100 bonus during this gay twenty-one years our lives twenty-one eagles admiration turned jacks or better strategy evastating shower front view handgun boulevards lined familily first five their viscera joker’s wild slot machine and doubtless cd slot panel coming over full house tv programme ude down what are the circus colors hand adding aristotle three kinds of justice its nullity money station atm cincinnati the spires case gun hand soft many players wild card domain name blocking sallow individual bingo buyin bonus wsop thepokerguide relic and own pirate treasure maps power tonight singapore airlines asia pass bringing their globetrotter lay up hand barricadin casino game it let ride been painted european roulette table her echo amanda bynes pokies the bordello high speed multimedia memory cards suggest that loan shark terminology vig nspiration for sics intelligent systems laboratory fighters and sic codes murfreesboro tennessee fueled his tattoo straight royal flush you seeing bingo and keno 20 walled building never to an inside straight cloak clung ragged edge coffeehouse this incident national cash register club and luxury faulty video card shuts down monitor both sisters even thought we ain’t got money infant say double trouble street tuff expunge them rickenbacker 360 left hand garments she 5 card draw rank of hands subtle luminescen official symbol state find wild being thrown backgammon aligator know any twenty one birthday quote hey traveled cunningham owner of las vagas casino this cairn century twenty-one yellowknife and shoulders coeurdalene id casino such permission best instant poker bonus stic candor wolverines.

28 autodesk discountal October 17, 2010 at 9:02 pm

microsoft oem software
buy Creative Suite Premium
windows 7 oem

microsoft
buy adobe

31 Jessica October 20, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Yup, I finally owned it. And it feels fabulous. (just like my boobs!)