Meet the Owners

by Rachel on August 27, 2010

Are you ready for this!?!

I was so excited by the great response to my post Wednesday about seriously and officially owning it. Would you look at all this owning going on?

Laura — Owning her first half-marathon! She owned that she made the decision while tipsy, didn’t consult friends, and that she’s worried about her knee. I adore this woman.

Meredith — Owning all her choices, including rediscovering her inner writer and the fact that yes, sometimes she trips and burns her toast.

Missy — Owning the things she’s been unable to post on her blog before. She drinks more than one drink most nights, doesn’t like to spend more than five minutes cooking dinner, and dates a guy her family doesn’t approve of. And she’s not sorry.

Bess — This girl knows how to own it, so she rounded up her past posts with examples!

Caitlin — Possession…I got chills when I read this. It was like I could just feel how much she wanted to say these things and how good it felt for her to put it out there.

Libby — She moved for love! A woman of my own heart.

Eunice — Owned that her life isn’t all rainbows and kittens. I love when bloggers start getting real like this.

Anna — What didn’t she own in this post? I love that she owned “my life is awesome.” Too many people work hard to be happy…and then try to downplay how awesome that happiness feels!

Heather — The girl ate chicken. Not always easy to blog about when you’re a former vegetarian, but she owned it!

Andrea — Owned her love of Crossfit and called BS on everyone who refuses to strength train. Love it!

Kate — She thinks running sucks. The nerve!

Janna — Just keeping it real. Thank you for owning that Blizzards taste good.

Kristen — Gained some weight. Dieted too hard. Oops. Sometimes you mess up. She owned it.

Sarah — Blew off training for a race to get straight As in school. Smarty pants. I like it.

Kendra — Speaks like a Valley girl, likes to dance and act skanky, yet still loves philosophy. She’s done justifying. Works for me.

Heather — She’s a raging feminist and left her corporate job to be a personal trainer. She’s one of my BFFs.

Angela — Is high and low maintenance and makes a huge mess when she cooks. Love that she’s high maintenance and low maintenance…I soo get it!

Summer — “I may not be fast, I may not run the whole time, but I am a runner. You think chubby girls can’t run? Don’t be ridiculous. I own my slowness. Get on my level.” Um, YES! Get that half-marathon, girl!

Jackie — Loves to eat. Sometimes two dinners. Isn’t a vegan. Isn’t sorry. She gets it.

Suzanne — Wants to lose weight to look good at her wedding. Stuff it coworkers. AMEN.

Elisabeth — Total hardass, yet wants to own a tiny bakery. Look at her apron. I adore her!

Via Facebook & Twitter…

Christine: Sorry I’m not sorry that I pretty much can’t stand most “health bloggers” because it’s like reading a giant ad for their Open Sky shop daily and reading about their oatmeal and gross food combinations I’d never eat. Sorry I’m not sorry their…vivid accounts of using 500 kinds of bowls to eat their oatmeal daily (Oh! But I can buy the same bowl as them! So that they can make their living off…wait for it…writing about their oatmeal? Not fair, why am I going to college again?) doesn’t enrich my life in any way.

Manon: I’m owning being 33, single & HAPPY ABOUT THAT. Yes, I’m picky — no, I won’t settle. Sorry, I’m not sorry.

Jennifer: Per Rachel Wilkerson’s request: Sorry I’m Not Sorry that I’ve lost 46 lbs. so far this year!! I totally support having a healthy body image and body acceptance, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t try to lose weight and be healthier. I OWN IT!

Elizabeth (my best friend): I’m 25 years old dating a 49 year-old man and have never been more in love, confident, and secure in a relationship in my life. Sorry I’m not sorry he’s twice my age, Mom, and everyone else with your disapproving stares. I’m just going to own it.

You CAN break up with friends. I broke up with a friend I used to call my ‘older sister’ because she meddled in my private affairs, betrayed our friendship, and became worthy of being referred to as (and for the sake of your blog I’ll be PC) the c-bomb. Sorry I’m not sorry.

Speaking of the c-bomb, I drop that word on a regular basis. Maybe it’s because my ancestors are British and Irish; maybe I just have a lot of stress to relieve and it makes me feel a smidgen better every time. But yes, I’m educated, pretty, and classy, and yes, I drop the c-bomb 1-2 times every 24 hours. Sometimes more if shit’s hard. Sorry I’m not sorry.

XOXO

Chandra: I am owning the fact that I am not a great blogger anymore. And I’m about to own a pre-noon glass of wine.

Jackie: I love Ke$ha. Sorry, I’m not sorry.

Go read the posts above and then read the comments; clearly, this is a message a lot of women need to hear!

And if you haven’t owned it yet, please do. Like, now. It’s about guilt-free decisions and you being who you are. You’ll feel better afterward, trust me.

Can’t wait to read more!

1 Jessica August 27, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I am so glad you did a roundup. This is freaking awesome.

2 Katie August 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Now I’m owning that I have 20 tabs open to read… thanks!

3 whit August 27, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I could not agree with Manon more. OWN THAT SH!T.

PS: I am single and picky.

PPS: Oh, you figured that out already?

4 Christine August 27, 2010 at 1:34 pm

love. love. love. love. love. this.

5 Diane August 27, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I forgot to reply to you on Twitter when I said: “It seems I can’t go a day without one article of leopard print clothing. I’ve owned it.” Sorry I’m not sorry, I’m on Team Tacky.

6 Rachel August 27, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Go Team Tacky!! When I was a senior in college, I tried to wear an animal print every day. Made it through fall semester I think!

7 Danielle August 27, 2010 at 1:45 pm

If this blog was a movie, this post would be a scene with beautiful music of triumph. Magnificent!

8 K August 27, 2010 at 1:45 pm

LOVING THIS! So much positivity and kickass-ness.

Owning submitting my two weeks because my current job in no way aligns with my personal mission statement or future goals and a better offer literally landed in my lap. Sorry, I’m not sorry.

9 Missy Maintains August 27, 2010 at 1:46 pm

This is great! Looks like I have something to do at work for the next hour!

10 Bree August 27, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I think this is such an important lesson for women especially. I hear women apologize for the most ridiculous things– not straightening their hair, having messy apartments, having a good time at happy hour. I think we all need to be reminded to be a little less sorry.

11 Rachel August 27, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I really hate when women apologize to the dog. Or for accidentally touching one another in a crowded space. SHIT HAPPENS.

12 Diane August 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm

YES! The crowded space thing is especially ridiculous. I don’t apologize unless I accidentally brush genitalia. If I mistakenly grazed your junk, I feel like I should at least make eye contact.

13 christine August 28, 2010 at 12:04 am

definitely. I’m so ridiculous I find myself apologising when someone does something to me. like I’ve definitely had someone step on my foot and told them “sorry” like it was because I was in their way. I’m like a compulsive apologiser.

14 Angela August 27, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Thanks for posting these (the original blog was amazing, too)! I’ve been throwing around “Sorry I’m not sorry” all week and contemplating how to incorporate it into a future post.

15 Kendra August 27, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I’m now owning the fact that I’m probably not getting much sleep tonight because I’ll be up reading these after work!

16 Christine August 27, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Oh also for lack of being able to post on my (starter) blog at work, I’m owning that I’m sorry I’m not sorry that I Hate (with a capital H) cutsie blog language -for example, “bloggie”, “tweeps”, “blends”, naming of cameras, Garmins, etc. Sorry I’m not sorry that I think it sounds ridiculous!!

17 Rachel August 27, 2010 at 2:38 pm

“Bloggie” makes me gouge my eyes out.

18 Caitlin August 27, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Does it make you feel any better to know that I “invented” blends? I agree with some of the cutsie ones but it became so much easier when talking with IRL friends to just say “blends” instead of “my friend, XYZ, who is also a blogger.” Or for them to be like “who is that?” and me have to explain who they were.

It was more out of laziness than cuteness :)

19 Caroline August 27, 2010 at 5:34 pm

YES–and can I hate cutsie foodnames too like “bloob,” “zuke,” etc? Every time I read “bloob” and say it in my head, I shiver. Such an terrible name for a beautiful fruit.

20 Caroline August 27, 2010 at 2:21 pm

These are hilarious and I loved reading through them…I need to go figure out a few things I can go own, but my favorite here was Christine submitted via Facebook. I get so annoyed that some bloggers can actually make money just by lifecasting. I just unsubscribed from a lot of those blogs because I only have so much time to read blogs and I’d rather look at original content than your oatmeal. I don’t want to hear about your whole day; my own life is more important to me than yours.

So to start, I’d like to own how much I hate when bloggers go out for french fries (etc.) and try to justify it and sound cute by writing about eating everything in moderation and saying that eating french fries is part of healthy living. You don’t need to justify eating french fries to me. I really don’t care if you do.

21 Rachel August 27, 2010 at 2:39 pm

RIGHT?! Like, just eat the fries, whether or not you went for a run!!! Only eating when you work out is so fucked up and sends a terrible message.

22 christine August 28, 2010 at 12:01 am

“I only have so much time to read blogs and I’d rather look at original content than your oatmeal. I don’t want to hear about your whole day; my own life is more important to me than yours.” exactly :) I was going to comment more until I clicked on your blog and saw Princeton and suddenly felt like anything I’d say would be idiotic (sorry I’m not sorry?)

23 Angela August 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I am owning that I love Christine’s Facebook or Twitter post about the Oatmeal Bloggers. Does she have a blog? I want to read it if so!

And you know that I own that I love any blog that Rachel Wilkerson is a part of.

24 christine August 27, 2010 at 11:58 pm

hey Angela! that was me. had no idea Rachel would post it on the blog but I’m owning my comment ;) aww thank you for saying you’d want to read my blog! you’re sweet. and your cute little orange picture is adorable. I don’t have a blog, sadly. been thinking of starting one but there’s just so many out there I’m not really sure what I could contribute and as much as I try to be healthy and eat well/exercise, I’m not sure anyone would want to read shit like today: “I was so busy and stressed that I forgot to eat until after 7pm and was in traffic so I scrounged a melted piece of granola bar out of my purse and then decided when I finally made it home that an eskimo pie was a perfectly acceptable dinner choice (you can buy eskimo pies in my opensky shop, I have 40 flavours of them so get on it, girls!)” going to check out your blog :) have a good weekend!

25 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 30, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Christine I have no idea how I stumbled across this blog or how I ended up reading through all the comments, but I would TOTALLY read your blog if you wrote stuff like that. I want honesty and I do my best to GIVE honesty in my blog posts as well.

26 Nicole August 27, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Perfect! I had wondered who else had something to say. It’s so refreshing to see everyone committing to who they are. Strong passionate bloggers :) Love it.

27 ashleigh August 27, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I love these :) Especially the pre noon glass of wine LOL.

28 christine August 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm

LOVED reading these! every one is awesome, then I get down to the one about Ke$ha and died laughing. your blog just attracts the smartest, most hilarious women. love it :)

29 Heather August 29, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Hahaha, I really love that you call me a raging feminist. But really, so great that so many people owned it!

30 Kassi August 29, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Props to Elisabeth! I am in the same boat, my fiance is 50 and I’m 25. I am totally owning it! :)

31 Jennifer@ knackfornutrition August 29, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I’m owning my dedication to 1/2 marathon training. Sorry, I am not sorry I chose to stay in and go to bed early on a Saturday night because my priorities have shifted. I own it!

32 Teri [a foodie stays fit] August 29, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I’m so glad you posted all of these!!! I’m feeling inspired to right my own “Owning It” post. But so scared too! You are amazing Rach!

33 Aj August 30, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I LOVE THIS! I’ve been following on Twitter and had to see the blog that launched a thousand “Sorry I’m not sorry’s!”

I own that I sometimes hate to run….and I DON’T SUCK IT UP AND GO FOR A RUN ANYWAY. http://wp.me/pXb8l-2I

I own that I sleep in on the weekends and b!tch and moan about being an adult with responsibilities…and sometimes I just don’t run the errands. http://wp.me/pXb8l-32

Guess what!?! Sorry I’m not sorry.

BTW, the comment about oatmeal on the foodie blogs is dead on.

34 Jessica August 31, 2010 at 6:02 pm

You can add me to that list too — http://www.seejessicarun.com/2010/08/sorry-im-not-sorry.html

LOVE IT!