Meet the Owners: Julia

by Rachel on August 29, 2010

Part of the reason I’m able to own it like I do is because I surround myself with people who encourage that sort of thing. The best at this? My friend Julia.

Julia and I met in Sigma Kappa; we became roommates in Room Eight (“The Ocho”) and bonded over a love of chips and salsa. We make a really good team: she was President while I was VP of Membership my junior year; my senior year, she was President of Panhel (the all-sorority governing board), while I was the Greek Week VP of Administration. Together, we made sure things got taken care of in a way frat guys could never seem to get.

Julia owns everything she does, and that means she’s had to take a lot of shit over the years (even from me, I’ll admit it). She’s now in grad school at Georgetown and taking on D.C. I’m so proud and impressed and I miss her all the time. And when she said she loved the whole “sorry I’m not sorry” post from a couple weeks ago and she was making a list, I was pretty pumped.

When she sent it to me yesterday, I was reminded of why I keep telling her to start a blog…

No, I’m not going to have only a salad every single day for lunch and dinner, and if I do have a salad, it’s not to make up for the fact that I had Menna’s the night before at 2 AM or that I didn’t work out that day – it’s just because I want a salad. I enjoy meat and carbs and fatty condiments and Mac & Cheese shapes, and no, I don’t drink Diet Coke or any other pop for that matter, unless there is liquor in it. My eating habits are not perfect. Sorry I’m not sorry.

I like to be involved. It makes me feel good, I care about what I’m doing, and I’m good at it. I even do better in school when I’m involved in activities outside of my academics. I’ve had a leadership position in some capacity every year for the past 10 years. I don’t care if you think it’s lame or if you don’t understand. Sorry I’m not sorry.

I don’t make excuses for shitty men, or shitty women for that matter. Please have some self-respect. Men – don’t tolerate the deplorable actions of your male friends. It is not ‘cool’ or ‘funny.’ Women – please demand better from the men you date because you are worth it and you deserve the best. I hold people to a high standard and it bothers me when people settle for mediocrity. Sorry I’m not fucking sorry.

I have a lot of pride for Michigan. Does that mean I want to stay in my hometown, not finish school, and work a dead-end job at Applebee’s? No, it doesn’t. I’m making something of myself and pursuing my goals, regardless of where that takes me. I’m choosing to expand my experiences, my acquaintances, and my network and I don’t feel the need to maintain friendships with every single person from my white-bubble high school. Sorry I’m not sorry.

I choose to associate with organizations that stand for something I believe in and to associate with groups of people that want to change the world by demanding a high standard. I won’t settle. I don’t care if you think ‘nothing will ever change’ or ‘that’s the way it’s always been.’ Sorry I’m not sorry.

Sorry I’m not sorry that I’m Catholic. I’m not the Catholic Church. I disagree with the Catholic Church. I’m still Catholic.

Sorry I’m not sorry that I don’t have answer for the people that ask me what I am going to do with my degree. I know I’ll be successful regardless of what I do, even if I don’t know exactly what that is yet.

So that ought to give you some serious inspiration this morning.

1 Kristie August 29, 2010 at 4:50 pm

And inspire that really, truly did. That Julia gal sure knows what she’s talking about. I’m so envious of her attitude and her drive. Clearly you two are a perfectly paired friendship match :)

2 Jess-The Semi Abnormal Gal August 29, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Wow, I agree with every item on Julia’s list….as in word-for-word. She sounds amazing, so big thanks to you Rachel, for sharing and to Julia for sharing with Rachel so she could share with us!

3 MrsFatass August 29, 2010 at 6:19 pm

So, aside from the Grand Blanc/Flint connection (AND wondering what year ya’ll graduated so we can start playing the ‘do you know so and so’ game) I can’t get Sorry I’m Not Sorry out of my head. I think I’m going to have to write a (properly credited, natch) post of my own. Flint style.

4 Teri [a foodie stays fit] August 29, 2010 at 8:43 pm

oh man, I think you and I could have some seriously awesome conversations about religion. I love that you own that you are Catholic and NOT the Catholic church. Such a great way to put it.

5 Julia August 29, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Thanks Rach and friends! It just really is motivating and empowering when you start to think about these things….clearly I was on a roll once I started! Kristie, you should see us when we’re together and we’re both ‘on’ – it’s usually high-powered and we just gush! :)

There’s been a lot of talk this week about the origin of ‘owning it’ and where other topics/phrases have come from. What I like about where Rachel has taken this discussion is that I think it inspires us to acknowledge/redefine who we are, what we believe in, and why we believe it, and then it encourages us to be confident in that, not apologetic. Especially as women, we don’t do this enough. I think promoting this sort of mindset really pushes us toward being higher quality individuals. I felt in undergrad there was a lot of pressure for women to lack this substance, exist on a more superficial level, and blend in. For so many of us, it is something we need to grow into and that’s ok – there’s no need to have everything you ‘own’ figured out from the start and what you own can certainly evolve, but I really hope this is something more young women are thinking about. It’s a great mantra to live by.

(mic off, cue We Are The World, step down from soapbox)

6 Christie {Honoring Health} August 30, 2010 at 5:56 am

I am also thinking of writing a sorry I’m not sorry post.

But what I really want to say is that I LOVE those pants in the first photo.

7 Ashley August 30, 2010 at 11:49 am

I love that she calls it pop! I love calling it pop down here and getting blank looks in return.

8 Carla August 31, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Aww Meredith and I met/lived in room 8 :)