New Month, New Goals: September

by Rachel on September 1, 2010

What’s the first thing I do on the first of the month?

Um, read my horoscope. (September is looking good for Leo!)

What’s the next thing I do?

Set some goals!

Normally, I like to recap the previous month’s goals, but in all honesty, my goal-making has moved to the back of my mind since the whole move-to-Texas plan got set in motion. It’s hard for me to care about too many things in the summer — I mostly just like to eat ice cream and hang out — so I just did my best to stay active, healthy, and somewhat career focused.

But now that it’s September, I’m ready to get down to business. I don’t know about you guys, but fall is my best time of year. I like the refreshing “back to school” feeling — it makes me want to put on my Catholic school girl uniform and go piss off my teachers.

baby one more time video

Here’s what’s up this month!

• Get focused back on my professional goals. I’ve got things in the work with my agent — I need to make those things my number one goal every month until I’ve achieved everything I want to achieve. Plain and simple.
  • Start TRX training. I have wanted to play with a TRX for so long, I can’t even tell you! The only problem is it’s a pricey system to buy. I’ve tried to win it. I’ve tried to get it free for reviewing here. (Shameless, I know.) I looked at the knockoff version. I watched YouTube videos and considered making my own. But it still hasn’t happened. So when my blogger friend Elisabeth pitched her TRX Try It program, I said, “All you other tricks back off — it’s mine first.” It arrived yesterday and I’m so excited to start using it. The goal: a total body workout, twice a week. That, and not breaking any bones while trying to use it.
  • Be a weekend warrior. Miraculously, my jeans somehow still fit, but that won’t be the case for long if I don’t stop totally letting go on the weekends. I have to do cardio on the weekends. It just has to happen. My overall workout plan is an hour of TRX twice a week, an hour of Core Fusion twice a week, and three days a week of cardio. Halloween is in six weeks, people. It just has to happen.
  • Get to know Houston. I’ve been working at this pretty diligent already, but I want to make it official. I need friends here. I need a life here. I need to make that my priority, which means saying yes to new people, new things, and new experiences as much as humanly (well, financially) possible.
  • Not burst into tears every time I walk by fall-themed items in stores. Just kidding. That’s totally not a goal. I’m sure Eric wishes it were, and wishes I’d stop getting mopey every time someone tweets that they just had a pumpkin latte, but fall is my favorite season and I’m pretty bummed that somewhere in the world, the leaves are changing colors and it’s not 100 degrees outside.

Last fall was a great time for me; I started half-marathon training, cooking a ton, became a certified PT, really came into my own as a blogger, and I truly began to shake off my not-so-great year in NYC. I hope this fall is just as productive, healthy, and happy!

Anyone else have goals to declare and share?

1 C.J. September 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I need to get on this month’s goals stat. My biggest goal is to actually start writing them down, and not just taking a mental note of them in my head.

I’ve never heard of the TRX program? Checking it out, stat.

2 Rachel September 1, 2010 at 3:13 pm

@ C.J. YouTube TRX — I feel like you need to see it in action to see what is so sweet about it!

3 Bree September 1, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I bought myself a TRX in May as a trade for giving up gym membership. It makes working out so much fun! I hope you’ll enjoy it. My favorite moves are low rows and supported pistol squats.

4 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write September 1, 2010 at 3:06 pm

My goal: get my site finished! I’m doing a major (read that MAJOR PULL-OUT-ALL-HAIR) renovation of my blog this month in an effort to be ME instead of trying to be just another healthy living blogger taking pics of my food. I’m excited and anxious all at once. It’s a lot of work!

Just so you know, every single time I see that pic (on right) of you riding a stationary bike with “face down, ass up,” I laugh my butt off. Too funny.

5 T September 1, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Here’s the deal. I need help sticking to my goals. I need to be held accountable.

— i need to make time for myself *at least once a day*. . . this means i don’t email when i am off the clock. i don’t work from home because a computer is near by. even getting a manicure or coffee with a friend is better than being online.

— i need to get back on my bike. i need to be riding 3-5 miles a day, 8-10 on weekends. enough excuses. i spend a lot of extra time working at home, working from home, glued to the computer, i need to be spending that time on the bike instead. all the extra computer time doesn’t make me happy. it makes me fat.

–i need to stop being a pussy and letting my asshole boss get the best of me. we all agree that he is a total dick and a really unpleasant motherfucker. why do i let him hurt my feelings, make me feel small, make me cry at least once a month? why am i such a little bitch when it comes to people attacking me?

–i need to take care of my dry cleaning problem. that’s superficial, but i have more clothes in my dry cleaning pile than i have in my closet.

last fall, for me, was a really hard time. my husband and i were trying to get out of my mom’s guest house and buy a home, and he was battling major depression (still) from being in iraq. now he is with a great fire department and about to start paramedic school. i have a lot to be thankful for. i just hate my body and have low self esteem. what’s with that?

6 Anne Bender September 1, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I started on one of my goals (finally got off my butt) and started working out at a gym. I am not self-motivating when it comes to exercise, but put me in a class and I’m so there. The great thing is these classes are strength and aerobic training. Of course, I did core fusion on Monday and my legs are still sore which made for a “fun” day today, but I will be there tomorrow. My goal – go Monday – Friday and do 1 class.

Goal number 2 – get my resume into the hands of some temp agencies so they can help me get a job. Isolation is only good for so long and now it’s time to get back out there. As Barney (HIMYM) says, it’s time to “suit up”.

7 Katie September 1, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I love that astrology site- it was scarily accurate for me (gemini) and my mom (sag) last month so we will be reading our Sept horoscopes tonight! My goal is to get back on a standard schedule like I am going to work everyday- finding a job is my job.

8 Katie September 1, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Just read my horoscope… HOPE it’s accurate!!

9 Anna September 1, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Dude, I know exactly what you mean when you say you’re mopey about missing fall. I’m not even a huge fall fan myself (I prefer summer) but I DID grow up in Massachusetts so all that foliage and those spicy pumpkin treats are just part of me. I lived in Kenya from late August to late December last year so I missed that entire fall season and it HURT inside. I whined about it on Twitter far too much and even resorted to baking butternut squash bread and squash pie all the time because pumpkins don’t exist in Kenya. Squash was the best I could do.

Oh and thank you for your sweet email response! I agree, I wish it wasn’t taboo to enjoy those domestic things.

10 Christie {Honoring Health} September 1, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I need to focus, I mean really focus (aka don’t surf the web all day) on my coaching business and continuing to build my blog. I also want to start being more socially active since I am in charge of my schedule now and don’t have to stress about what time I wake up in the mornings.

11 chandra September 1, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Umm… YES. Leo’s horoscope does look great (I’m one too!), and I SO hope it’s true because it’s what I need with the new biz! (As I’m sure you do too! ) Yay! Thanks for sharing!

12 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 1, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I was going to assure you that the leaves aren’t changing colors here, but a couple of trees are starting to do just that. Sorry! I will switch you though. I am not a fall/winter/early spring gal. But that just may because I live in the Pacific Northwest and I hate the rain.

13 Secondhand Smash September 1, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Sounds like September will be a good month [and I’m a fellow Leo, too!]. My goals are to work on and promote my new blog, get thrifty, and work more on my fitness in relation to playing soccer in December! XO

14 Natalie @ Scarlett Notions September 1, 2010 at 6:25 pm

My goal is actually start KEEPING the goals I set. I’m great at setting, but horrible at follow-through…

15 Tara September 1, 2010 at 6:32 pm

August can kiss my a** for real! THAT is the only thing on my mind heading into this month.

While my horoscope gave me hope for last month, August played me…real hard.

So September, I’m just not ready to commit.

16 Robyn September 1, 2010 at 6:56 pm

September goals:
– keep going w/ marathon training (August brought me a knock-me-on-my-ass head cold that became a chest thing that was really gross and kept me sidelined for a while. Lame!)

– get more sleep (I think I say this is a goal at least once a week, but I REALLY want to make this a priority — I’m so bad at it!)

– try to go to a yoga class once a week (they’re free at my gym and I LOVE the instructors – what’s my excuse?)

– try three new vegetables (I’ve never met a vegetable I didn’t like — so it’s time to branch out and try some I’ve never had before)

17 Lisa @ I'm an Okie September 1, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I actually love cardio on the weekends–its just nice bc I actually have time to do it!

18 highonhealthy September 1, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I don’t usually set goals at the start of each month but I kind of feel like trying it out for September. One of my goals? Uh..brush my teeth every morning. I know it’s gross but sometimes I don’t do it until noon or just wait until night. :o

19 Aby @ always.aby September 1, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I too would miss Michigan’s fall tremendously. It’s probably my favorite season! I would not, however, miss the winter that comes next. Texas in the winter is glorious, so enjoy it!

My September goals:
– Stay within my WW points allowance each week.
– Stay within my financial budget for the month (not putting ANYTHING on credit cards).
– Work on becoming more connected with my company FRG families. As their leader I need to stop going MIA!

20 Triz September 2, 2010 at 1:04 am

I’m curious – do you think part of it might be you are just driving more and walking less? I remember you were doing more incidental (French!) exercise by walking than formal cardio, but I guess that would be hard where you are. Does it ever get cool enough that you can just walk around?

21 Diane September 2, 2010 at 9:05 am

My goals are:
1.) Stop staying late at work! I’m not getting accolades for doing so. I’m salaried, so it’s not like I’m getting overtime. Those web updates can totally wait until morning.
2.) Start exploring the slightly sketchy but probably delicious restaurants in my ‘hood. I hear really good things about most of them, but I still choose something familiar over something new. Why do I still get Chipotle when I have amazing, authentic Mexican food two minutes away?
3.) Actually make it to D.C.’s Eastern Market on a Sunday morning. I despise getting up early, but I will do so for amazing thrift opportunities.

22 Bree September 2, 2010 at 9:29 am

Diane, do you live in Columbia Heights? If so, definitely try the Salvadorean place on Park. I love Chipotle, but apples and oranges. :-) Also, Eastern Market is definitely worth an earlier morning!

23 Diane September 2, 2010 at 10:14 am

I live in Mt. Pleasant, but I take the metro at Columbia Heights. I think I know the place you’re talking about! I seriously love Chipotle, but I definitely want to start exploring my options. Thanks for the tip!

24 Bree September 2, 2010 at 1:19 pm

There’s also the fantastic Taqueria Distrito Federal which is a few blocks up 14th street from the metro. It’s amazing, and has good deals.

25 Julia September 3, 2010 at 7:32 am

Diane, if you make it to Eastern Market on a Saturday, you can get what are probably the world’s best pancakes – just in case you can’t make it on a Sunday :)

26 Dani September 2, 2010 at 11:59 am

Hi Rachael,

I just found your blog and I’m loving it! I just wanted to let you know I live in VT where the leaves will most definitely change in a few weeks, but we’ve been in the 90’s all week! Fall is definitely my favorite season too. Ok, off to write my September goals.

27 rebekah (clarity in creation.) September 6, 2010 at 5:07 am

true story: i’ve puked after an hour of TRX.

also true story: i came back again two days later for more.

that stuff is no joke! good luck in sept. sweets!
-r

ps – i HATE jbf hair. blegh.