The Poor Woman’s Comfort Food

by Rachel on September 2, 2010

Fact: When you are in a new town and feeling a little homesick, sometimes it helps to cook.

Fact: When you are in a new town and feeling a little homesick, cooking comfort food helps even more.

Fact: When you are in a new town and feeling a little homesick and hoping to cook comfort food, sometimes you’re also broke.

Fact: When you are in a new town, feeling a little homesick, hoping to cook comfort food, and pretty broke…you may also not want to get fat.

Fact: This recipe will solve all your problems.

Cooking Light Quick Chicken and Dumplings.

Or, as I like to think of it, “Thank you, Cooking Light Magazine, for showing me that I can cook comfort food and eat my feelings, and my jeans can still fit, because I sure as shit can’t afford new ones.”

“Don’t order takeout; this is faster, cheaper, tastier, and healthier” also comes to mind.

This recipe cost about $10 to make and gave me four servings. I used rotisserie chicken (which is quickly becoming my favorite way to spend $5). I was nervous it might be bland but it was delicious. Eric came over the night I made this and we both were amazed at how the flour tortilla strips could give the same texture and taste as dumplings.

We also couldn’t get over how buttery tasting it is! There’s only one tablespoon of butter in it and you use it to saute the onions, so I have no idea how the butter flavor was so present but…it is. And how!

All you college kids who just got back to school? Please make this a few times before you turn to ramen noodles. Not only will you feel like your mom is right there, but you’ll also feel like a bona fide chef, because it definitely doesn’t taste like a beginner’s recipe.

I think I’ll think of it as “No More Tears Chicken & Dumplings.” Because really, no matter what you’re bummed about, it’ll make you feel better without increasing your student loan debt.

1 Trinidad Pena September 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Cooking Light is my go to magazines for healthy recipes! This looks delicious!

2 Secondhand Smash September 2, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Have you ever used canned chicken? [Like with the canned tuna, etc, at the store?] It’s perfect for chicken & dumplings. Also, for dumplings, I just tear up biscuit dough and toss it in. But I probably make an even poor-er poor woman’s chicken & dumplings. But probably not as healthy either… :P

3 Rachel September 2, 2010 at 3:35 pm

That’s so funny because today I was at the store searching EVERYWHERE for canned chicken! Central Market doesn’t carry it but I need to hit up another grocery store because yeah…I just made chicken salad and it would be PERFECT for that. So cheap!!

4 C.J. September 2, 2010 at 3:39 pm

That looks so stinking good. I always love me some comfort food, but healthy and comforting, sign me up!

5 Retta @ RunRettaRun September 2, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I would definitely take that over Ramen any day! I love flour tortillas so much. :)

6 Aby @ always.aby September 2, 2010 at 9:37 pm

This looks so delicious! And like something my husband would probably like, too. Definitely saving it for next week’s meal plan.

7 amanda September 3, 2010 at 4:34 am

Mmmmm this looks delicious and comforting

8 Joanna September 3, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Thanks for the recipe Rachel!
I made it for my sick boyfriend and he was very pleased.

9 Rachel September 3, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Oh awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

10 Annabelle September 19, 2010 at 9:09 pm

I am officially running to the store to grab the ingredients for this as soon as my next paycheck comes in. My boyfriend and I have been seriously needing an alternative to post-workout fast food runs(yeah, I know how counter-productive that probably is…) at college, and this seems PERFECT.

Now to just get my roommate to actually give up more than just the top shelf of our minifridge so I have room to store it…

11 Rachel September 19, 2010 at 9:25 pm

WOOT! So glad you’re making it — let me know how it goes. It’ll get you off the Wendy’s, I promise!