Lesson #21: How to Cure Homesickness

by Rachel on September 7, 2010

Fact: when you’re chasing everything you’ve ever wanted, at some point, you’re going to have to leave home and the people and things you love dearly. And that sucks. Even though I’ve been known to PTFO of my hometown for weeks and months at a time since I started going to summer camp at age 10, I’m still not immune to feeling homesick.

And I’m pretty sure I’m not the only transplant who gets that feeling! So whether you just transferred to a new job that’s thousands of miles from home or you’re just beginning your first semester of college (or your last — no judgments!), here are some of my best cures for homesickness.

1. Make your new city your city. Don’t think of this as a temporary situation; think of yourself as here for the long haul. And jump right in! You’re stuck here, so you might as well get to know your new surroundings. Chances are, you’ll fall in love with so many things about your new place, but you can’t fall in love with those things if you’re too sad to go out exploring. When your friends come to visit, or even just when you call home, you want to be able to share the things that make your new city unique. Give yourself a few months to become a bona fide tour guide of your new surroundings.

2. Plan hangouts around new activities. When you do start to make friends, plan your meet-ups around things you haven’t done before. Just checked into your dorm at NYU? Sweet — invite your new friends to go for a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge this weekend. Want to catch up with the one person you know in town? Don’t get Starbucks! Grab brunch at the best local place in town.

3. Say yes to everything. You have to at least try to get acquainted and one of the best ways to try is to say yes to everything, If something sounds mildly interesting, do it (even if you have to do it alone). If someone asks you to come to an event, go (even if you don’t think it’s your thing). Making a new place your own takes a lot of trial and error, and when an opportunity is presented to you, see it as a chance to answer that question.

4. Use the web to get inspired. Seriously, Groupon is my favorite thing in the world right now — it lets me know what I want to be doing and it allows me to do it at a discount. I also used Twitter to find Houston bloggers, foodies, health and fitness people, and social media geeks. I put them in a list called “Houston To Do” so I can just check that feed and see what is going on in my own ‘hood. It’s nice to feel like part of the community and have a clue as to what people like me are out doing.

5. Don’t decorate every free space with pictures of home. Yes, you want to think about the people most important to you, but constantly starting at pictures of the most fun days you had with your friends while you were home this summer is going to make you feel sad. Keep the pictures to a minimum — at least until you can balance them out with pictures of all the good times you’re having with your new friends.

6. Be physical. Being in motion can really help. And I’m not talking about going to the gym…I’m talking about walking to two different grocery stores to get ingredients for chocolate chip cookies and then coming home and mixing them without an electric mixer. I’m talking about finding the Home Depot and then painting your new room all by yourself. I’m talking about walking your dog as much as you can. Just being physical can really help clear your head and you might surprise yourself with the cool things you produce and experience while you’re at it.

7. Be proud of where you come from. Whether it’s finding a bar to watch your alma mater’s football game or saying, “Yes, motherf*cker, I have an accent,” it’s OK to be proud of where you’re from. It’s a part of who you are.

8. But don’t forget the worst parts of being at home. Yes, it’s easy to get all, “Life would be better if I were at home,” but come on…that’s not true. Yes, Houston’s traffic is awful. So, too, was the prospect of having sex while living at home. It’s tempting, but don’t idealize everything about home, Miss Grass Is Always Greener.

9. Don’t forget why you’re here. Whether you’re pursuing a degree at your dream college or just following your inexplicable desire to leave the town where you grew up, remember all the reasons you made this decision. It was the right one. Even if it’s not where you ultimately end up, it was still the right decision.

It’s OK to be homesick. It happens to all of us, no matter how old we are or how much time we’ve spent away from home. I generally have one good cry per week here in Houston — I miss my family and just generally knowing where the hell I am any time I leave the house. But then I remind myself that I had a really good reason to leave home and that despite its sucky traffic, I’m in a city that’s pretty much my oyster. And then I wipe away the snot, get out some baking ingredients, and think of all the good things I came here to do.

{ 54 comments }

1 Emily September 7, 2010 at 8:15 am

This post rocks! Last year I moved to a new city about an hour away from my hometown, not only did this mean I went home at the drop of a hat, it also meant I was so lonely when I had to return on Monday. This year its all going to be different, I swear we share brainwaves. Right before I read this I was looking up new places to run and play tennis in my new town. Thanks for the inspiration

2 Rachel September 7, 2010 at 8:17 am

Awww Emily, I love that you said “this year will be different.” I am sure it will be since you are already committing to finding things to do in your new town!!

3 Jessica October 20, 2012 at 12:54 am

This helped me so much! I moved from Virginia to Hawaii and i have been in Hawaii for a month now and just got homesick for the first time yesterday. Ive wanted to move to hawaii my whole life so at the age of 18 (right now) i did. I have an idea of a plan that i want to do to fulfill my dreams but when i was homesick i was thinking about just forgetting about them and going home but after reading this i know this is what i want to do so i just need to do it!

4 C.J. September 7, 2010 at 8:20 am

I think everyone should try to move away from home just once. It’s an experience to be completely on your own and you learn to cope. These are great tips!
C.J.´s last post ..SuccessMy Profile

5 Sarah Says October 3, 2011 at 5:18 pm

C.J., I was just having this conversation with someone earlier today. Living away from home really makes you appreciate everything about your hometown when you return.
Sarah Says´s last post ..Classes Every College Student Should Take Part 1My Profile

6 Jacki September 7, 2010 at 8:26 am

Love this Rachel! This is exactly what I needed to read. Since I moved away from home, I haven’t felt the same. Things are looking up though, I got a new kitten which occupies a lot of my time!

7 Ashley September 7, 2010 at 8:30 am

These are all great tips. I did not expect to be homesick when I moved to Florida, especially since I’m with my fiance and had moved so many other places by myself, but I’ve felt a twinge or two. You’re totally right, it helps to just dive into your new city!
Ashley´s last post ..Healthy vegetarian nachosMy Profile

8 Lisa @ I'm an Okie September 7, 2010 at 8:41 am

I’ve never had to be away from home for long periods of time so I can’t really relate. But honestly, when I get to where I’m going and move away someday–I don’t think I’ll be that homesick. I’ve always wanted to move somewhere and do something and I think I’d be so excited to simply jsut be DOING that!

Either way, I love the tips!

And all those tips can be applicable to your hometown too–just getting out there and exploring the city you are in!
Lisa @ I’m an Okie´s last post ..Muffin MondayMy Profile

9 MelissaNibbles September 7, 2010 at 8:45 am

Meetup.com is a great way to find local people that have similar hobbies. My bf and I use it to go on local hiking trips!
MelissaNibbles´s last post ..Labor Day In MaineMy Profile

10 Jordan September 7, 2010 at 8:57 am

I’m a native Houstonian, but I’m currently living in Seattle. I miss my friends and family a lot, and honestly, some days I even miss driving in Houston traffic. These tips are great, but it is even better to know that I’m not the only one who has the tendency to want to go home every once in a while.

11 Libby September 7, 2010 at 9:07 am

For me, it’s been figuring out what my trigger days are (Fourth of July, Easter, and Halloween to name a few), and do do whatever I can to make sure I have the best day for myself on those days — that might mean doing something ridiculous, epic, and fun, or it might mean vegging out. Either way, acknowledging I feel sad rather than feeling super-lame about it in a quiet way makes me feel better.

I do hate that feeling where you’re not really sure where home is — I’ve been in Minneapolis for almost three years, and I still think of myself as a Texan. I’m not sure how to embrace a new place as “home” rather than “where I live.” Maybe I’m idealizing the concept of home or conflating lots of different things to mean home, but I still don’t identify as a Minnesotan.
Libby´s last post ..How I’m Learning to Love My Body- Having a Photo ShootMy Profile

12 Megan September 7, 2010 at 9:12 am

I’m planning to study abroad in Australia next semester and this post was just what I needed to read!
Megan´s last post ..birthday sundae!My Profile

13 Melinda September 7, 2010 at 9:54 am

Just what I needed! Thanks :)

14 Naomi(onefitfoodie) September 7, 2010 at 10:38 am

i LOVe this post!! it can always be intimidating and scary to live somewhere ‘new’ but if you just say yes to everything and keep an open mind it can be SO liberating!! Seriously LOVe this!

15 Elina (Healthy and Sane) September 7, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Hi Rachel, just wanted to say hi – I’m a new reader (found you through the many “sorry, but i’m not sorry posts”) and I LOVE your blog. Did you just move from Boston? If so, I’m a little sad we haven’t met before you left.
As far as home sickness goes, you are so right with your advise. You have to commit to the new city and make it your new home. Once you have your favorite go-to spot, your new hair stylist, your new manicure place, favorite coffee shop, etc. you start feeling like you’ve really settled down. It took me over a year to get used to Boston after living in NY but I definitely call it home now (and committed to staying by buying a condo) :D

16 Rachel September 7, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Hey!! Thanks for the comment and for checking out my blog! I actually never have lived in Boston — I just moved here from Michigan, and before that I was in NYC!

Good to hear it took you more than a year to get used to your new place…that makes me feel much better!!

17 Aby @ always.aby September 7, 2010 at 2:01 pm

These are great tips! The first time I ever really left home was when I moved to Lansing, after I graduated from college and got married. That was bad enough, but then my husband left for Iraq for a year shortly after we moved! I definitely spent a lot of time making the 1.5 hour drive back home to see my family and friends that were still at the college, until one of my best friends moved in with me a few months later.

Three years later I still get homesick, especially since more of my friends have graduated from college and moved farther away. I’m going to have to try out some of your tips… I love living in Lansing, but I don’t think I take full advantage of it!
Aby @ always.aby´s last post ..5 Freshman Do’s and Don’ts That Even Seniors Seem to ForgetMy Profile

18 Jennifer September 7, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I so needed this post today! I woke up yesterday feeling very low, and very sappy about being so far away from my family and old friends back in NJ. Usually I go home every Labor Day, but this year it just didn’t work out that way. After a few tears and some whining to my BF, I realized that I have a lot to be happy about here in Birmingham! And you’re right, it really helps to make your new city YOUR city. I love getting out and exploring new events and new places, and I’ve lived here for 3 years now!
Jennifer´s last post ..A Weekend of WsMy Profile

19 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 7, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Great post! My roommate decorated her ENTIRE wall with pictures from home. She went home any weekend that she could get away.
Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter´s last post ..The Show Must Go OnMy Profile

20 Sher September 7, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Rachel!

Truly loved this post! My parents and home is in the middle east and sometimes i miss them so much that all i want to do is give up everything and just fly to see them! I see them once every two years and it sucks but doing what you prescribed is what keeps me afloat! I have made NYC my home these past 6 years and have loved every minute of it! I have done so many new things and “owned it ;)” – like running 5k races, trying new cuisines, watching every foreign movie possible etc etc! I love what i have become and anytime im dying to get in touch with parents – i jus call them up and speak about the future :)

21 Rachel September 7, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Awww, thanks Sher!! Seriously, it’s so hard to be away from home and I can’t imagine being so far…so glad you’re doing so well in NYC!!

22 Blair September 7, 2010 at 8:42 pm

This post was much needed! Every time I visit home or have my family/friends visit me (like they did this weekend) I get a little blue when it’s all over and I’m here and they aren’t. But it’s always brighter the next day!

23 Hil September 7, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I am so glad you posted this, because I have been feeling so homesick the last few months, and it’s nice to know that I’m not the only one who feels that way. I really have to try to remember number 8 because when I get really down, I start thinking I want to move back to my hometown, and I don’t think about all the reasons I wanted to get away from that small town in the first place. =] Thanks Rachel for all the great lessons!

24 Frédérique September 7, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I just moved to D.C. two days ago from Canada and homesickness is hitting me hard. Thanks for posting this. It helps.

25 Jen September 7, 2010 at 9:20 pm

You’re awesome. I needed this post today. Thanks for making me have to wipe away my own snot.

26 Carolyn September 7, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I’ve grown up in the NASA area and there are a lot of adventurous things to do in Houston! To play off your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th point: I used Groupon and discovered Buffalo Bayou Shuttle Service ( http://www.bayoushuttle.com/tours/tours.htm). Kayaking through downtown Houston was a blast! You should give it a try. :)
Carolyn´s last post ..Pumpkin Ravioli with Gorgonzola SauceMy Profile

27 Rachel September 7, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Ahhh this is an awesome idea! Thanks so much for sharing!!

28 Amanda September 7, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I definitely just sent this to my sister. She started college a few weeks ago and has been feeling really homesick lately. I’m glad you post things like this. Thanks so much!
Amanda´s last post ..My Delicious Labor Day WeekendMy Profile

29 Ashley September 7, 2010 at 10:47 pm

I love this! I’m a freshman in college & it reminded about both pros & cons of moving out. Definitely A LOT more pros than cons. After all, I bitched for so many years to move out, so I might as well make the most of it ;) It makes me feel good that you have such interesting insight & a sense of humor to show people they aren’t alone :) Thanks Rachel! :)

30 Kate September 8, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Hi Rachel!

I’m a new reader. Thanks so much for this post. I haven’t had my mandatory weekly breakdown this week (it’s only Wednesday), but when I do, I’ll come back to this post! I moved 1000 miles from home to Washington, DC to pursue my dreams and while some days it’s hard, I don’t regret my decisions for a second! I’ll have been here two months, tomorrow, and have found that saying YES to everything and getting out (not sitting in my apartment by myself) have really helped me adjust.

31 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) September 9, 2010 at 1:04 am

I love this! Since I’ve been away from home for the past 7 seven I totally understand. I especially love 8 and 9. It’s so easy for me to be like “awww, home is SO great!!!” I should move back. Since I live across the country, I can only go home to NY a couple of times a year so I don’t really have the time to remember why I moved away, haha. BUT, it does make my time there super special and I always leave refreshed and happy to come back to my warm and sunny San Diego.
Jackie (Peaces of Earth)´s last post ..Find Your PassionMy Profile

32 AmandaD September 27, 2010 at 8:36 am

Welcome to Houston! I’ve been reading your blog a few weeks- Shelby at eat, drink, run sent me over here. Hope you are starting to feel at home ;)
AmandaD´s last post ..SS- LoveMy Profile

33 Useless February 27, 2011 at 7:57 am

Didnt work, even by reading this my homesickness grew

34 Hannah November 7, 2011 at 6:04 am

Hi Rachel!

I love this post – it’s so upbeat and just what I needed to read this morning :) I’m a Brit living and working in Lisbon (I moved here two months ago) and I’ve been finding the adjustment harder than I thought. I agree with Blair that it’s tough just after friends and family visit (saw my friend off at the airport a few hours ago and have had a little cry back in the apartment) However, I’m determined to make the most of my time here and really make it “my city”! Thanks again xx

35 Anu January 28, 2012 at 11:08 am

I am doing my second semester in a college which is an hour away from my hometown. Im a kinda girl who is really attached to my parents and home. I return home every weekend. Still i feel depressed. I will be happy only from wednesday to saturday(Coz its time for the weekend). On Sundays and Mondays, I will be so restless. My parents are fed up,counseling me. I think that its because i havent got a good friend.
This is an awesome lesson. Inspired me a lot. Thank you so much for it.

36 Charlotte February 12, 2012 at 12:53 am

I’m currently @ uni in australia, Im from the uk all my family and girlfriends are back there I’ve made friends here but I’ve been thinking that I want to go home and give it all up, I’ve done someone AMAZING things there in Aus and reading this has made me determined to finish what I’ve started because home will always be there, but this life I have now wont. Life is too short to regret. Thanks so much even tho u don’t know you :-) you’ve helped so much!

37 Beck March 14, 2012 at 4:14 pm

WOW this is some of what i have been looking for. We have been in USA (Denver) for 3 months now. Were here on a 3 year posting from AUSTRALIA and i have cried every day missing home and my FAMILY and all that is familiar to me. The USA is so different in very way possible

We did this for a reason. we did this for the experience and i want this to be something my kids remember forever. We will not be here forever but the memoires will be. I need to pull on my big girl undies and get moving plan trips and be happy. I have my boys i have my family still and an opportunity of a life time…..

Great read thankyou for reminding me why were here…

38 Shelbie March 30, 2012 at 12:29 am

You do not even know how much this post helped me. We moved to San Antonio from East Texas because my husband and I got pregnant. He had an extremely good job opportunity down here and we couldnt turn it down. My sister-in-law and brother are down here along with my mom and dad. I am so grateful that they are here but now my brother is fixing to move his family back to east Texas and I am bummed because I want to go home so bad….We are going to be stuck down here for probably ever because there is nothing that could make this kind of money back home…Running across this post after trying to google how to cope with homesickness as a last resort was probably the best thing thats ever happened to me. I just need to remind myself that it is the best thing for our family. Sorry about the comment. Made me feel better writing this out.

39 Caterina May 18, 2012 at 1:21 am

This was really nice to read – I was just sitting on the couch at around midnight having a wee cry to myself – I couldn’t sleep and was feeling really anxious (the homesickness setting in) and the best thing is to know that I’m not alone! Have only been in Edmonton a month now. I met a Canadian in my hometown of Edinburgh, Scotland, and moved here for a year to be with him after his visa ended. Have travelled a lot in my time but wasn’t prepared for these feelings. Working through it now though.

Thanks. x

40 Ellen Orr August 2, 2012 at 8:18 am

I googled “homesickness cure,” and this came up. I’m in Germany for a month, learning the language, and I’m so homesick today. I have a week to go, and this blog post really helped me pull myself together. Thank you!

41 Becca August 7, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Well I would like to say well done for you that you can feel so positive about being away from home.

Here’s my situation:

I failed my driving test at home (where my family are from but in my own flat) 4 times and I needed to pass to get to work as my lift moved to a different team, my partner let me sign a lease on a flat (promising they would move in and half the bills) then didn’t move in and ended up cheating on me. I couldn’t afford my flat or to do anything to see my friends. I got a promotion in work but ended up quitting because I knew I couldn’t get transport anymore. I came to south africa as my estranged father who treated my mum like crap and never paid a penny for me offered to help me with driving lessons. So I accepted. Mum said he owed me and I thought if he was offering help maybe I had a right to accept.

A year on, I left my dads house because I fell in love and married and he didn’t approve. Safe to say I passed my test which I am very happy about.
However, now I don’t have a job, and I’ve been waiting for over a year for the work permits which I’ve been told could be rejected. Also with the economic environment and bbee rules it has been almost impossible to find any opportunities. No one responds to applications.

I sit in my husbands parents house and am happy to help out with cleaning, cooking etc but ultimately have nothing to motivate me. I have no choices, we have no tv in our bedroom and the 5 channels in the living room is mostly governed by parents and most channels are afrikaans. (Which I am trying to learn to live with but miss my old programmes as tv used to be only thing to take my mind off esp comedies etc).

I have a drivers licence now but what is the use of it when I have no car, no money, no friends.
I am not permitted to go out because its so dangerous here and the only exercise is the gym which we can’t afford and makes u sign for a yeaar.
We can’t afford internet and I can’t even walk around the block, as I approach the gate my husbands warnings ring in my ears. I am terrified to go in the street’.

I feel worthless bcoz I can’t contribute to the daily bills etc and have to ask like a child if I need something. Which I appreciate so much but I can’t even buy my husband or his family birthday or xmas presents and end up making cards with pen and paper.

I feel like I’m going insane. I went from a stressful situation to another one and just feel like I keep making the wrong bloody decisions then end up feeling trapped with no choices.

I have been applying for jobs in uk but theyr not interested when they know how far I am want me asap for an interview. Plus I can’t leave my husband as he says he cannot leave south africa until his pension is finalised ( which has been going on for 7 years).

I miss my family so much me and my mum didn’t always get along perfect but living separately in same town we saw eachother at least twice a week for dinner, shopping, watching dvd’s or water aerobics. I am also really close to my godmother and my cousins who are like my younger siblings. I miss my cat who’s my best friend and mum says he’s not been the same since I left poor kitty. Sleeps on my bed pining for me. I feel so guilty.

Mum asks when I’m going to have kids. But cant afford any and even if I did…do I really want to have kids in a place that’s too dangerous to take them out on my own!

This place is beautiful for a holiday but not to live. And the worst part is my husband doesn’t and won’t understand that in the UK you can move around freely on trains etc to get somewhere and you can be a young woman and commute to work and go shopping alone!
He has no idea how much this culture shock has affected me

The worst thing is I made this decision and I love my husband. So what do I do. Stay here and be miserable and trapped or…go home and be without my husband until god knows when his pension is finished. I would miss him too much :(
Why is life so frustrating!

42 Victoria September 1, 2012 at 10:24 am

This post was definitely what I needed. I’m going to be in Hong Kong for the next 4.5 months (on a completely different continent and time zone from Canada) and need to find some ways to cope with my homesickness.. which just kicked in today after seeing some of my friends’ Facebook posts about their outings, etc. You really do learn to appreciate your home more after being away from it. I do not regret coming here one bit though.

I guess it’s true what they say: you never know what you have until it’s gone (or until it’s super far away from you). But so glad to know that I’m not the only one feeling this way!! =)

43 C.S October 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Thank you so much. This was really helpful. I am going to try these activities, maybe that will make me feel better!

44 Dominic(Manenberg) December 2, 2012 at 11:10 am

I am in durban still 2 weeks to go and i miss my son and my mom very much i cry for almost evry nite and i’ve red thru some of the comments and still doesnt help me so i guess i must live with it

45 Ian Tutt January 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Hi Rachel,
I am a US Marine and I’m Stationed in Quantico, VA but I’m from Midland, TX. I was told by my parents that I am the only one in my family affected by homesickness and I have not found anything to subdue my homesickness. I have one of the strongest sibling bonds imaginable with my littlest sister and everytime I talk to her I can’t help but cry my eyes out. Is there any other way I could try to cope with being homesick?

46 Michelle January 9, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I realize you don’t update this blog anymore so you probably won’t read this comment, but I will anyway. Thanks for this post. My boyfriend sent me this because I have bouts of homesickness periodically; I found your advice insightful.

I moved away from my hometown to pursue a health professional degree and have been living here for a little over a year now. It’s my first time living away from home. I was lucky enough to have some relatives in my new city and my boyfriend also moved with me. While there are definitely things I like and don’t like about both my hometown and current city, ultimately for me home is where my family is, so I can’t help but look forward to the day my boyfriend and I move back to my hometown. I didn’t have much of a college life back in undergrad because I’m an introvert by nature, so I suppose in the meantime I should savor this second chance at college life.

My biggest problems so far are making new friends and having a bad habit of idealizing home. I’m introverted and I plan to move back to my hometown anyway, but I’m trying to work on these things more.

47 Michelle January 9, 2013 at 10:22 pm

My boyfriend sent this to me because I have bouts of homesickness periodically. Thanks for this post. It was very insightful.

I moved away from my hometown to pursue a health professional degree. It’s my first time living away from home, but I was lucky enough to have relatives in my new city and my boyfriend also moved with me. While there are definitely things I like and don’t like about my hometown and my current city, ultimately home is where my family is for me, so I can’t help but look forward to the day my boyfriend and I move back to my hometown.

My biggest problems are making new friends and idealizing home. I’m an introvert and I plan to move home anyway, but these are things I’m trying to work on.

48 Dameon Montana March 7, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Thaaaaaannnnnnk u! im a thirty-six year old male who recently felt like crying.(and im generally not a crier). I’ve been away from home(ca) 2 yrs and recently thought i could jus hav flown back on a whelm, but realize i came for a reason and i love my job and education and career opportunities are out of the roof…point blsnk imm sticking and staying..thanks for the ubeat encouragement!!

49 Konjam Yosi March 11, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I totally needed that-freshman year at college and I’m miserable. I’ve moved so many times-5 countries and 11 schools (my parents moved jobs a lot) and I am utterly unhappy-I lived in a small town for 2 years when I came to this country. It was the perfect town-everyone knew everyone, I had friends, people were friendly-white picket fence dream. And I went to college to pursue opportunities and my parents moved (AGAIN!) to Canada. So every time I go home to visit my bf-I hate that he gets to be so damn close to home and I cannot even go back because we don’t live there =(
Thank you for this inspiration-seriously needed it >< (still wish I was in NY rather than Phily)

50 Vicky March 30, 2013 at 3:43 pm

It’s 4am, I live in Australia and home for me is Scotland. I emigrated here 2 years ago but still get so homesick. This post really helped, although I have done a lot of the suggestions like make the city your own. Makes me feel better to read about other people’s experiences on here and realise how many of us are going through this. Today is Easter Sunday so maybe that’s the trigger for me feeling so low today. I find myself stressing a out all sorts of things out with my control eg. who’ll look after my parents in years to come if I’m here?
I’m taking today off work and although I’ve no one to spend Easter Sunday with I’m going to bake lovely things and watch favourite movies, and maybe even a walk along the coast. The little things can be so good for the soul!
And you’re so right, home is not always greener. I know my working conditions here are waaaay better than back home. Just wish I could hug my family more often than once a year! X

51 Elle May 8, 2013 at 9:35 am

I know this is an old blog but i came across it today, feeling really homesick and ive relocated in Houston recently (ok its my second year but still no easier.. ), Im happy to have found this. Thanks for sharing :)

52 Tiffany May 14, 2013 at 1:14 am

Omg this helped me a lot ! I just moved from Virginia to Vancouver, Washington for school lol not really the place I had in mind for school, but this was the only place I could go to follow my dream. I’m away for 20 weeks. I’m halfway through the program but I still have a cry every once in a while. Thanks for this ! I’ll share with my classmates :)

53 Lisa July 16, 2013 at 2:29 am

It’s crazy because I just moved about two hours outside of Houston from New Jersey, to live with my
Boyfriend and to go to school here. I’ve been incredibly homesick. It’s such a culture shock here, nothing feels like home. I’ve been dealing with this for a long time now, and I really just want to get over it.

54 Jen August 23, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I’m swedish and moved away from home 6 years ago when I was 18. I grew up in Stockholm and loved living there but wanted to pursue a dancing carrer so moved to London for a dance degree. I had the best experience of my life there and decided to stay after graduating. I ended up staying for another 3 years after my degree, met an amazing welsh man and ended up moving to Wales beginning of this year. It’s been lonely not living either back home or in London which became my home so those strong homesick feelings have definitely emerged. I love my partner with all my heart and we have beautiful ideas and plans for our future but I can’t help but miss home and think ‘what if’. My partner has a little boy so the option of both of us moving back to Sweden is not an option. I miss my parents, family and friends and also Stockholm, the city I grew up in and Sweden as a country. Even though I’ve always had dreams of living abroad I’m starting to question things as our relationship is very serious and plans of marriage are in the near future…when we have kids will they not get to grow up in Sweden like I did? Will they not go to Swedish schools? Will I always just see my parents 3 times a year? Will I end up feeling like I missed up on sharing my life with my parents? I’m only 25 so I think I may be having a quarter life crisis but I know the next 5 years will fly by and I don’t want to miss out on spending my life with the people I love the most…it’s a very difficult situation to be in and one I never considered I’d end up in when I first moved to London when I was 18…

{ 4 trackbacks }