Le Weekend: To Market, To Market

by Rachel on September 11, 2010

I like my job a lot, but I was seriously so ready for the weekend!

Even though it was a four-day week, I was in the mood for straight chilling. Eric was too so we decided to have a casual dinner-and-Blockbuster date night.

I wasn’t sure what I was in the mood for for dinner, but then I remembered the sweet pizza recipe that Meghann posted last week and I didn’t even bother to ask him for input — I just hit Super Target for the ingredients because I knew it would go over well.

I made a few changes to the recipe: I spread whole milk ricotta cheese on the crust before layering on apples, brie, walnuts, and sauteed onions.

Then I sauteed some green beans in butter for a side dish.

And I told him to eat it and to like it.

Despite his “don’t take my picture” face, he did. We both did! That recipe is a sure-to-satisfy winner.

After dinner we got frozen yogurt and then went to Blockbuster. Eric gets annoyed because every time we’re checking out at Blockbuster, I find some reason to turn to him and say, “God, we really need to switch over to Netflix.” Apparently, I talk about the competition in the checkout line all the time — last weekend I was talking about how great Central Market is when we were checking out at Whole Foods and I do it at Blockbuster, um, every time. Uh, sorry I’m not sorry. First of all, the employees at every Blockbuster I’ve visited recently have been too stoned/distracted/dumb to notice I was talking about Netflix, and I’m willing to bet they don’t care. If they did care, then maybe they wouldn’t be so stoned/distracted/dumb when they were at work. Second, Whole Foods totally owns that they are overpriced; they can either listen to me talk about how Central Market is cheaper/better and change their ways, or they can shrug and say, “Then go shop there with the other poor people who don’t care about the environment.”

But Blockbuster does suck, and yesterday was my final trip there; I came home and signed up for Netflix!

Anyway, we were in the mood for a good documentary so we got “Devil’s Playground,” which is about Amish teenagers. It was OK but I didn’t love it. It reminded me of an episode of “Intervention” — and not even a very good one. But we both agreed documentaries make for great rentals and Netflix has the best documentary selection. If anyone has suggestions for ones I must check out, please share!

After dinner and the movie, he headed back to his apartment and I headed to bed so I could get up for my early morning friend date at the Urban Harvest farmers market!

Consider this two of my homesickness cures: make your new city your city and do things with your new friends! I had gone to this market before, but it was nice to go with a Houston native who could point me in the direction of all the best stands.

My favorite pork stand — Revival Meats — didn’t have the ground pork I wanted this time, so I went to the Olde World Farms stand, where I got really good sirloin last time.

Well, I like to think of it as “ye olde sirloine.”

I stocked up on ground pork, Italian sausage, and more sirloin. I like to stock up when I’m buying local meat; I can always freeze it and not worry if I don’t make it to the farmers market every weekend. Texas meat is just…so good.

I also needed eggs and was told that Hattermann’s were the best!

Those are actually green eggs, which I didn’t know were a real thing outside of Dr. Seuss books. To go with the eggs, I got amazing local bacon from The Grateful Bread and really soft goat cheese from Pola. I also picked up some tart cherry mustard (I love condiments, and mustard is in my top three) and I restocked my honey supply with a new local bottle from Bee Wilde.

In between shopping, we also did a lot of tasting — a huge vegan cinnamon roll, pumpkin bread, mango salad, my first taste of chorizo, mole, and rillettes…just so many bites here and there! We also did a lot of sweating; it was blazing hot at 9:30 when we got there.

After shopping, Taylor (new friend) and I got drinks and sat in the shade chatting and getting to know each other. It was really nice to just hang out with another girl and she’s just very wise. We hung out until I started to completely melt and worried about my food doing the same, and then parted ways.

And now I’m just cooling off and thinking of going and making some sort of fabulous omelet for lunch! After that, my plans include doing Core Fusion and another friend date this evening (I know…popularity!!!!).

What are you guys up to this weekend? Anyone  else start things off with a great meal or trip to the farmers market?

1 Laura Georgina September 11, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Oh, I’m so glad I’m not the only one that talks about the competition in line–I have the WORST habit of talking about books I’m gonna get for my e-book reader while at the wonderful bookstore back in Buffalo (I’m not sorry, either–I have to pick only books I CAN’T get online and make the most of my luggage space).

I recently DVR’d a documentary about Afghan version of American Idol that I’d heard was really cool and died of disappointment when I found out the station showed it without subtitles. But yeah, give it a shot and let me know if it’s as cool as people say it is!

2 Danielle September 11, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I think that going to Farmers Markets are such a great way to feel connected to the (new) community! Talking with the local growers and makers of food…

I started off this weekend with sleeping later than usual! Ha. And then – having a great run. I’m really starting to like running…

3 Melinda September 11, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I got inspired by your anti-pumpkin latte post, took my awesome new Belgian student fold up bike and road around my new city (Gent) until I bumped into a market place and viola – they had a bag of pre-cut pumpkin bits that I could not pass up. Fried them up with some cinnamon, honey and butta – and thought of you :) Tomorrow I plan to hit the weekly Sunday flower market, which I stumbled upon randomly a few weeks ago and have been dreaming of fresh cut flowers for my windowsill ever since.. Thanks for all of your wonderful tips and inspiration you’ve brought to my new surroundings!

4 Rachel September 11, 2010 at 3:20 pm

@Melinda — Pumpkin bits?! I love it!! And I’m so glad you took on your new city and got out and about! It’s a good feeling! :)

5 Melinda September 12, 2010 at 4:29 am

Thanks, it totally is. I’m also really glad I just read that – as it’s Sunday morning, I woke up and was contemplating staying in. …Not anymore! :) p.s. I saw ‘Babies’ in the theater twice – there are no words the entire movie, but it’s just fascinating – I highly recommend it!

6 Rachel September 12, 2010 at 8:19 am

I forgot how much I wanted to see “Babes” when it came out!! Totally, totally, totally adding that to the queue.

7 Libby September 11, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Okay, my favorite recent documentaries:
Monster Camp – about LARPing. Nerdy awesomeness.
Herb and Dorothy – cute old couple with CRAZY art collection.
Every Little Step – documentary about auditions for A Chorus Line revival. Kind of obvious conceit, but very fun and VERY well done.
Who the F*!? Is Jackson Pollock – Woman is certain she has a Pollock. Awesome.
Pageant – about the Miss Gay America Pageant. Very respectful yet funny and moving.

And then two older classics: Pumping Iron and Basketball Diaries.

Do either of y’all have a PS3 or a Wii? You can watch most of these instantly on your tv from those consoles.

And there is my movie-loving geekery for the day!

8 Rachel September 12, 2010 at 8:16 am

Libby — I was literally on the Netflix web site when you posted that, so I immediately started with “Every Little Step.” It totally brought out my inner musical theater nerd!! Also, I found out last night how to screen to my awesome TV (seriously, my roommate is a tech lover so our TV is so big/clear it’s almost offensive). I can’t wait to check out more of these!

9 Bridget@PavementandPlants September 11, 2010 at 6:22 pm

A Wink and a Smile-The art of burlesque- About the Seattle Burlesque scene
Last Dance-About a dance troupe’s interpretation of the Holocaust
Ballerina-About the Russian Ballerinas
King Corn- A lot of people found this boring, but I liked it. Two students grow their own acre of corn.
Thin-About women in treatment for eating disorders and what they go through
American Teen-The students in this film actually were in Austin for SXSW-it’s about their senior year of high school and all the drama.

I think they are also listed in order of my favorites.
And thank you for the website-I already signed up !!!!!

10 Sher September 11, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Last fave documentary- Spirit of the marathon! Its available online on hulu so you dont even have to wait to watch! Loved it! Its about the journey of few runners and shows WHY they love running and their trials and tribulations! I CANNOT run more than a 5k but was SO inspired by the video! Happy working it on the elliptical for now :D

11 Rachel September 12, 2010 at 8:17 am

Oooh I started that last winter after I ran the Disney marathon but never finished it! That might be a good one to watch with Eric…ya know, guys like their sports and shit.

12 Martha September 11, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Ha I LOVE me some good docs… Have you ever watched True Life on MTV? Its basically a series of 1 hour docs.. not bad, some of them. My fave docs are:
-Jesus Camp (about kids who go to evangelical religious camps)
-The Food We Eat (basically about Monsanto)
-Spellbound (about kids in spelling bees, actually really good)
– Young @ Heart (AMAZING doc about this choir of seniors that sing punk songs)

13 Rachel September 12, 2010 at 8:18 am

I LOVE SPELLBOUND! I think it’s my favorite one. And Jesus Camp is just sort of sad/disturbing. But I’ll have to check out the other two!

14 Cynthia (It All Changes) September 11, 2010 at 8:14 pm

After no sleep last night (thank you insomnia) I went to a new farmers’ market and fell in love with maple cotton candy. Yes it was awesome and I’m not listening to it calling my name from the closet.

15 Natalie (Scarlett Notions) September 11, 2010 at 8:25 pm

For an interesting – and pretty crazy – documentary, I’d recommend “Party Monster.” It’s both a documentary and an actual movie on club kids in NYC in the 1990s.

16 Rachel September 12, 2010 at 8:18 am

Oh yes, I’ve heard of that…adding it to the list!

17 Chris September 12, 2010 at 3:29 am

I am so envious where we live(in France) it closes down for sundays there is nothing going on at all , when the weather is bad I would love to have somewhere to go to break the monotany , but today the sun is shining so I think it is into the garden .
I love reading your blog , I am considerable older than you but I have allways been a person with my own thoughts and views ,and I am proud to say my daughter is very much her own person.

18 Rachel September 12, 2010 at 8:18 am

Chris — don’t be envious! I dream about living in France with nothing to do all the time. :)

And thank you for reading and for the compliment!!

19 Triz September 12, 2010 at 4:20 am

You absolutely need to watch Friday Night Lights (series) if you haven’t before! It is just fantastic and plus goes with your new living situation. :)

20 Rachel September 12, 2010 at 8:19 am

Okay seriously, I have been telling Eric that “Friday Night Lights” should be our next tv-on-dvd series to get into and he didn’t think so…THIS CONFIRMS IT!!!!!

21 Anna September 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm

My boyfriend and I also JUST got netflix, after a $10 trip to blockbuster for 2 movies where we were like wtf why are we still doing this??? Netflix has made us SUPER excited about life hahaha, I didn’t know you could get workout dvd’s too!! I haven’t seen any new documentaries lately (well except the history channel’s “A Global WARNING?” I had to show to the Climatology class I am TA-ing…..yeahhh.) but for movies in general I just saw Away We Go with John Krasinsky, SO GOOD. A laugh+cry movie, not too chickflicky so perfect for a date night!

22 Jessica September 15, 2010 at 9:37 am

I second ‘Young At Heart’- this was so cute!

Also…
‘The September Issue’ – I’m sure you’ve heard of this one, about Vogue’s September issue.
‘The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill’ – amazing story of a man who befriends the wild parrots in a neighborhood of San Francisco.
‘Bigger, Faster, Stronger’ – fascinating and very personal story about steroid use in American life. I met the filmmaker at a film festival and he was very cool!
‘No Impact Man’ – based on the blog and book of Colin Beaven.
‘Man on Wire’ – Artistic and beautifully shot film about the French acrobat who tight-rope walked between the twin towers many years ago.
‘Please Vote for Me’ – An adorable short (30-45 minutes, I think?) about Chinese children who learn about democracy at school.

And if you haven’t seen it already, try to Netflix Morgan Spurlock’s series, ’30 Days’!