Rachel Getting Hungry: Displays of Gratitude

by Rachel on September 14, 2010

Like I said this morning, I wanted to thank Eric for letting me borrow his car and the easiest way to do that was with food. (HA — I’m totally lying. The second easiest way to do that was with food.)  Like I said, I made a big batch of pumpkin butterscotch cookies and he took most of them to the office today.

Hmmm. It was a nice compliment, but I wasn’t so sure.

I mean, I wouldn’t blame him — the cookies are SO good — but I’d still judge him.

Anyway, knowing that I was bringing such delicious treats last night meant I wanted to keep dinner light and healthy. I was flipping through magazines looking for recipes and I found a Southwest turkey burger in the new Cooking Light. It looked good, but it had more ingredients than I wanted to deal with. I decided turkey burgers with homemade chipotle mayo would be a simple and easy way to make a similar turkey burger happen.

So I made the turkey burgers, put a batch of Alexa waffle fries in the oven, prepared some steam-in-the-bag veggies, and then down to the business of the special mayo. I had found a three ingredient chipotle mayo recipe — um, done and done! I combined 1/2 cup + one tablespoon of mayo, two chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (chopped), and one tablespoon of the adobo sauce. It took like three minutes and it was just what the turkey burgers needed.

I could have just eaten the waffle fries for dinner and called it a night — and goddamn, those Alexa waffle fries are good! — but the turkey burgers turned out really well. That chipotle mayo was spot on. It definitely had a kick. Eric described it as “having some stank on it!” and I asked him to refrain from using the word “stank” in reference to my cooking.

Then again, I guess if it’s a display of gratitude for him, he can describe it however he likes.

1 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write September 14, 2010 at 2:39 pm

My hubby’s coworkers eat my cookies like gangbusters, too. Altho, I’m fairly sure hubby eats atleast 3 on the way to work. :p

2 Retta @ RunRettaRun September 14, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I don’t make goodies for The Lover’s work friends b/c he is way stingy w/ my goodies. I like that. ;)

3 Dori September 14, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I wish I knew how to do these computer Photoshop things you do.

4 Colleen September 14, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I had my first Turkey Burger the other night at a friend’s house, and even though they were accidentally undercooked, it was pretty delicious. But are Turkey Burgers pretty processed? I wouldn’t mind buying some myself if I could find some that are just turkey meat, but most of them seem to have other additives. Any suggestions?

5 Sam September 15, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I just went vegetarian (I hate admitting it because that looks so damn good….maybe I like eating animals again?) I used to love turkey burgers though. I remember having one from Whole Foods that was one you have dreams about.

Also, I love how optimistic you’re staying throughout the car sitch! I’ve been there this year before (my transmission stopped working in the middle of a major Chicago highway – talk about freak out) you’re a good inspiration for the next time that happens to me!

6 Rachel September 15, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Sam — Thanks! It really hasn’t been easy because it’s SO frustrating. I’m housebound today and tomorrow and I hate feeling dependent on others and limited in what I can do…but there’s no point in destroying everyone in my path, right!? And that sucks about your transmission…I guess I don’t have it so bad!