Project Food Blog

by Rachel on September 18, 2010

Fact: I rarely win contests. The crowd will like me and I’ll be really proud of what I did, but there’s always that “But we can’t take her home to mom problem. And really, no matter the contest, I’ve accepted the simple fact that comedy never beats drama. So now I just enter them because it’s a fun and entertaining personal challenge.

Anyway, Foodbuzz, the ad network I use, is hosting a contest right now: Project Food Blog. The idea is simple: 1,800+ bloggers, 10 challenges, one winner. The first challenge is to create a blog post and answer the question, “What defines you as a food blogger?”

Like I said, comedy never beats drama, but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy playing for fun.

1 Chanelle September 18, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I don’t drink but LOVE this… and I TOTALLY have one of those milk vibrators ;-)

2 Jennifer@ knackfornutrition September 18, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I just watched your entry video and laughed out loud multiple times. I hope this shocks the shit out of the judges and that you get to move on to round 2.

3 Rachel September 18, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Thanks, dude! I edited this in pieces and really didn’t think it was that shocking until I watched it beginning to end.

Now I’m pretty sure I broke the “don’t offend our sponsors” rule multiple times…but I stand by my work.

4 Warren Dostie March 14, 2011 at 9:54 am

Ride the wave. Just don’t lose it.

5 sarah @ syrupandhoney September 18, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Sweet video clip montage! The not being able to take you home to mom comment reminded me to tell you that my mom reads your blog. I sent her The Five Stages of Getting Weight Loss Grief because she received backhanded comments from haters when she lost weight, and she’s been following you ever since.

6 Rachel September 18, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Ha I almost put a line in there that said, “Your mom reads my blog” but I decided not to. But I guess it’s true!!

But thanks for sharing my blog — that’s the best compliment ever.

7 Heather September 18, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Ha, OK, I’m really glad you admitted to liking ketchup. I don’t know why, but I just am. And I almost fell off my bed laughing at the part about the milk vibrator!

8 Aj September 18, 2010 at 4:16 pm

THIS IS HILARIOUS! Our highest form of compliment for food is “it’s basically an O in my mouth” so this is food blogging I can get behind (and on top of)!

I’m going to own that I do judge other people’s shopping carts at the grocery store. Not on chocolate! But crazy combinations that seem to negate themselves…..ice cream, steak, tater tots and….komucha?!?! or it’s a window into that person’s life…12 lean cuisines, diet coke, and cat food…you’re single for sure.

9 Rachel September 18, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I literally LOLd at “you’re single for sure.” See also: “I am a fucking stereotype.” It’s like, when I know my basket is a window to my personality, I don’t know whether to hide it or just flaunt it. Generally I flaunt it.

10 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) September 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm

HAHA! Rachel, OMG. I wish I could see the look on the judges face when they see this!! Amazing.

11 Triz September 18, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Hey now – let’s not be negative! There’s a reader’s choice pick that goes through in each round too! And we sure like the fun. :)

I *think* this is where you go (in one day, when voting opens) to vote for Rachel:

12 emily September 18, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I can’t decide whether I love you or hate you for this – on one hand it was the funniest thing I’ve ever freaking seen on a blog; on the other I’ll be singing “Mary Moon” for the rest of the afternoon and I’m going to have to like to bone a whole fricking lot to make up to the husband for my solo opera.

13 Leah @ L4L September 18, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Love it but obviously you didn’t read rule 1 of the contest… “Blog Post may not be sexually explicit or suggestive, …” It was a good laugh and I hope you get picked regardless! :)

14 Rachel September 18, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I mean, I saw the rule, but saying you can’t be suggestive is basically saying I can’t enter!!!

15 Dori September 18, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I LOVE this! Rach, the video is amazing. I am so impressed with your editing skills and your ability to find the humor (and the sex) in everything. I actually never saw your latte vibrator before. You deserve to win for originality.

16 Val @ Balancing Val September 19, 2010 at 5:33 pm

What an awesome entry. You are hilarious! :) And I totally agree, no salads on the first date!

17 Anna September 20, 2010 at 8:39 am

I laughed multiple times during this video–awesome! I think this would have made an awesome “best of” type video even if it wasn’t for a contest. This really almost makes me want to cook.

18 Trinidad Pena September 20, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Can you vote more than once? I tried but then it cancels the vote! Boo!

19 Sarah September 20, 2010 at 9:37 pm

um how much fun are you?! I dig making videos too-and of course i totally voted for you! Good luck!

20 Christie {Honoring Health} September 21, 2010 at 9:14 am

Love this video, laughed out loud multiple times. Very refreshing change of pace from pictures of oatmeal.

21 Rachel September 21, 2010 at 10:20 am

THANK YOU! Seriously, that means a lot.

22 Min September 21, 2010 at 10:02 am

“we are not going to let our inner sluts start enabling our inner fatties” LOVED it! So fun. Hope you’ll check out my post too.
Good luck!

23 Rachel September 21, 2010 at 10:20 am

Thanks, lady!! I voted for you too!

24 Jacob's Kitchen September 21, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Great post! And hilarious video! I look forward to seeing more from you in the future. I voted for you! =)

Good luck!

You can check out my PFB post at : http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/1/view/503

25 Isabel September 21, 2010 at 5:08 pm

You are hilarious! I love your blog already, can’t wait to read/see more of you!

26 Lisa Orgler September 21, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I LOVE your challenge entry. Very creative and fun. Actually, your whole site is endearing! Good luck!!

27 Rachel September 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Thank you!!

28 Lick My Spoon September 23, 2010 at 3:27 pm

It seems like your blog is as much about life as it is about food. Your video is hilarious! Can’t wait to see what’s next, you’ve got our vote!

Lick My Spoon

29 Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks November 10, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I just watched this for the first time, as I saw it linked on your post on Hollaback Health.

Let me just say that this was awesome. Seriously awesome. Witty, endearing and real! I am so sick of all of these bloggers who don’t even seem like real people…like they’re too perfect. Sure, maybe they’re like this in their personal lives, but I want to see that realness on their blogs. It’s what keeps me coming back!

It may be true that a video like this might be a little too awesome to beat out posts on banana soft serve and the like, but if I had seen this originally, regardless of how many rules you may’ve broken, I would’ve voted for you!

30 Warren Dostie March 14, 2011 at 9:49 am

Great video! The ole vodka trick is a good tip for young hustlers out there. Required reading in the how to pick up………manual

31 jam September 27, 2011 at 2:14 am

I’m way late to the party but I just had to say that you’re freakin HILARIOUS.