Bedding Down

by Rachel on September 23, 2010

Seriously, I don’t know what is going on with me this week, but I can’t remember the last time I’ve felt this consistently sleep-deprived for no apparent reason. Sleep is probably the most important thing to my healthy and happy lifestyle. I don’t give up sleep for anything.*

I most certainly don’t give it up to just stare at my blinds or play with my phone at 2 AM. I don’t give it up to read blogs at 6 AM. But that’s what I’ve been doing this week because I cannot sleep.

I hate not getting enough sleep. I drives me crazy when people are constantly complaining they are tired; to that I say, “Go to bed earlier!” Our generation is a sleepy, nap-loving one, and I’m convinced it’s because people spend too much time watching crappy reality reruns on Bravo and MTV. I don’t waste my sleep time and therefore I’m rarely tired. I take a few naps a year and I’m pretty sure that’s due to my commitment to my bed.

So that’s why I’m so pissed off that I currently have the red-eyed, dark-circled look of someone who chooses not to sleep. I have good time management skills! I have a sleep mask! I should be able to get through my day without completely losing my train of thought every five seconds!

It’s taking every bit of energy I have — which isn’t much — to fight the sleep munchies. And, I do apologize, but that’s the energy I normally use for writing coherent blog posts. I could have written something for today…but I think that may have sent me elbow-deep into a bag of tortilla chips. I love you guys, but when it comes to life decisions, I will choose my ass over you. I don’t think you want the knowledge of my jeans feeling snug weighing on your conscience today, so I’m just going to quit while I’m ahead.

I shall return.

*For real…ask any guy.

1 MelissaNibbles September 23, 2010 at 7:48 am

I feel ya. I take Tylenol PM and still can’t sleep.

2 Dori September 23, 2010 at 7:48 am

I haven’t slept since the middle of December. Even went to my regular doctor and a sleep doctor. It really sucks… I am sure you will get back on track soon though.

3 Cynthia (It All Changes) September 23, 2010 at 7:52 am

I’m the late watching reruns of BRAVO (even the same episode I just watched). Mine comes with medical troubles.

I’m sorry you are having trouble. Sleep is crapping on you this week and I actually like this simple post. Tell your bed to wake up and remember what it’s job is. GIVE RACHEL SOME SLEEP!!!!!

4 Mimi September 23, 2010 at 8:33 am

Getting enough sleep is one of the most essential parts to my overall happiness. Still, sometimes my schedule just doesn’t allow it. Boo.

5 Rachel Eberhard September 23, 2010 at 8:33 am

Try melatonin–you can find it at health food stores like Whole Foods. Your body produces it naturally, and I seem to konk out within 20 minutes of taking it. HOWEVER, it will only help you FALL asleep, not necessarily KEEP you asleep (a la Tylenol PM). The plus side to this is that you won’t feel groggy in the morning–sweet dreams!

6 Rachel's Mom September 23, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I know a parent who gives their kid melatonin and they swear by it.

7 zenlizzie September 23, 2010 at 8:36 am

I’ve found that sometimes hormones (PMS, whatever) can keep me from sleep, especially if it is a “wtf-week long” ordeal rather than a long term thing. No real solution, but it was an interesting realization.

I hate hate hate not getting enough sleep, and it has only been recently that I realized how much better I feel and function when I’m sleeping a normal amount at normal times. Unfortunately, now those 5 and 6-hour nights aren’t cutting it.

8 Val @ Balancing Val September 23, 2010 at 8:49 am

I get in these cycles too a lot. I take L-tryptophan to boot me back up, weird dreams but DEEP SLEEP. Life Extension makes a good one :)

9 Manon September 23, 2010 at 8:53 am

Ugh….I’ve been struggling with the whole sleep thing for the last THREE MONTHS. I even talked to my doctor about it and have tried her suggestions, a bedtime routine, like have tea an hour before bed, or take tylenol PM…it doesn’t work. She also suggested waking up at the same time every day which I think is my problem–I get up at 4:45 to workout before work, and I’m sure as hell not doing that on the weekends. So, I sleep in a bit on Sunday, then can’t get to sleep on Sunday night, and start my week sleep deprived and never catch up. Sigh….

10 Lisa @ I'm an Okie September 23, 2010 at 9:07 am

Is that your bed? LOVE the wall color.

Here’s to hoping sleep is in your future :)

11 Rachel September 23, 2010 at 2:33 pm

It is indeed my bed! Thank you!!

12 shelby @ eatdrinkrun September 23, 2010 at 9:46 am

Gah – I’ve had the same problem this week; I’m not sure why. I’ll get myself ALL ready for bed at a decent hour – teeth brushed, face washed, bra removed – and then decide I need to check Twitter or whatever one last time. Next thing I know it’s 1:30 AM.

I’ve never tried any of the supplements mentioned in the comments above. Interesting.

13 Laura Georgina September 23, 2010 at 10:40 am

Story of my life! May I suggest Sudoku puzzles before bed? It helps me clear my mind of all the buzzing (otherwise known about thinking when you have a million things going on) and puts me in a more Zen mood for sleeping.

Or read a book on cricket–better yet, have someone read it to you. Sooooo boring. THAT is what works for me every single time.

14 Rachel September 23, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Sudoku doesn’t work for me (you know I’m a words girl, not a numbers girl) but maybe I will try something like that!

I’m totally going to try to convince Eric to read me bedtime stories.

15 Lauren September 23, 2010 at 1:01 pm

For the last 3 nights I’ve been having similar feelings. I toss and turn and just stare at the ceiling for hours. And it’s leaving me looking like a zombie in class. I was reading the other comments and have to agree with the melatonin. I actually forgot I had it and will definitely be returning to it tonight.
Good luck getting your sleep back on track!

16 Aj September 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Good grief, I’ve had chronic insomnia since I was an infant. For real, my mom said I used to just lay awake in my crib…how creepy horror movie is that? And I love sleep! I love to be asleep! I love to wake up well rested! I love falling asleep! I just wish sleep loved be back. I take an Rx to help sleep during the week when it’s crucial I get enough shut eye. I also swear by the book “Say Good Night to Insomnia.” It changed my life. I am also more than happy to provide a copy of my dissertation to assist you in falling asleep.

17 Libby September 23, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I’ve been a benadryl and/or lexapro at bedtime person for eons. It’s tough, but if it’s a choice between having some chemicals or getting no sleep I’m going for the medicine.

Also, your apron in your Project Food Blog contestant photo is adorable.

18 Rachel September 23, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Thank you!! Got it from an awesome Etsy shop — more details here…

I want to get a new one this fall!

19 Retta @ RunRettaRun September 23, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I’ve had serious sleep issues lately and it’s not been pretty. I’m a downright ugly bitch w/ no sleep. I also OD on Tylenol PM and still struggle w/ sleep. Sucks mayjah balls.

Fingers crossed we’ll both get a good night’s rest soon. If not, I may get fired for workplace violence.

20 Dani September 23, 2010 at 3:08 pm

If the photo is of your room, I LOVE the color on the wall! Hope you get some good sleep real soon.

21 rebekah (clarity in creation.) September 30, 2010 at 12:20 pm

too funny – i just wrote a post complaining about this. i hope you have caught a nap since then! and i cracked up about the insomnia munchies… since i’ve been up at such odd hours, it’s not uncommon for the feasting to start at 2, 3, 4am… whatever!