Friday Foodgasm: Girl, Put Your Apron On…

by Rachel on September 24, 2010

Yesterday was a very, very long day, and it ended with a very long session in the kitchen (not that I have any problem with that)!

After running a million errands, but before hitting Eric’s happy hour, we went to HEB to get all the groceries I needed. I have a very big food weekend ahead!

By the time I had finished my glass of wine and had my chest ogled by a dozen engineers, I was so ready to get home and put my apron on!

First up: creamy white chili via Eat, Live, Run.

I made this bowl of goodness while Eric and I started working our way through Mad Men Season Two (I’ve seen them all; he’s a newcomer this season). This was actually a recipe she got from BethT, who also created the to-die-for butter soaked chocolate chip cookies I made a few weeks ago. I subbed in ground white turkey for chicken (I hate cutting raw chicken), but other than that, I followed the recipe perfectly. Per Jenna’s recommendation, I also got the Central Market green chile chips and per Eric’s request, we picked up some blue beer.

OK…these chips taste like Cool Ranch Doritos for grown-ups (minus the vile breath and greasy, crumb-coated fingers)! And the beer is actually blue, or so he learned when he watched some girl drink too much and puke it up. It reminded me of what Violet Beauregard would be drinking today if she hadn’t, uh, died in the chocolate factory.

The chili was so good; my favorite thing about traditional chili is topping it with cheese and drinking a glass of milk with it because, well, dairy and spice are just great together. But because this chili contains sour cream and half-and-half, you get that effect built right in! (I also still topped it with cheese, which tasted fantastic, but it totally led to a “Ohhhh, why did I ignore the Lactaid?” moment after I finished the creamy, cheesy chili and my fro-yo. Lesson learned.) I might actually stop by the grocery store on my way home today to get more turkey so I can make another batch. After serving myself, Eric, and my roommate last night, plus bringing leftovers for my boss to try today (she loved it!!) and for my own lunch, I’m not going to have any left for the weekend. And I want to have it again a few times this weekend.

It’s that good.

Dessert was homemade tart frozen yogurt that I made in my new ice cream maker earlier this week!

More on the ice cream maker later; for now I’ll just say that it obviously works very well.

Now, this would have been quite a legit night of cooking all on its own, but I was simultaneously preparing for tonight’s dinner too! My imaginary friend Caitlin is coming to Houston to celebrate her twenty-sixth year this weekend, and I’m making her a birthday dinner tonight! I don’t want to give away too much just yet, but here are some clues: the whole menu is campfire-inspired and here are some pictures of what I started on last night…

I. Can’t. Wait.

By the end of the night, I was pretty stuffed and tired from having such a long day, cooking the food, eating the food, and then doing the four rounds of dishes. I removed my filthy apron and collapsed on top of Eric while Don Draper fingerbanged Bobbie Barrett to prove a point in the background.

I’m glad most of the cooking for tonight is done! I have another super-busy afternoon and I really want to squeeze in a workout before the festivities begin! Given the menu for tonight, plus the two-day pass I have to the Houston Food & Wine Festival this weekend, a little cardio seems prudent.

In the meantime, I’m just going to e-mail Satan to see if he’d take my soul in exchange for a higher metabolism and lower body weight. Hoping I hear back before too long; anyone ever contacted the customer service line in Hell before? I can only imagine it’s about the equivalent of any government office.

I’ll keep ya posted! Have a delicious Friday night!

1 Laura Georgina September 24, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I would gladly crunch on a boxful of Lactaids for THAT dinner.

(and re: Jenna’s recipes–I made her cinnamon muffins this morning, with added chopped apple. I now know what breakfast food I’m coming back as in my next life!)

2 Rachel September 24, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Mmmm I want to make those for Eric soon! He loves cinnamon sugar!!

3 Lexi September 25, 2010 at 7:37 am

I was thinking the same thing about the Lactaids haha. I am a glutton for punishment because I still own an ice cream maker and use it on a regular basis. Ha

4 Cassie September 24, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Ooh, I am definitely making that chili for this weekend. The weather is finally turning a bit cooler here in Chicago, and this seems like the perfect dish to mark that occasion!

5 Bess September 24, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Love your reference to Violet Beauregarde who is one of my favorite movie characters (at least she went out with a Foodgasm).

also, can’t wait to see the recipe for that S’mores-y looking dessert so that I can figure out how to veganize it!

6 Sophie @ yumventures September 24, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I made that chili this week too!! Except I made it in my crock pot, so there was almost no work in involved. I LOVE the slightly sour note of the sour cream — soooooo good!

7 Caitlin September 24, 2010 at 1:50 pm

OMG. I cannot freaking wait. Campfire theme?! Girl you know how I do. I hope everyone is insanely jealous. I know I would be.

8 ashleigh September 24, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Wow! Everything looks so good! I can’t wait to see what you make for Caitlin, I am sure it will be delicious.
Let me know how the chat w/ satan goes ;)

9 Ashley September 24, 2010 at 2:50 pm

WOW! I’ve been looking for a real white chicken chili recipe since the one I use is straight up off of the McCormick spice packet.

I detect some sort of s’mores based dessert … looking forward to the reveal of Caitlin’s birthday treat!

10 Tara September 24, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Let me just say, I love that someone else is as inappropriate as I am. I know your blog is about…uh, the content! but I always get way too caught up on everything else…I F’ing Love It, Rachel Wilkerson!

“It reminded me of what Violet Beauregard would be drinking today if she hadn’t, uh, died in the chocolate factory.”

“I removed my filthy apron and collapsed on top of Eric while Don Draper fingerbanged Bobbie Barrett to prove a point in the background.”

“In the meantime, I’m just going to e-mail Satan to see if he’d take my soul in exchange for a higher metabolism and lower body weight.”

Enough Said!

11 Manon September 24, 2010 at 3:52 pm

That chili looks A-MAZING!!! I was going to make your poor woman’s chicken & dumplings this weekend, but I may make this instead!

12 Carla September 24, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Try shredding up a pre-made store bought rotisserie chicken for the chili. I too hate raw chicken!

13 Cynthia (It All Changes) September 24, 2010 at 9:28 pm

That dinner definitely looks like it was worth the stomach troubles. And since you bought more turkey you’ll be eating a bunch :-)

14 Elizabeth September 24, 2010 at 9:42 pm

You are so freaking witty I just can’t get enough. And what is that chocolate thing because it looks amazing! Yummy!