Campfire Birthday Dinner

by Rachel on September 25, 2010

Well, the bad news is, I’m still on hold with customer support in Hell. The good news is, I got a nice spin in yesterday evening.

As I said yesterday, Caitlin’s birthday dinner was campfire-inspired. I had been planning to make s’more brownies after seeing them on Jacob’s Kitchen. And what else do you eat with s’mores?

On Wednesdsay my mom sent me a recipe for some seriously baller hot dogs. Apples and cheddar on hot dogs? Um, yeah, it was definitely on the shortlist for dinner. Then later that day, I was flipping through the new Food & Wine magazine, and oh — there was the same recipe! Clearly, the universe was trying to tell me something.

I loved the whole fancy hot dog idea, and I thought it would be good to have a light dinner, since dessert was so rich.

The recipe called for pretzel rolls, which I have seen in a few recipes lately. I wasn’t sure I could find them, but I didn’t want plain old hot dog buns. But…Central Market to the rescue! They had the pretzel rolls, which are doughy and salty, just like soft pretzels.

Besides the buns, I just needed a green apple and a block of cheddar cheese.

I love Cracker Barrel blocks of cheese. They taste great for the price, plus the word “cracker” just makes me laugh.

These hot dogs are good party food because they are so fast and easy! First, I sauteed the apples in butter and brown sugar. Then I just grilled the wieners and slipped them in the buns, which I lined with the thinly-sliced cheese. Then I popped everything in the 450 degree oven for about five minutes so the cheese could melt.

And then I topped them with the warm apples!

So not your traditional campfire food.

Um PS I love pretzel rolls so much, I’d probably marry them.

After working our way through our hot dogs — it took a while, as we were chatting so much — it was time for dessert!

Making the s’more brownies was pretty easy. I melted a half a stick of butter and combined it with a cup of graham cracker crumbs and 1/4 cup of sugar, and then pressed into the bottom of a brownie pan. Then I poured on from-a-box brownie mix (sorry I’m not sorry) and baked them according to the box directions. When it came time to serve, I topped the entire thing with marshmallows and stuck it under the broiler.

You know how sometimes when you’re making s’mores, you stop paying attention and you burn your marshmallow? Uh, yeah. Same goes for s’more brownies.

I rarely mess up in the kitchen like this, so I was pretty bummed.

The good news is, they were so charred, the burned part pulled right off and we could get to the good stuff. I cut us each slices and scooped out some homemade pumpkin ice cream to go with it.

So gooey. So good.

And that pumpkin ice cream was fucking magical.

I’m off to run some errands and hopefully find something to wear to Caitlin’s real birthday dinner tonight, before heading to the food and wine outing! And honestly, I’m just really excited for it to be lunch time so I can make another hot dog.

Have a great Saturday!

1 Dori September 25, 2010 at 10:35 am

Everything looks and sounds so so so amazing! My mouth is watering, especially at the pretzel rolls and the DESSERT. Wow!

2 Meredith @ An Epic Change September 25, 2010 at 10:38 am

I actually purposely burn my marshmallows…. I think they’re so amazing with that charred taste!!!! mmmmm

3 Caitlin September 25, 2010 at 10:45 am

You know, I was wondering if those were pretzel rolls but my mouth was so busy flailing with foodgasm that I forgot to ask. Superb dinner!

Also, I can’t stop thinking about those s’mores. Top 5 dessert list for sure.

4 Carolyn @ lovinlosing September 25, 2010 at 10:49 am

Holy cow! I might have to make a run to the grocery store so I can make those brownies.

5 katie September 25, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I’ve had several people tell me that boxed brownie mix is just as good if not better than making them from scratch. so really, no need to be sorry for that one;) and yes, I’ve had several instances of burning smores brownies myself – so hard not to do.

6 Rachel's Mom September 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I wondered if anyone would really be able to find pretzel rolls for those hot dogs. I guess I’ll have to look around here and see if anyone has them. Would these be possible for the Halloween party…maybe to make ahead and keep warm? Or would you have to make them on the spot?

Those marshmallows were SO burned I thought that they WERE the brownies when I first looked at the picture. I keep thinking, “She said put the marshmellows on top of the brownies, so why am I seeing brownies on top of the marshmallows???” HA!

7 Cate September 25, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. That dessert looks unbelievably good! I am definitely going to make both the s’more brownies and pumpkin ice cream.

8 Elizabeth September 25, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Holy smores that looks amazing! I am definitely going to make this!

9 Ashley September 25, 2010 at 5:48 pm

That all looks so amazing! I’m going to be trying both very soon. Caitlin is very lucky!

10 Giulia Gentile September 26, 2010 at 12:33 pm

mmmmm…everything looks so good! Definitely trying the “classy” hotdog! Also, the word “Foodgasm”…is amazing

11 lauren September 27, 2010 at 10:59 am

those s’mores brownie things look OUT OF CONTROL delicious. i may have to make them tonight.

12 Megan H September 27, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Pretzel rolls!? How the holy heck have I never heard of such a thing before? Those weiners look amazing. I love the combo of apples and cheese (especially in fondue!). And pretzels and cheese. And hot dogs and cheese. So all of those things mixed together – sounds like a foodgasm.